Something to lighten the mood

Quantas: Designers do your best and use all your imagination to decorate the engine covers!!!:p

10 hours later:

Quantas: Not THAT much imagination!!!!! :eek:

Where I was working years ago, one of the designers “innocently” put a chapter:verse reference to a Bible passage in a bit of open space on an IC layout. The fallout from that resulted an a corporate wide ban on any custom symbols placed on any internal product or development mask. Too bad I couldn’t make a capacitor look like a “6” and put three of them in parallel.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
France is sending quite a lot of energy to UK by a 2000MW link.
The HVDC Cross-Channel Interconnection.
2006 data:
This supplies 5% of the electric power available in UK, that means the need of 3 millions homes.
Edit: This 5% is up to date, I see it is in "Imports" in the UK Energy Dashboard.

It's down to 1MW at the moment as the building terminating the link caught fire recently. National Grid site fire shuts down power cable between France and UK - BBC News

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Amazed me when I discovered Quaker used to own Mattel toys.

@Magnus Puritan hats were much bigger.

Attachments

• puritan.jpg
    puritan.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 83
It's down to 1MW at the moment as the building terminating the link caught fire recently. National Grid site fire shuts down power cable between France and UK - BBC News
That is bas news, I was not aware of.
I had a look.
There are two links 1GW + 1 GW.
One of the two links is down because of a fire on September 15, so bad it will not be up until March 2022.
The UK government had to face this with restarting gaz plants, this immediately jacked up the price of gaz 20%.
This is very bad news, and winter is coming.
This shows how tight we are on energy.
That's more serious, I thought. It shows how politics and lobbying games are futile around such a crucial and critical issue.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
It's a little confusing, I was born in Philadephia, raised a little to the north, with Quakers and Mennonites(Amish etc) abounding.
The 'Quaker Man' has always had 17th century Quaker clothing.

The early pictures and ad copy made it clear that they were trying to represent Wm.Penn, using what pictures they had(Penn never sat for a portrait, although one of the richest men in England, the Quakers had no prohibition, but discouraged personal glorification).

At some point a more generic looking fellow was drawn, and the portrait painted which has been used since.

From the early 19th century, American Quakers have worn no particular garb which sets them apart, unlike some of the Mennonites and Ammonites.

I've been to the Arch St. meetinghouse many times, it's where my late friend Ian was treasurer for a number of years.
I don't know who was telling the stories, but if he was even mildly amusing, the people there are too polite to call him on taking license with the facts to get a good story.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Just teasing, Galu.
As a matter of fact, it was my friend Ian who yelled "cross-dresser!"when my sister went up in a plaid skirt to receive my diploma for me.
To me, a kilt is a man's skirt, and a skirt is a woman's kilt.

Ah, the Scots........ready to flash unsuspecting passengers in the subway before there were subways!

Very interesting history behind a bowl of porridge it seems. :cool:

The root of all evil is 25.81

Allen's recent remark made me investigate why 1987 was such a strange year in Kensington, London W8.

The fruit machines in the Prince of Teck Pub started displaying strange messages:

941473d1618178812-universe-expanding-666-jpg

Trees fell down amongst us in what was claimed to be a Hurricane:

941474d1618178812-universe-expanding-system7-1987-jpg

We were even kept awake by a Neutrino burst from Supernova 1987A, though nobody believes me. Whatever was behind this?

It happens that some of us had noticed strange numbers on the pillars outside 66 Cornwall Gardens when viewed from a precise angle when coming home from the Albert Hal Proms. An effect I have tried to convey by modifying an old snap of mine. It's still there! :eek:

Attachments

• 98 Lexham Gardens W8 in 1987.jpg
    98 Lexham Gardens W8 in 1987.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 666 Cornwall Gardens Kensington W8.jpg
    666 Cornwall Gardens Kensington W8.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 148
Just teasing, Galu!
I know, but we are proud people. :D

After due diligence, the Lord Lyon King of Arms recognised my Uncle (on my mother's side) as a Clan Chief.

Lord Lyon King of Arms - Wikipedia

Consequently, he was granted the right to design his own Clan Coat of Arms and to design his own Clan Tartan.

As a wee boy, I wore a kilt made from that tartan, and it is still in my possession.

My Uncle died without progeny. I've often wondered if I should ask the Lord Lyon if I can inherit my uncle's title! :cool:

I have already started soaking my porridge overnight for tomorrow.

1 cup of Quaker, 1 and 3/4 cups of water. Add salt tomorrow. I am assured that soaking is the secret. Can't wait!

Interestingly, my porridge bowl matches the one on the Quaker Oats packet, which is a good omen for success:

990937d1634469796-food-thread-porridge-jpg

Do we know what the Tartan is here?

991643d1634723022-lighten-mood-1kg-oats-jpg