Some speaker driver measurements...

Yevgeniy,

Your testing database is growing to be the biggest most thorough on the Internet. Thank you.

Where do you get your drivers for testing? Do you purchase them yourself?

Is there a way for Hificompass members to donate money or purchase drivers and have drop shipped to you for testing?

I’d like to see measurements on vintage drivers like XLS 850452, as well as modern Dayton RS225, W19NX, RSS390HF

Thank you for the compliment:)

Some speaker drivers I purchase myself, some comes from my friends, some from my customized loudspeaker projects and another ones from companies which sponsor speakers for reviewing.

The best way to help me is to purchase new interesting speakers and send them to me for testing. This way will benefit for all diyers!

I'm sorry, but don't have access to the woofers you are interesting in (850452, RS225, W19NX and RSS390HF)

These are all tradeoffs that we like to sit around and debate as keyboards warriors.

Yevgeniy,

How can we help you?

Have you considered putting a "Buy me a coffee" link on your website. So we can do a donation via Paypal. Otherwise please advise.
Unfortunately, PayPal doesn't work in Ukraine for receiving money, just for their sending:(
I don't know simple solutions for members which would like to support my efforts:)

HiFiCompass,

You are providing a very good service to those on this forum with Speakers Drivers measurements data.
Looks like you live in Ukraine, and there is rising political tension in your country with Russia, so please take care of your family and yourself. My hunch is the tension will diffuse in the near future.

Best wishes to you and yours, HFC...

Sucks that some of the nicer Vifa small-format tweeters are getting harder and harder to source. NE19VTA has been gone for years, NE19VTS is almost gone now, the old D26NC55 was discontinued like a decade ago... all great performers in a tiny package.

Even OT19NC00 is unavailable now but I suppose that is because of the pandemic, not a conscious decision to discontinue.

Last edited:
Just wanna use the opportunity to inform that Peerless has updated their 6.5" HDS woofer datasheet and some of the values changed. Too bad this driver and its 5.25" cousin is currently not present in HFC database.
Simulating the old and new 6.5" shows some losses at 20Hz for the new one, but we gained better values.

Cms went from 0.698mm/N to 0.464mm/N .. so a tiny improvement.
Le was 0.43mH and is now 0.467mH .. a tiny decrease but not much.
Qms was 3.12 and are now 2.45 ... so an improvement which ties into the Cms change.
Qes was 0.44 and are now 0.516 .. a slight change but nothing drastical.
Qts was 0.39 and are now 0.43 .. so a smidgen better.
Fs changed from 46.2Hz to 56... you might need a new cabinet and/or port.

While the changes aren't super dramatic, they are enough and if the suspension got a bit stiffer, we should see a tiny change in distortion measurements. I wanna test the new 6.5" against SB17NRX2 and Discovery 18W/8434G.
They cost roughly the same but one is not like the other... paper vs two glass fibre cones

You can view the changes in the attached PDF's

Attachments

• HDS-P830990.pdf
    353.6 KB · Views: 61
  • HDS-P830990.Rev1.MP1 - Product Sheet.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Yevgeniy,

Yes. Please do some due diligence and if you feel comfortable setting up a Wise account, I shall transfer you some funds in time for the holidays. Driver testing is great, currency is better. Hopefully others can support you. And feel good for doing so.
Happy Festivus for Yevgeniy and HifiCompass users!

Right, the Qts on the HDS-P830883 which you talk about is close to the ideal of 0.7 for open baffle/dipole loudspeakers. The Cms is also very tight at 0.240mm/N. Only issue I see from here is the 7dB peak at 4.5kHz as the "main issue", but should be possible to XO out. Le for this driver is also not too bad at 0.21mH.

I noticed it on the HDS 5.25" as well. I think I will test, measure and listen against ScanSpeak 15M/4624G. Looking at HFC's library of midrange-woofers, the 15M is an underdog.