Some speaker driver measurements...

The latest technology paper 4" from "Vifa" Tymphany would be an interesting one to compare it to..
Peerless by Tymphany NE123W - 4" Woofer

The FS says 156hz, but the graph says 68hz

This spec sheet has the Fs as 61, but the Xmax impossibly high, so yeah, their spec sheets were mangled :)

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/264-1128--tymphany-ne123w-08-spec-sheet.pdf

I got a pair to see if they'd be good as horn loaded wideband drivers (like a Lowther / Azura Horn combo, but half scale). On paper, they seemed good for it (flat, rising response), but in practice they were not; my guess is that the cones aren't stiff enough.

I don't recall what Fs I measured, but they do well as a normal (mini) speaker, so I doubt it was 156Hz :)

Speaker made with Ikea cutting board + box - Imgur

The 4ohm and 8ohm responses are pretty different through the upper mids/lower treble in Tymphany's' own graphs. A little lumpier on the 8ohm version

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/pdf/NE123W-08.pdf

Peerless by Tymphany NE123W - 4" Woofer

Tymphany spec sheets can be hit or miss. The 350Hz wobble didn't exist on the NE123W-04 I measured and sensitivity was higher than spec'd. From my quick measurements, the NE123W appeared similar to the Satori MR13 with equally low distortion and smoother response.

Wow, this thing is a mess. The notches at 9 kHz and 15 kHz could correspond to a 3/4 wavelength and 5/4 wavelength diaphragm-to-mouth resonance, which would tend to suppress output at those frequencies. A smoother roundover at the mouth would have helped that problem and possibly also cleaned up the waterfall ridges at 9 & 15 kHz.

The rest is unimpressive: even ignoring the problems above 8 kHz, at 96ish dB the Seas 27TDFC has lower distortion, smoother response, and a cleaner waterfall.

Yes the Audax is cheaper, but unless my construction time is worth almost nil it's a hard pass for me.

Wow, this thing is a mess. The notches at 9 kHz and 15 kHz could correspond to a 3/4 wavelength and 5/4 wavelength diaphragm-to-mouth resonance, which would tend to suppress output at those frequencies. A smoother roundover at the mouth would have helped that problem and possibly also cleaned up the waterfall ridges at 9 & 15 kHz.

The rest is unimpressive: even ignoring the problems above 8 kHz, at 96ish dB the Seas 27TDFC has lower distortion, smoother response, and a cleaner waterfall.

Yes the Audax is cheaper, but unless my construction time is worth almost nil it's a hard pass for me.
I mean, it's harder to design a worse horn tweeter than that even if you tried...

It's a nice driver but clearly not worth double the price of the old one.

So they've altered the geometry of the pole, changed where the copper goes, altered the cone coating, used a different profile for the surround and swapped to a titanium former. Basically nothing here costs anything appreciably different to the old version in terms of manufacturing. I like getting my monies worth. This is the opposite of that.

From the Seas review..

"It is extremely difficult to describe the sound of the speaker driver in words, since there is no single generally accepted terminology. In addition, everyone hears and describes their feelings in different ways. Much depends on the accumulated experience of listening and the number of "sound prints" of various speakers stored in the head. It is no less difficult to understand, feel and imagine a sound described by someone. This requires that describing and imagining people are in the same coordinate system and have a common reference point"

Bravo! Well said! Something everyone should read before asking "Well, how does it sound?" That question always drives me nuts.

Last edited:
It's a nice driver but clearly not worth double the price of the old one.

So they've altered the geometry of the pole, changed where the copper goes, altered the cone coating, used a different profile for the surround and swapped to a titanium former. Basically nothing here costs anything appreciably different to the old version in terms of manufacturing. I like getting my monies worth. This is the opposite of that.

Yes these drivers are for Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos -nothing at all justifies the pricing -in Australia

Oh I did not mean to start the discussion on drivers pricing.
Of course the price is veeery high, but we can say that generally for Purifi, Seas Excels, Scans Illuminator and Ellipticor, Satori Textreme etc. as well. There is nothing on them to justify the prices too.
I just wanted to express the fact with W18 that this new generation brings excellent measured performance and well ... price is what it is. Older W18 Nextel was already expensive too and measured performance was not up to the class.

The price is in line with the pricing of competitors offering similar levels of performance.

The performance (over all) is comparable to ScanSpeak Illuminator and Purifi. It is superior to Satori textreme. So I would say the current pricing for this Seas driver is appropriate given the competition.

Is a Honda worth twice the price of a Kia? Is a Mercedes worth twice the price of a Honda? Is an Aston Martin worth twice the price of a Mercedes? These are value judgments that depend on the size of wallet.

Some days ago I did receive the NE123W-08 speakers. I bought them myself so the review is not planned, the full measurements only. From my initial subjective impression I want to say this 4" fullrange has the best performance/price among all the 4" speakers I know. I hope the measurements will prove my first opinion.

Vifa NE123W

I did a 4 inch midrange "shootout" a few years ago, and for my mid-priced stocks, the Vifa NE123W had the smoothest FR and lowest distortion of 6 different models.
Of course my measurements are not up to your standards, but they proved useful for my purposes.

Attachments

• vifa-NE123W-distortion-95db-one-meter-Annotated.png
    vifa-NE123W-distortion-95db-one-meter-Annotated.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 381
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Yes one of the best midranges; irrespective of price.

Some years ago I built the Jim Holtz/Curt Campbell Statements II; which use a pair of those midranges; flanked by a pair of 8” woofers:

Statements II - A musical evolution! - Page 2

Beautiful natural mids…, and yes I’ve had SS, SEAS Excel, Purifi…
If you scroll down a bit you will see my in-room measurements in a 6x9 m room.

I sold this speaker because I moved overseas. Worst sell decision ever!

Out of desperation I asked if the seller would be willing to sell it back to me.
No thanks, he said. :-(