Sound of the bipolar transistors

Hello!

For me the FET transistors are not good enough, because their characteristics are non-linear. Definitely the tubes are much better. But the tubes are expensive, not mobile and require dangerously high operating voltages. In addition the output transformer ruins the sound.

I would like a robust amplifier with no tendency to oscillate. I often work in rooms that are heavily "contaminated" with electromagnetic fields. Therefore, the use of global negative feedback loop is out of the question.

After much deliberation I designed the following simple amplifier. And its sound surprised me...

Final_Stage_Amp.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
You have no choice but to buy 50 different ones and listen. Of the 50, as always, 5 will remain that are suitable for audio.
And also: the smaller the types, the higher the sonic potential. It is the diameter, body, material, mass stiffness and more that influence the sound (all sort of "noise") more than THD, TMD...-)

Hello!

For me the FET transistors are not good enough, because their characteristics are non-linear. Definitely the tubes are much better. But the tubes are expensive, not mobile and require dangerously high operating voltages. In addition the output transformer ruins the sound.
BJTs are much much less linear than anything else, they have an exponential characteristic!! However they have supremely high transconductance which can be traded for linearity with local feedback effectively.
I would like a robust amplifier with no tendency to oscillate. I often work in rooms that are heavily "contaminated" with electromagnetic fields. Therefore, the use of global negative feedback loop is out of the question.
EMI is nothing to do with loop-stability. To address EMI you need to screen and filter out the interference, put everything in a Faraday cage and think about feedthrough capacitors and ferrite toroids. GNFB is not ruled out in the slightest.

BTW FETs are much better at evading EMI than bipolar transistors and sound like they might the correct choice for this environment.

Reactions: 6 users
How do you keep the transistors at a constant temperature (so that you don't need to keep re-adjusting P1 and P2 as they warm up)?
With idle/quiescent temperature, power FET's actually have a 'negative temperature coefficient' regarding
bias current > thereby being effectively self regulating without the need for 'thermal sensing feedback'.
Also, if you compare the distortion characteristics of BIPOLAR vs FET amplifiers driven into overload-clipping,
the Bipolar = predominant odd-order harmonics (not musical), and the FET = predominant even-order harmonics
which are 'musical'.
It is my personal opinion that people use higher power amplifiers offering the user superior headroom and
the use of multiple output devices, thereby achieving much lower output impedance & higher current capacity.