Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Mark,
Okay, I would like to have you look at these first hand in that case. Let me know what comes of it. Given your connections, this should be possible.

I will offer to assess them again, but I will not buy a pair. I will test and return the devices in undamaged, original condition. I will also sign an NDA unless it bars me from making an honest report, but I will not disclose any technical details or confidential information if given to me. This certainly wouldn't be the first NDA I have had to sign, and I am extremely serious about keeping my word and being truthful.

Interestingly, I do now have a Keysight 6812C AC power supply (about $13K as optioned) which can deliver a pure sine, or with it's built in arb, a noisy waveform. I also have a Keysight MSOX3104T fully optioned, a 34465A DVM and 34461A, plus an N9310A RF generator if its helpful. This is all current equipment, and you can see I have a very well equipped lab.

With the equipment I have, if there is something to be seen or heard, it should be apparent. So I am not wasting anyone's time, however it may well be a waste of my time. I am still willing to have a look. I've also been said to have an extremely good pair of ears.

John has decided I'm not worth talking to, and that's okay. But, I think you can see the capabilities are here. I am also attempting to be as honest and fair about this as I can. I am always open to talking with John, I don't dislike or like him.

-Chris

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Nelson Pass once remarked that, "Jam still has one of the best pairs of ears in the business," and John remarked that Jam is probably the only person he would trust to listen for him.

Having listened with Jam on his system and on mine, I concur with Nelson's and John's assessment.

This is the same Jam who says vinyl sounds better than digital?

Have to ask because I know people who have listened and they insist there is an audible effect, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.
So what? The sun came up this morning and that means something, I insist.

And Mark, I respectfully request you to refrain promoting the scam.
Are you requesting him to quit his job? :eek:

Mark, how have you tested these?
That's a forbidden zone. He can't disclose that info due to the risk of business being hurt.

Bill,
Jam played me a direct to disk-lathe record on his system. To me it sounded closer to 'real' than any other recording I have heard of any type. That said, there was also some audible vinyl sound. The best digital sound I have heard sounds very detailed, and it sounds like there could be nothing better. IME there is still some issue that makes it not as 'real' in some ways as that record. In other ways, digital is obviously much better. Now I understand Jam's point. He likes that 'realness' more than the micro-detail and ultra-low distortion of digital.

One thing that seems to be missing from the best digital I have heard is the same level of room sound that can be heard on a good record. DSD seems to help with reproduction of room sound. The other thing I noticed is that on a really good phono system its possible clearly hear if a recording has been on tape. The sound of tape is still there in some way. On the best digital I have heard, I don't hear the tape sound. Still wondering where those things are going.

Watched a David Griesinger video lecture this morning: Learning to Listen - An Audio Engineering Society Heyser lecture - YouTube ...He talked about a number of things including direct to reverberant ratios (sometimes differing by frequency) and how they are perceived. One of the issues he touched upon was the perception of phase in music even above 1.5kHz. Besides signal correlated noise, I am doing some thinking about phase and the Chord dac time alignment filter which I presume is trying to correct for phase shift of the half-band filter commonly found in ADCs. Maybe there is something to it. Don't know.

Last edited:
Your belief in a scam does not make it physical truth...
That only shows you pay no attention to physics.

Let me quote from his site :
... this XXX is activated by surrounding electromagnetic energy, but has also been designed and engineered to be more effective by creating an extended electric and magnetic field. Once activated, the extended electric and magnetic fields affects the polarity of all electrons and protons in close proximity;...
Ask anyone who is anybody in physics, there is no such thing as polarity of an electron or a proton. EM waves have polarity, fermions do not. If the polarity was meant as the sign electrical charge then the statement became more bizarre, enough for a physicist to spray coffee from his nose. Even
JC himself admits the explanation to the devices is "Borg Transwarp fiction" in quality.

A scam is not about efficacy of a device but about the intent of the activity.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Mark,
I did work in active, large recording studios and heard the live sound, the mix, the master and what came off CDs and albums. What you get is nothing like the goosebumps a live recording can bring. But I still really enjoy well recorded CDs, vinyl and FLAC tracks. I also did theater in the booth as a lighting and sound operator. Again, the live gig is completely different that what can be captured.

Still, you appreciate the recording on whatever media even through its flaws. All media is different, but can be very acceptable. But, nothing will compare to the actual event that was recorded. At least you don't have to hear mix after mix as they punch in trying to get that guitar rif just right, or the vocal (that can be painful to listen to the third time or more). All that music does run through 5542 chips - if you're lucky!

Here we go again!

:D

Attachments

• Foodfight.jpg
    Foodfight.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 132
Bill,
Jam played me a direct to disk-lathe record on his system. To me it sounded closer to 'real' than any other recording I have heard of any type. That said, there was also some audible vinyl sound. The best digital sound I have heard sounds very detailed, and it sounds like there could be nothing better. IME there is still some issue that makes it not as 'real' in some ways as that record. In other ways, digital is obviously much better. Now I understand Jam's point. He likes that 'realness' more than the micro-detail and ultra-low distortion of digital.

One thing that seems to be missing from the best digital I have heard is the same level of room sound that can be heard on a good record. DSD seems to help with reproduction of room sound. The other thing I noticed is that on a really good phono system its possible clearly hear if a recording has been on tape. The sound of tape is still there in some way. On the best digital I have heard, I don't hear the tape sound. Still wondering where those things are going.

Watched a David Griesinger video lecture this morning: Learning to Listen - An Audio Engineering Society Heyser lecture - YouTube ...He talked about a number of things including direct to reverberant ratios (sometimes differing by frequency) and how they are perceived. One of the issues he touched upon was the perception of phase in music even above 1.5kHz. Besides signal correlated noise, I am doing some thinking about phase and the Chord dac time alignment filter which I presume is trying to correct for phase shift of the half-band filter commonly found in ADCs. Maybe there is something to it. Don't know.

Oh. My. God.

And this is the Lite version, higher version will be 6 layers PCB and time domains isolated by optic fiber cables.
To complicate a little the RF scenario the design involves MCU, FPGA and Windows programming.

Well, I appreciate over-engineering, but do you really need to isolate the micro if you put it to sleep without clock when it's not doing anything?

OK guys, I just can't just stay away and hope that you will stop criticizing me, as it is unproductive for both you and me.
For the record, Jack Bybee died last year. His stuff continues through his nephew making it, but I suspect the 'edge' Jack offered, due to his extensive physics background will no be attenuated and lost through inattention to small details in construction of his devices, and the potential advantage will be lost in future products, so we should put this controversy to bed, and worry about other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.