Something to lighten the mood

Not a dude, Man squirrels are too lazy. It's the gals that go the whole way!
"Dude" seems to be turning into a unisex term, and that was the way I intended it, since it's not easy to tell a squirrel's gender at a distance, because those fluffy tails conceal their undercarriages pretty well, except from a few angles. :)

Apropos which, for some reason, many people in North America seem to have interpreted gender equality to mean that we should now use formerly male terms to refer to girls and women; but never the reverse.

For example, it's very common now to refer to a group of women as "you guys" in the USA or Canada, but never call a group of men "girls", unless you're looking to pick a fight.

Evidently it's an elevation of status to refer to a woman by a male term, but an insult to refer to a man by a female term...yeah, that sounds like gender equality all right. :rolleyes:

Dunno if this applied across the pond...I hope not!

-Gnobuddy

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Delilah the Basset Hound

My dog Delilah before she got smart about porcupines and during her daily howl.

Attachments

• delilah_howl.jpg
    delilah_howl.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 237
  • delilah_quills.jpg
    delilah_quills.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
The instinct to chase a moving object is imprinted on their DNA. 4000 plus years as a breed gives them somewhat of edge when it comes to running. Not the fastest mammal on the planet, but definitely in the top ten.

My wife and I were walking a very first Greyhound, a little brindle girl of about 65lb (30kg) in a local park. My wife had the lead at that moment, and a rabbit appeared about 50 yards (45m) away. My wife could barely keep her feet under her body. A Greyhound reaches their top speed in 5-7 strides. Even though we have lots of trees in our back yard, squirrels sometimes fall prey to our hounds.

Cal I work in the location sound industry, for video and film production. "drpro" is a contraction of my one man company name.
Wow, I didn't think they were that heavy. All muscle, though.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
"Dude" seems to be turning into a unisex term, and that was the way I intended it, since it's not easy to tell a squirrel's gender at a distance, because those fluffy tails conceal their undercarriages pretty well, except from a few angles. :)

Apropos which, for some reason, many people in North America seem to have interpreted gender equality to mean that we should now use formerly male terms to refer to girls and women; but never the reverse.

For example, it's very common now to refer to a group of women as "you guys" in the USA or Canada, but never call a group of men "girls", unless you're looking to pick a fight.

Evidently it's an elevation of status to refer to a woman by a male term, but an insult to refer to a man by a female term...yeah, that sounds like gender equality all right. :rolleyes:

Dunno if this applied across the pond...I hope not!

-Gnobuddy
Mott The Hoople put a bit of a twist in it:tilt:
Or I should say it meant something different back then across the pond

"Dude" seems to be turning into a unisex term,

Yes and yes to everything else in your post. About 40 years ago I was the first I know to have used the term Dudette. Not saying I invented it, I don't think that's the case at all, I was just first in my circle to coin the term and was so happy it caught on. Now you rarely hear it.

'Guys' has seemingly been a unisex term from long before my time.

Only when you are best buddies or are in a position of power or authority can you say 'how you ladies doing today?' to a group of males.

He would jerk his head toward the constantly changing point source.
Interesting! One of our cats will freeze and stare at the TV if I'm watching a nature documentary and there happen to be birds on screen. And in the video of the cat on the piano, the cat seems to snap into alertness each time the pianist runs his finger rapidly up the keyboard.

-Gnobuddy

Our local Tai Chi instructor, Debbie Pentland, has had to cancel our Beach sessions, but has posted a couple of videos to keep our spirits and fitness up:

Special Chi Gong exercise to loosen up, especially for oldies, and our oldest oldie is 101:

YouTube

And this quite amusing Christmas Tai Chi session on Portsmouth beach, complete with Santa Claus outfits:

YouTube

It's more strenuous than it looks. But not in a way that gets you out of breath.