Speaker Turn On Delay and DC Protector Board Set (V3)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You have to check the basics first. If it works on a PSU but not in the amp then see what is different. There is only the supply and the trigger inputs.

1/ Confirm the rail voltage across C6 is correct and is not to low.

2/ Try adding a link across R11 as a check against anything from the amp output causing an issue.

3/ Check C6 is the correct value (220uF) and not lower than this.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
OK :)

Don't lose sight of the fact that if it works on a bench PSU then it should also work when powered from the amp as long as the same conditions are met.

If there is to much ripple on the rail (C6) then the LED will keep flashing. Same applies if the supply voltage is to low.

I built a PCB speaker protection, I already have a transformer with two 18V secondaries. 7.5 VA for each rail, I can't connect the outputs in parallel to have only one 18V and 15VA secondary. So I intend to use only one 18V secondary. and 7.5VA. Is it enough to operate the card? :confused:

Attachments

• M15-05.jpg
    M15-05.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 208
I built a PCB speaker protection, I already have a transformer with two 18V secondaries. 7.5 VA for each rail, I can't connect the outputs in parallel to have only one 18V and 15VA secondary. So I intend to use only one 18V secondary. and 7.5VA. Is it enough to operate the card? :confused:

7.5VA is about 400mA, so current wise there is no issue.
for voltage , 18VAC is enough to operate 5V relays as they are in series.

No-load voltages will be higher. It's in the nature of transformers to saturate their core (if cored that is) and have a higher voltage apparent. If it's a toroidal, you can always add your own winding for small voltages. :eek:.

You might also be able to get away with a slightly smaller voltage if you have any other windings at a lower voltage. That I do not know, as I didn't read every post.

18V AC rectified will also work for two relays in series, as the voltage after rectification would be above 24v, and then drop a little because of the voltage drop across the diodes.

(May I mention that that's a very overkill transformer for a protection circuit? That's a nice transformer for a little headphone amp...)

Last edited:
quote " 18V AC rectified will also work for two relays in series, as the voltage after rectification would be above 24v, and then drop a little because of the voltage drop across the diodes."

The pcb has half wave rectifier, so DC volts will be only 16-17VDC with 18VAC input.
The must operate voltage for two of 12 VDC relays is 18V (75% x 12 x 2)

So its a bit risky to operate 2 numbers of series connected 12VDC relays with 18VAC input. The relay coils may not operate reliably.