Something to lighten the mood

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I was working with a sister division in Dallas in 2015 the day after the Super Bowl with Dallas and Buffalo. That's the one where Leon Lett fumbled the football while showboating before he crossed the end zone line. Everyone was talking about that play during lunch in the cafeteria, and it suddenly dawned on me what happened: it was a case of premature jock elation.

I probably shouldn't have shared my discovery in mixed company.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Cal,

English is defined as is found in a good number of English dictionaries, (Oxford Reference English Dictionary) and is modified annually by words appropriated, slang and common speak of the British English speaking population.

So the origin is Britain. End of story.

Funny thing is that reseaerch suggests American English has evolved less than UK English since the time of the pilgrim fathers so could be viewed as more pure.

But I do like this quote from writer James Nicoll about English (and at least I find it funny, and it's better than my jokes)

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse *****. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.

The old farmer brought his Blue Tick hound to the new fangle vet and laid the dog on the table.

The Vet took one look at the dog and said "I'm sorry, but he is dead".

The old farmer asked "can't you do anything else?

The Vet walked out of the room and came back with a Labrador Retriever. The Lab sniffed the hound, looked at the Vet and walked out of the room.

The Vet walked out again and returned with a large Tabby Cat which he placed on the table next to the hound.

The cat walked around the hound twice, jumped down from the table, looked at the Vet and walked out.

The Vet looked at the old farmer and said, I'm sorry but there is nothing else to do.

A week later the old farmer returned to the Vet's office raising cane about his bill.

What in the world are you charging me $612 to tell me my dog is dead, the farmer asks.

The Vet replied "the $12 is my determination that the dog was dead. The additional $600 was $100 for the Lab work and $500 for the Cat scan."

Funny thing is that reseaerch suggests American English has evolved less than UK English since the time of the pilgrim fathers so could be viewed as more pure.

But I do like this quote from writer James Nicoll about English (and at least I find it funny, and it's better than my jokes)

Lol English is hardly pure, that I'd agree.

American english just represent where the two colonies evolved separately. I agree they are different languages, and with the evolution part; trouble is, back then, EVERYONE was virtually illiterate and the English counties could not be agree spelling and meaning of words.

I see it more as, with the advent of a English dictionary, these inconsistencies were ironed out (well only sort of as a lot of crap remained), and the US English evolution carried these quirks and unified them into a different tongue, often with altered meanings.

The same is true, I believe for the US inherited French and its use, as is true for the UK inherited French, and is incorrect to real french speakers, in meaning often, as well as usage.

As much seems to come from Latin, Greek, French and the Germanic I guess goes back to the Saxons...not to mention the Viking words/place names.

And Gormless, is one of my favourite words!:violin:

Now in my generation, we go full circle and have US English words appropriated into our own dictionary.

Even now, north and south cant agree what a bread roll is called.

Is it a roll?
A batch?
A cob?
A sub?
A bun?

I grew up with roll and batch, SWMBO will always use Cob.

Where I come from, a cob is a male swan, or a patterned poppy seed covered loaf of bread. But not a batch or roll for making a sandwich.

And what do you guys call the end of a loaf?

The Butt?

Seems the north south divide lives on here, as I have rarely heard it called other than the Crust in a few places

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> what a bread roll is called.

"Bun" covers most non-sliced bread.

"Cob" is indisputably the center of an ear of corn. For use in outhouse as bum-fodder.

Corn is ALWAYS maize, indian-corn (not from India). We don't use a good 4-letter word for whatever grass-seed the locals eat. Wheat or barley is wheat or barley.

"Sub" opens the torpedo-sandwich debate. Hoagie? sub? grinder? I used to live 7 miles from the hoagie/sub border.