Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi TNT,
Thank you, and you are absolutely correct. But teaching any further along this route is something I don't have time for. Plus, there needs to be a willingness on the part of the reader to accept the information.

Given that people are spending their dollars, I would think they would want to know as much as they can about the basics before parting with their money. An informed buyer is most likely to be happy with their purchase over the long term.

This is merely something I am trying to give our members as me and many others are experts in this subject. Mush like I need financial advice and countless other things I am not an expert in. I hope they take our efforts to help to heart.

It is frustrating to see people make the wrong decisions after trying to help them make the right ones. I have nothing to lose or gain here. Just a desire to help others as I'm sure many members try to assist others in their fields of expertise.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Mark,
I know John absolutely believes in this.

I also know that there is no valid science behind the products and have tested some. I have actually had these in hand in my lab.

I know also that with John's knowledge, on some level he knows this is all bunk. I believe him when he says he isn't paid in dollars. We have had at times an adversarial relationship, and it has been over this subject, and also his attitude of other people. I do have a great deal of respect for the man. I also have a huge problem with his actions.

I'm being completely honest here. Hopefully you can understand where I am coming from.

Hi Jakob2,
In order to compare two things, you must hold the other factors as equal as possible or the comparison is a waste of time. It loses all value, yet there are many who don't understand this.

There must be a misunderstanding, as "diverging in several dimensions" is not a contradiction to scientific approach, i.e. of course we can still hold other factors equal while testing a certain kind of equipment (which itself is/can be diverging in several dimensions).

The reason why we have to test that way is simple - humans aren't LTI-systems and react differently (sometimes to a surprising degree) if confronted with combined effects.

While I totally agree, that "snakeoil" exists, I still think that wrong arguments and bad experimental procedures can't cure it.

What is needed is consistent/stringent argumentation and good experimental practice; it doesn't help, to make people think that using any "blind test tool" automatically brings up good - means correct - results.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Mark,
Yes, I listened as part of being fair about it. I didn't hear a difference, nor was there any real measurable changes in either high or low level signals. The only thing that I measured were changes expected with the low level resistance.

I have some better test equipment now, and much better bench speakers and would be willing to have another look. I am keeping an open mind, but reporting honestly on what I see/hear - or don't.

At the moment, my speakers on the bench are Klipsch THX 6000. Not a cheap pair of speakers at all, and very efficient. I could also try them in my main system which uses a pair of PSB Stratus Gold, a four ohm load that isn't that efficient. I could have some listeners over to assess them.

I also have an RTX 6001 audio analyzer now. I can also use my HP 4195A network analyzer, which is good to 500 MHz. There is also a 35665A audio analyzer that I did use.

Mark, how have you tested these? What did you experience? I would like to replicate any test you found showed a difference that could possibly be audible. I am completely open to this.

-Chris

Hi Chris,

I have not tested or listened to a Bybee. John has, and Jam has.

Nelson Pass once remarked that, "Jam still has one of the best pairs of ears in the business," and John remarked that Jam is probably the only person he would trust to listen for him.

Having listened with Jam on his system and on mine, I concur with Nelson's and John's assessment.

Jam tells me that he has listened to systems with Bybee devices in them. He said that if the system is good enough, Bybees usually make it sound worse; if the system isn't that good sometimes they make it sound better. I accept that as true until proven otherwise.

John also told me about an experience years ago when he and Jack Bybee went to a hi-fi store with a Bybee device wired in series with an AC cord. Jack unplugged one of the hi-fi systems and put the Bybee in series with its AC input. John said the stereo sound field of the system totally collapsed. Jack removed the device and they quietly left the store. I got the impression from John that he thought Jack was expecting the Bybee to make the system sound better.

Point is, it did do *something*

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.