Speaker wire ......... Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
rnrss said:

Wrong...

I did my math correctly it is 15 feet taking both directions into account :)

The beauty is 7 or 8 feet of number 14 would give you 200+ df with a 20,000 df amp... perfect...

But I would still stick to my 00

Damping factors, depending one which part of the amp-to-speaker model, consists of many other things than just series resistance.

rnrss said:

Yep I had 4 years of practice in the air force riding around on the flightline nipping at each others heels for 8+ hours per day LOL

Excellent shrimp in south texas..

You get better transients on the other side of the cockpit. But I hate to be in that position when you connect the wires that produce less damping.
:D

It's Crawfish.

Hi all,

rnrss said:

I use a bass horn all the way down because they 108db@1w@1m and they are very articulate...

I totally agree that multiway horn-systems are the way to go for realistic
music reproduction. For me it's the only way.

Actually by definition you get higher damping with higher voice coil resistance...

Well I prefer to go the other way: current drive, with horns, drivers and amplifiers designed to work together.

So even if our goals are probably more or less the same,
our methods are different. We don't speak the same language.

So to not increase the confusion I am going to stop here.
Have fun everyone!

cheers ;)

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: If we have to go this low...

carlosfm said:

Read other reviews and they say otherwise.
Audio mags are bathroom reading, I read them just to entertain.
I have read some reviews that highly raved a product and when I listened to it they were total junk.

Like Audio Analogue amps and CDPs.

Come on Carlos, be reasonable. Do you really want us to believe that audio reviewers cannot be trusted but you have the absolute TRVTH(TM)? Are you NEVER wrong in your assessments?

Jan Didden

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: If we have to go this low...

janneman said:
Come on Carlos, be reasonable. Do you really want us to believe that audio reviewers cannot be trusted but you have the absolute TRVTH(TM)? Are you NEVER wrong in your assessments?

Jan Didden

Jan , I have my speakers for some 8 years, I bought them used.
I have tested them with lots of amps.
The slight 'nasal' quality in the voices and some artifacts they detected on that review I have heard too, when the amp(s) couldn't drive them properly.
They are not easy to drive.
That's why I said what I said.
I didn't develop it further because the ambient was too poluted around here.

Not interested to talk about my speakers anymore, this thread is not about that.

SY said:
Worse yet, damping factor is generally defined assuming 8 ohm load. When you see it in an amp spec, it will assuredly be calculated that way to conform to FTC regulations.

8 ohm resistive load, not a speaker.
Most speakers have big impedance dips in the bass and demand lots of CURRENT from the amp, and a stiff PSU.
There is more than damping factor...:rolleyes:

Spoke with a genius at lunch

Vinyl sounds better then a regular CD and is readily available here in Toronto for almost all up to date music.

Professor Brady Thurston today told me that all this talk of wires and such is probably poppy **** considering electricity has certain rules it likes to follow. And until someone changes the laws of physics OFC copper in spec millimeter sizes will be the same as some other manufacturers spec Millimeter size. Twists affect properties but you need equipment to measure it. No person since Superman died can detect those frequencies apparently.Also a wire length difference of a foot or so would hard enough to measure in a lab never mind hear anything since electricity travels at near light velocity. Strangely he laughed when i brought up uf and mH. What are you doing reading Ultra Hi Fi or something ? he asked.

Over Bagels and salmon i got an introduction to amplifiers and their related theories. I know what a FET amp is now and SET and Tri . the Bipolar i didnt quite get. Basically he says that it wont matter all that much what i get as long as it has the power to perform for my application. Apparently being the pauper that i am ensures that i will get a mid level amp that will not be better then good and of course will have its own 'sound'. Apparently a 'proper' amplifier has none of those qualities of sound reproduction and perfectly amplifies the source, period. He has never seen one yet. Only in theory. Admittedly he is not an audiophile. And he is now in his late 60's and mean as a cornered cat generally BUT he is a Proffessor Physics so i think i can cut him some slack. Also a standing member of the EESOC. How do i know him ? ( i used to date his daughter )

I think ill go with the known opinion of someone who has none. He didnt even know who Nelson Pass was :(

No worries Nelson, not that you probably care but i told him you were a GOD in some audio circles. Laughter.

Knew who Linkwitz was though right away. Read somepapers back in the 70 and 80's.

His system ? One of those giant cabinets with a radio and a turntable in it and apparently it still works.
:bigeyes:

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Re: Spoke with a genius at lunch

Madmike2 said:
Vinyl sounds better then a regular CD and is readily available here in Toronto for almost all up to date music.

Professor Brady Thurston today told me that all this talk of wires and such is probably poppy **** considering electricity has certain rules it likes to follow. And until someone changes the laws of physics OFC copper in spec millimeter sizes will be the same as some other manufacturers spec Millimeter size. Twists affect properties but you need equipment to measure it. No person since Superman died can detect those frequencies apparently.Also a wire length difference of a foot or so would hard enough to measure in a lab never mind hear anything since electricity travels at near light velocity. Strangely he laughed when i brought up uf and mH. What are you doing reading Ultra Hi Fi or something ? he asked.

Over Bagels and salmon i got an introduction to amplifiers and their related theories. I know what a FET amp is now and SET and Tri . the Bipolar i didnt quite get. Basically he says that it wont matter all that much what i get as long as it has the power to perform for my application. Apparently being the pauper that i am ensures that i will get a mid level amp that will not be better then good and of course will have its own 'sound'. Apparently a 'proper' amplifier has none of those qualities of sound reproduction and perfectly amplifies the source, period. He has never seen one yet. Only in theory. Admittedly he is not an audiophile. And he is now in his late 60's and mean as a cornered cat generally BUT he is a Proffessor Physics so i think i can cut him some slack. Also a standing member of the EESOC. How do i know him ? ( i used to date his daughter )

I think ill go with the known opinion of someone who has none. He didnt even know who Nelson Pass was :(

No worries Nelson, not that you probably care but i told him you were a GOD in some audio circles. Laughter.

Knew who Linkwitz was though right away. Read somepapers back in the 70 and 80's.

His system ? One of those giant cabinets with a radio and a turntable in it and apparently it still works.
:bigeyes:

Well said Mike, I also strongly agree with Mr Thurston.

My first contribution to this thread stated that I have bought expensive and well respected cables and found absolutely no difference in sound compared to my baseline competant silver in teflon for about £3 per metre compared to £30+

You'll get those who say your system isn't transparent enough to reveal the details but that's a load of rubbish too since the SS ring, ATC mid and Seass drivers are considered hi-end by most folks standards.

I also tend to agree that a hard disk/bit perfect transport and digital all the way up to the power amp is the way to go IF you primarily listen to digital. Its clealy not if you use analogue or a strong mix of the two.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: If we have to go this low...

carlosfm said:

Jan , I have my speakers for some 8 years, I bought them used.
I have tested them with lots of amps.
The slight 'nasal' quality in the voices and some artifacts they detected on that review I have heard too, when the amp(s) couldn't drive them properly.
They are not easy to drive.
That's why I said what I said.
I didn't develop it further because the ambient was too poluted around here.

Not interested to talk about my speakers anymore, this thread is not about that.

I wasn't talking about speakers either.

Jan Didden

Sorry for taking this off topic earlier on.

Although, when people didn't wanna see my point/didn't feel the same way, I decided to duck out.

It seems the last X amount of pages of this thread is just backwards/forwards re-iterating between certain people. Even if you have a point/truth/proof/notion/whatever, if someone doesn't want to know, then they don't want to know....

Why waste time stating what has already been said ad infinitum?

Status
Not open for further replies.