Sony TA-F6B PSU repair

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The principle is pretty straightforward: I haven't got the circuit in front of me but here goes...

take one self oscillating power stage that delivers a squarewave to the chopper transformer (we always called them chopper transformers as a generic name in any type of PSU) and regulate its secondary output indirectly by sensing the voltage on a secondary winding. This 'feedback' then controls the main supply voltage applied to said convertor through a series regulator as a means of regulating the PSU. The series regulator feeding the oscillating stage is also a bit unique in that it is a mix between a conventional series pass regulator and a switching stage.

The problem is that it is all far to dependent on the semiconductor device characteristics for reliable operation.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
scheme

Attachments

• sony_ta-n86b_service_Page_11.jpg
    sony_ta-n86b_service_Page_11.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 119
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
There is so much HF energy flying around that it might not be easy for a scope to trigger and latch on to display clearly.

The four power transistors in the output stage get their drive directly from the chopper transformer via small auxiliary windings. That part is all self oscillating... it runs at full tilt all the time. The only way that any control is exercised is by sensing what is going on via another winding and using that to control the series regulator supplying it.

Modern SMPS regulate by varying the duty cycle of the switching transistor. This doesn't, it runs flat out all the time with only the supply voltage as a means of controlling its output.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
There is so much HF energy flying around that it might not be easy for a scope to trigger and latch on to display clearly.

Modern SMPS regulate by varying the duty cycle of the switching transistor. This doesn't, it runs flat out all the time with only the supply voltage as a means of controlling its output.

Yes, that was a confusion not seeing any pulse width modulation there, having the voltage regulated by sort of classic regulator.

As for the oscillation, my gut feeling is that Q607 shall be an oscillator, discharging to RED 20T winding and driving bases of invertor transistors...

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Update:

1. OK, it works with MJE15032G (hFe>100 @100mA)
2. Output voltage (no load) is +/-80V
3. Safety bulb still in place (75W) giving 210V at PSU input with no load and just 140V with 50W load bulb at the output.
4. Will try tomorrow getting 100W bulb and try.
5. Possibly have to consider transformer secondary rewinding to get lower output.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Yes, on second thought I have denied this idea. Moreover the transformers in 110V and 220V are the same (given the same amount of winding turns - indicated right on the scheme). So basically for today I have two issues:

1. blowing parts if connected without "safety bulb"
2. output voltage is double to the normal.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I would always try and have a small load present on the output, perhaps a 40 watt bulb. Strange things might happen with no load.

The output voltage could also be wrong because it might be running at an incorrect frequency or running at some harmonic of where of should be (fussy on parts again).

Joined 2008
Paid Member
If someone still reading...

I did the scoping on secondary winding, got ideal square wave with 52us period (circa 19kHz) and about 170V amplitude. Seems it's pretty close to the numbers on the scheme = 180V amplitude and 42us period. But how they get +/-45 after rectification and caps from square wave 180V? Total misunderstanding... Attaching portion of scheme and the scope dump.

Attachments

• tan86 110 220 psu.jpg
    tan86 110 220 psu.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 133
  • TEK00000.jpg
    TEK00000.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 125
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
And that's what basic theory would suggest. I can't make sense of the numbers in the manual.

Does the voltage fall considerable under light loading ?

I also see this version has a switched secondary. Is it on the high or low setting at the moment.

I've no answers I'm afraid.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
No, no voltage falling with bulb load. Switching secondary is to feed Class A operation with very high quiescent current.

I have to grab operating 220v unit then, just to check all voltages myself... as well I will revert to other amp unmodified 110v psu just to check what's on secondary winding.

Thank you so much for your help.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Well, just checked 110v unit. Secondary winding amplitude is almost the same - about 180V, that's true with schematic. But look at the frequency - it's almost 33kHz giving just 30us period. Higher frequency - higher voltage drop after rectification?

Attachments

• TEK00001.jpeg
    TEK00001.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 116
  • TEK00002.jpeg
    TEK00002.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 119
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Does this 110v unit give the correct DC rail voltages ?

If there were a drop in the rectified output because of the frequency going up then the 'lost voltage' has to go somewhere. If it were across the diodes then they would fry at the currents involved.