Spreadsheet for Folded Horn Layouts...

Introducing BOXPLAN-BP6P. This workbook can be used to model a parallel-tuned 6th order BP box. Parallel-tuning does offer an interesting advantage over series-tuned that I've come across in the sims - it's possible to reduce quite a bit of the out of band noise (which "colours" the output of the system and reduces it's ability to reduce distortion) by careful selection of vent sizes, lengths, volume sizes and lengths, and driver placement. So far I haven't been able to come across that "unicorn", which would be a design that has significant reduction of the out of band noise, with dimensions that can actually be fit into a box, but I've come pretty close.

Image 1:
input screen for BOXPLAN-BP6P

Image 2:
Corresponding sim'd output, parameters adjusted to reduce out of band noise.

Image 3:
"Unicorn" sim. Can't seem to find a way to fold this into a box :)

Attachments

• 2019-08-16 (4).png
    2019-08-16 (4).png
    123.9 KB · Views: 250
  • 2019-08-16 (1).png
    2019-08-16 (1).png
    23.4 KB · Views: 256
  • 2019-08-16 (2).png
    2019-08-16 (2).png
    22.3 KB · Views: 249
Introducing BOXPLAN-BP6P. This workbook can be used to model a parallel-tuned 6th order BP box. Parallel-tuning does offer an interesting advantage over series-tuned that I've come across in the sims - it's possible to reduce quite a bit of the out of band noise (which "colours" the output of the system and reduces it's ability to reduce distortion) by careful selection of vent sizes, lengths, volume sizes and lengths, and driver placement. So far I haven't been able to come across that "unicorn", which would be a design that has significant reduction of the out of band noise, with dimensions that can actually be fit into a box, but I've come pretty close.

Image 1:
input screen for BOXPLAN-BP6P

Image 2:
Corresponding sim'd output, parameters adjusted to reduce out of band noise.

Image 3:
"Unicorn" sim. Can't seem to find a way to fold this into a box :)

Just out of curiousity, can you share unicorn's sim's txt ? :D

Impressive. Position of speaker is really well tuned to make reflexion to compensate each others.
It remind me some akabak sims that i didn't understood why there were simulated different part of a same volume.

I'll have to play with akakabak to go as far as you with dual back chamber tweaking.
Thanks for sharing your experience :)

Maybe it should be interesting splitting back chamber (on low range output) in two to filter better it noise. Here a comparison of low range port output for your sim, and a fast done sim in BPC to show how much it can improve port output noise filtering. Total volume, vent velocity, impedance, bandwith are not really far... but i didn't go farther to this example, it need lot more tweaking...

Attachments

• unicorn_bpc.txt
    1,023 bytes · Views: 49
  • unicorn bpc.PNG
    unicorn bpc.PNG
    46.3 KB · Views: 203
  • unicorn 6th.PNG
    unicorn 6th.PNG
    45.6 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Hi Brian,
I am modelling a BP6 using your new workbook.

I entered my driver parameters for an SWR-1241D and exported to Hornresp.

Problem is I get this....

attachment.php

I double checked all the Boxplan parameters imported into HornResp and these all look ok.

I didn't change the default box dimensions at all.

I did set driver semi inductance Le to 0 as I saw that this switched off semi Le in the HornResp output file.

Any help appreciated. Boxplan xls attached for reference.

Thanks!

Attachments

• HornResp.jpg
    HornResp.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 336
  • boxplan-6bps SWR-1241D.zip
    79.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited: