Sound of the bipolar transistors

I looked at the Nelson Pass circuits. They operate just above Vth, i.e. far from Miller Plateau. Now I'm trying with a simulation. It is a simple common source circuit. With the standard measurement at 1 kHz, the output voltage (Vd) looks relatively harmless even at full scale:

View attachment 1214048

At 10 kHz the situation changes drastically:

View attachment 1214049

The sinus becomes sawtooth-like. And there is a kink at Ud = Ugs, which indicates the so-called “pinch-off” effect. This is where the audible "pulverization" of the high tones can come from.
All of these waveforms show gross levels of distortion, 10--30% THD or so perhaps - if you can see distortion this obviously on a graph, its far far above the threshold of audibility for distortion, the ear is a far better frequency analyser than the eye.

That is correct. With the lossy measures such as source resistance, Ud_min > Ugs_max and differential pair as in the Pass F1 circuit, the distortion can be kept below 5% for 1kHz. However, the tendency to demulate the audio signal with increasing frequency will remain. And as you mean, it may not be seen but it will be heard.

But there are fast BJTs to.

The BJT amplifiers are more efficient. The saturation voltage is usually less than 2V. For positive and negative sides it is a total of 4V taken away from the AC output voltage. For linear operation of the MOSFETs, Vd must not be less than Vgs, and the latter is in the range of 4V to 7V. Doubled it is 8V to 14V, which should be taken away from the AC output voltage. Of course you can drive the MOSFETs to full power, but in this case you need a strong global negative feedback to keep THD small.

Reactions: 1 user
Even in NP circuit the difference between Vd = +8V and Vgs = +4V is 4V. And +/-4V is just 1 watt on 8 ohms.

NP-MOSFET-1W.PNG

I disagree.
It is true that average playback levels are lower than many people think, but today recordings have good dynamic range and you frequently find crest factors of 20dBs, so you may be listening at 1W but unclipped peaks will ask for 100W!
Power amps clip and then they are ruled by their open loop characteristics unless they do not used global feedback.
In my humble opinion, this is one of the main reasons of the "transistor sound".

The transistor sound was identified in the days of transformer coupled push-pull transistor amplifiers, that's a very different thing perhaps from what we are talking about here.

Headroom against clipping large transients isn't unique to transistors anyhow, and the answer is soft-clipping circuits or pre-processing, or even compression.

It is true that average playback levels are lower than many people think, but today recordings have good dynamic range and you frequently find crest factors of 20dBs, so you may be listening at 1W but unclipped peaks will ask for 100W!

I see a problem somewhere else. Due to the superimposition of the waves, a steep sum signal can occur. As a result, the conventional voltage amplifier cannot ensure the correct thrust for the speaker diaphragm by the current. This makes the sound duller. YouTube offers many videos where guitarists compare transistor and tube amplifiers. You can clearly hear the difference.

I'll try to show it with the simulations. Six sine signals with the same amplitude but with different frequencies (1kHz, 2kHz, 3kHz, 6kHz, 9kHz, 12kHz) are added and amplified. The simulation of the voltage amplifier together with the speaker model:

SinusMix-VO.PNG

You can see the deformation of the current signal through the speaker. In my opinion, this is just as bad as the big THD. But tube amplifiers are only partly voltage amplifiers. They partly power the speakers with electricity. I don't do a simulation with the tube amp, but with my current amp to show the effect of driving with the current:

SinusMix-CO.PNG

Reactions: 1 user
According to the datasheet, LT1010 can deliver +/- 150 mA continuous. Meanwhile, the maximum current of 52 mA flows through the speaker. In addition, the voltage at the loaded output of LT1010 is measured. I see a nicely curved voltage curve. There are no flat areas. In this case LT1010 does its job perfectly.

Actually, this situation is understandable if you remember the relationship between voltage and current of inductance.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/indtra.html
At first quickly, but then more and more slowly, the current approaches its nominal value. If the voltage has changed before the current reaches its nominal value, it is then too late to reach that value. A new goal is set... which again is not achieved because the voltage changes again in the meantime etc. This is where the half-finished current flow comes from. This applies to all voltage amplifiers, regardless of whether they are called HiFi or High End.