Something to lighten the mood

Mondo, I have read your post and your reported posts and I think you misinterpret what is being said or done.

I like hats
sounds a lot like
I like cats

There's nothing more to it than that. The same as:

An ice cold drink
sounds the same as
A nice cold drink

I believe you are attempting to make something out of nothing and I can't begin to sort out why.

I also believe that before making a matter of fact statement like you did about the English language, it behooves you to address the facts and not make an assumption. Of course one would think English comes from England but it isn't the case.

Now, I am done. If you wish to say more please go ahead, I just may not respond as I too agree this should enlightening, not instructional.

Either way, I hope you have a great evening and let this go.

Cal,

English is defined as is found in a good number of English dictionaries, (Oxford Reference English Dictionary) and is modified annually by words appropriated, slang and common speak of the British English speaking population.

So the origin is Britain. End of story.

I'm sure the US and Canada has their own American English dictionary, which describes the differences in the two tongues.

And btw the tag "English person" was used in the reported post, so no I will not leave it.

Not unless someone here will tell me it is ok to make cultural jokes?

I wouldn't dream of making, for examples, lumberjack jokes, or anything else attributed to a particular culture, for fear of offending someone (by simply having bad racist, sense of humour)

I would expect the same from all members.

I dont think that constitutes taking something further than it was meant.

It was meant as a Cultural jibe, and I reacted to it as such

But no worries, I came here for a laugh, some ****** dad jokes, since my repertoire is poor, and did not expect to see a racist joke.

So I'll get my coat and step out, maybe find a thread with some real humour in it.

Peace.

Last edited:
Agreed. And of course, your opinion matters.

However this medium is not the best at conveying the important distinction.

coz trust me, halving half my family in Quebec, I have plenty of appropriate digs in the rib, though they are bad jokes, or in bad taste - I guess that would mean I'd fit right in then.... ��

Anecdotally, I was trying, it turns out, in vain to source some obsolete ICs last week. I found a genuine seller, and i was overjoyed. International delivery globally, from Canada.
Even better!

Then I checked in detail, prompted by a failed attempt to purchase - turns out the Quebetian seller, ships everywhere globally, except the UK!

I guess they were French Canadian!

I almost messaged to say how annoyed I was! Maybe if I had messaged en Francais?

Last edited:
Ah Québécois!

Glad for that link! I figure my rellies, being in Montreal, speak at least some joual. Many borrowed English words, just like English borrows many from French.

For someone with mediocre French and fairly good English, it's possible to figure out the gist of most conversation. A bit like Panglish.