Sony to Philips I2S Format Conversion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I cut and paste the timing of I2S and EIAJ ( aka Sony format ) from the data sheet and here it is:

Attachments

• eiaj-i2s.jpg
    eiaj-i2s.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,995
So if you look into the difference between the different format, the only difference is the timing of the data signal during the LRclock cycle. For 16 bit, if you delay the LRCLK signal of a Sony ( aka EIAJ ) signal by 7 BCK cycles, and invert it as well, you will fool the DAC into thinking it is a I2S signal. This can be done easily with a simple shift register.

To convert from I2S to Sony ( aka EIAJ ), the delay the Data of the I2S by 7 BCK cycles, and invert the LRCLK. This will foll the DAC to think that the signal is EIAJ rather than I2S.

My implementation of the shift register for a EIAJ to I2S is as attached:

Attachments

• eiaj2i2s.jpg
    eiaj2i2s.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 2,223
Why don't you use a scoket and try various types. Some people can tell the diference between different types but I cannot. To me logic is logic. I used 74F04 and 74HC04 with no problem. Actaully, I think any high speed 74xx04 will work. Similarly for the 74374. The max freq is only 2.12MHz which is easily handled by any TTL circuit.

CM

TDA1541A: I2S and EAIJ?

I don't quite see why it's needed to convert the I2S signal into EIAJ because the TDA1541A can be operated in both modes, right? Ok, so the spec sheet doesn't really say that the "EIAJ" mode corresponds to the "MUX OB" mode. Can anyone tell me if the "MUX OB" mode is the Sony format? The thing is that I have a Sony cd-player which I'd like to modify.

Here are two different 300dpi PNGs containing single sided PCBs for cm's EIAJ to I2S converter. The first is bigger and requires tons of jumpers and the second is smaller, has bigger traces, but the jumpers need to be wires instead of resistor leads(longer). These are my two first PCBs, done using ExpressPCB and a slightly modified version of FreePDF to print PNGs instead(More programs can be used to remove the grid). I removed the ExpressPCB grid in the second version only.

Attachments

• eiajsinglev.zip
    10.1 KB · Views: 440
just as a shoot in, without opening a new thread on the subject:

The I2S is a databus that contains the clock and data?
I2S is a not a standard, its a "name" for differnt kinds of data busses?
just wondering really..
afraid to ask, afraid to learn you know..

thanks
Marius

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.