Speaker wire ......... Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
planet10 said:
digital on CD has far more problems than analog on vinyl. Far too much information is tossed away to squeeze analog intp 44/16

even if digital audio recording/storage/reproduction has more problems than the analog counterpart, there are certain advantages it has over analog or it wouldn't be where it is today. certainly a main advantage is the fact that the medium doesn't degrade every time you play a recording. a really good book for information on this stuff is Principles of Digital Audio by Ken Pohlmann.

the 44.1khz sampling rate allows for frequenices higher than most of can hear to be encoded (i'm only good up to around 17khz) and 16 bits allows for an awful lot of resolution. sure some info. is lost but there's still plenty there to convey enough musical emotion for most of us :) (or maybe just me). if you have better ears maybe dvd audio will be the cure your cd audio woes?

as for wire, 14ga ofhc copper is good enough for my ears.

BWRX said:

even if digital audio recording/storage/reproduction has more problems than the analog counterpart, there are certain advantages it has over analog or it wouldn't be where it is today. certainly a main advantage is the fact that the medium doesn't degrade every time you play a recording. a really good book for information on this stuff is Principles of Digital Audio by Ken Pohlmann.

the 44.1khz sampling rate allows for frequenices higher than most of can hear to be encoded (i'm only good up to around 17khz) and 16 bits allows for an awful lot of resolution. sure some info. is lost but there's still plenty there to convey enough musical emotion for most of us :) (or maybe just me). if you have better ears maybe dvd audio will be the cure your cd audio woes?

as for wire, 14ga ofhc copper is good enough for my ears.

that's what I've come across as well

also the difference is rarely audible

"In a CD (and any other digital recording technology), the goal is to create a recording with very high fidelity (very high similarity between the original signal and the reproduced signal) and perfect reproduction (the recording sounds the same every single time you play it no matter how many times you play it).

To accomplish these two goals, digital recording converts the analog wave into a stream of numbers and records the numbers instead of the wave. The conversion is done by a device called an analog-to-digital converter (ADC). To play back the music, the stream of numbers is converted back to an analog wave by a digital-to-analog converter (DAC). The analog wave produced by the DAC is amplified and fed to the speakers to produce the sound.

The analog wave produced by the DAC will be the same every time, as long as the numbers are not corrupted. The analog wave produced by the DAC will also be very similar to the original analog wave if the analog-to-digital converter sampled at a high rate and produced accurate numbers"

also no music is recorded on vinyl anymore :(

DVD audio sure is the wave of the future... most new CDs come on DVDs from the big names :)

planet10 said:

speakers produce a much more varied presentation & may be the most colored component, but even dramatically different speakers (that are up to a certain level of quality) can let you listen to the music if they are fed enuff information.

dave

if I was an EE I would simply say to you

speakers are mechanical... amps and such are electrical

electricity is quite hard to screw up in the right hands

mechanical pistons are very hard to get correct even in the right hands

:)

re speakers

The amplifier and speaker constitute a system that has electronic, electrical and mechanical parts. Isolating any component at the expense of others is bound to lead to error since you must treat the whole thing as a system, the weakest link in which is definately, as always the transducers.

Audiophilenoob said:

also no music is recorded on vinyl anymore :(

do you buy your music on another planet. Music is recorded to either tape or hard-disk now. (I have one direct-to-disk from many years ago but those have always been few and far between)

The final mix is then transferred to CD or Vinyl, often both are available. Vinyl is not common (it's more common than cassette tape or hi-res formats) but i can get many NEW rock, rap, jazz and classical on records especially the non-major labels.

I like records (I also think CD is OK), have you ever heard one on a good system?

Sean

seanzozo said:

do you buy your music on another planet. Music is recorded to either tape or hard-disk now. (I have one direct-to-disk from many years ago but those have always been few and far between)

The final mix is then transferred to CD or Vinyl, often both are available. Vinyl is not common (it's more common than cassette tape or hi-res formats) but i can get many NEW rock, rap, jazz and classical on records especially the non-major labels.

I like records (I also think CD is OK), have you ever heard one on a good system?

Sean

my experience with records is very limited, but not to say no existant... I've only heard one setup playing records and it wasn't anywhere near good quality (probably crappy table etc)

none of the stores I have access too even have vinyl for any music I listen to...

DVD-audio/CDs is the major thing I buy if I buy anything

soongsc said:
I see argument among the religions.:D Is it fun? It's also like in a meeting with no conclusion, each goes home happy or mad depending upon what mood they decide to be in.:xeye:

I'm not here to argue that I'm right and others are wrong... in fact the exact opposite...

I'm not above saying that maybe speaker wire does make a difference... maybe amps make a bigger difference than I've had experience with.... all these things can possibly be true

I simply didn't want Carlos to spread misinformation without rebuttal...

audiblity is key.... and from my experience (sure it's limited compared to some here... but not to carlos) is that speakers and the room should be at the very top of the list to get correct early on...

all the rest is fluff to make them sound the best they possibly can :)

source is also important... but in this day and age it's not hard to get this into very nice tolerances for cheap

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
BWRX said:
the 44.1khz sampling rate allows for frequenices higher than most of can hear to be encoded (i'm only good up to around 17khz) and 16 bits allows for an awful lot of resolution.

You are thinking in too few dimensions -- music is not sine waves. Way back here i gave a clear example of why harmonics at higher frequencies than you can hear a single tone at affect the music.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=693684#post693684

And on top of that, the steep filters used to try to meet the "NOTHING above the Nyquist cause phase shift all the way down into the midrange. Realistically, your hearing would need to cut off somewhere between 2-5k for the 44.1 kHz sampling rate to be high enuff.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
BWRX said:
even if digital audio recording/storage/reproduction has more problems than the analog counterpart, there are certain advantages it has over analog or it wouldn't be where it is today.

Certainly they are more convient to store & use, but the big driver is corporate profits. The CD was pushed big-time to increase the profits....

There are also big advantages in the studio, but there are many recording artists who still insist on analog.

Even Sony has backed off the "perfect sound forever". SACD & DVD-A gave the promise of better sound, but it looks now like they will die under the weight of upcoming DVD-HD or BlurRay.

dave

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
rnrss said:
and with that gentlemen you all have a wonderfull banterfest, because I am sticking to the business of a few other issues I need squared away elsewhere...

good luck Mike!

bye all

I hope you're back! You are one of the very few here who are straightforward, logical, honest (also about your own limitations) and resists the single-scentence mud-slinging that is often the last resort of those that run out of fancy fantasies. Don't let me down!

Jan Didden

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Audiophilenoob said:
source is also important... but in this day and age it's not hard to get this into very nice tolerances for cheap

Source is VERY important... seems to cost at least $1k to get a really reasonable CD player, a little less for a TT (but then you also need a phono stage). Of course a little DIY or buying used can help out here (but really good CD players haven't been around all that long so finding outstanding used ones is kinda hard).

A pretty good set of speakers can be DIYed for a whole lot less.

dave

well here you go.... I simply couldnt leave ya hanging Mike...

I lost my T-S design book in a fire in 96 so I tried doing a little search on Thiele/Small Analysis on the net to see if I could come up with anything as this book is both mine and the industries speaker building bible...

You know, when you buy a loud speaker and want to put it in an enclosure it is their methods of spec'ing out a driver/box etc that we all use called the:

Thiele/Small parameters,

Look on any manufacturers spec sheet!

Even Carlos heard of Vas!!!
:smash:

These parameters are used as the standard in the industry for enclosure/driver sizing and performance to get a given response curve etc...

These guys are the GODS of driver/box/associated circuitry in speaker analysis people...

So here it is: Thiele/Small Analysis of damping!

Here is the link:
http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/Sysdes/Thiel_small_analysis.htm

Effect of speaker cable resistance and amplifier damping factor
The results presented in this section include the effect of .04 Ohms amplifier output resistance, corresponding to an amplifier damping factor of 200, 10 feet of 16 AWG zip cord speaker cable with .04 Ohms per side, and .32 Ohms crossover resistance. (see the equivalent circuit schematic [6.5kb]). For the bi-amped configuration the crossover resistance is absent, and the circuit is more sensitive to cable and amplifier resistance. For this case, the effect of increasing the amplifier damping factor to infinity, and increasing the cable size to infinity is simply to produce an imperceptible 0.2-dB increase in SPL level. Did the infinite damping factor give the amp "greater control" over the transient response? No, the difference is imperceptible.

So the effect of increasing the damping factor beyond 200 is insignificant. And the effect of cables is insignificant, unless the cables are a lot longer, and/or a lot smaller.

I know many audiophiles will not believe this result. I would only say that there are many things that engineers do not understand well, but circuit analysis is not one of them.

The complete Thiele/Small damping circuit model is in the pic below for those of you who are ee's and not on some planet with the belief damping is all a sham...:smash:

If you dont believe Thiele/Small you should just go to the store and buy a set of speakers like carlos did ...

Here you go mike and anyone else interested... right from the leading authority on speaker analysis whos work is used as a standard in the industry... Hope you find this encouraging Mike!

My advice folks is to fly with the driver gods, (Thiele/Small ), and dont be fooled by the fanciful dreamers...:smash:

We all know who on this site has been preaching this since his first post on the subject and caught all kinds of flaq from the dreamers for doing so! But I wont mention who that was!

I rest my case!

Attachments

• damping by theilesmall.jpg
    damping by theilesmall.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 106
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The full name is Thiele/Small small signal parameters. The analysis breaks down at large signal levels -- most people forget this. Fortunately, in most home situations we are at small signal levels.

T/S parameters make modeling boxes -- particularily BR boxes much easier. All the math was around before, but in 1963 Neville Thiele had the clever idea to reformulate them into the easier to access parameters that Richard Small extended & popularized (AES paper in 1971).

The actual figures for damping, wire etc in the Ludwig page referenced were choosen by Ludwig for the purposes of his examples. The model has a place for source R and increased source R can be used to good advantage with many speakers -- a practical example ae the plentiful designs posted by GM. He is always careful to include source R into the mix -- even to the point of adding series R for high damping amps to improve the speakers alignment when necessary (smaller R, if any, required for low damping amps (ie SE tube amps)) or to caution against high source R if the design calls for high damping.

dave

janneman said:

I hope you're back! You are one of the very few here who are straightforward, logical, honest (also about your own limitations) and resists the single-scentence mud-slinging that is often the last resort of those that run out of fancy fantasies. Don't let me down!
Jan Didden
Yeh I couldnt sleep and I couldnt let let Mike hanging like that discouraged...

BWRX said:

Or simply go pro... If I remember right we are up to 192khz at 550kbps sampling... 10:1 ratio should produce good square waves to satisify the most picky out to 20k...

BWRX said:

i am an EE and i will tell you that speakers are electromechanical ;)
I am also an ee and I will agree with you...

Variac said:
The new Crown Reference 1 and 2 have a damping factor over 20,000
according to the write up.... It looks like DF is Crown's "thing"
well as you can see in my last post it is theile/smalls "thing" too...

Audiophilenoob said:

I simply didn't want Carlos to spread misinformation without rebuttal...
Yeh to bad everyone does not feel the same way! Kudos!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: re t-s

rcw said:
The T-S parameters are called the Benson Thiele Small parameters by academic researchers such as Robert Bullock.

Benson's book is quite "heavy" and the speaker model is based on "real" physical parameters. Thiele did the transposition into the much easier to access parameters we know today. Small resurrected Thieles (mostly forgotten) work and brought it to the attention of the world.

dave

Status
Not open for further replies.