Some speaker driver measurements...

but i would imagine that reflection waves from inside the enclsure will go through, to the outside easier, with metal (or hard cones in general).

Nah - the energy in the box has to go somewhere. It leaks out however it can. Even a heavy woofer is leakier than a typical cabinet wall.

I did some tests where I put a sound source inside a speaker box.

Sound leaked through the woofers (far more than through the cabinet) no matter what I did, including loading plates + weight onto the speaker cones.

post 127:

Measuring sound output from speaker cabinet walls

Sound leaked through the woofers (far more than through the cabinet) no matter what I did, including loading plates + weight onto the speaker cones.]

Would the classic KEF B139 oval polystyrene foam filled "cone/piston" fair better for less sound transmission though the cone? And the surround also has a fair amount of area for transmission.

https://us.kef.com/pub/media/pdf/Datasheet_B139B_SP1044.pdf

KEF B139 SP1044 REPLACEMENT. FALCON B139 8 ohm. MADE IN UK.

KEF B139 SP1044 fs 43Hz?

We are getting off topic of the thread, but it is and interesting subject.

Last edited:
Looks very similar to the (hopefully) forthcoming Mundorf AMT U series, specifically the U60 against which it will need to compete:

Air Motion Transformer U.Series | Mundorf EB GmbH

A $100 original 2560 would, in fact, be amazing but is perhaps too much to ask. I'd be happy with just getting the original 2560 back for its current price. I wonder if it would be possible to restore some of the original performance by putting it in a waveguide. What I'd really like to see is a front and back waveguide for using the 2560 dipole.

I want to know why SB intentionally put a poor chamber on that MD60 midrange. A small straight tube with inadequate damping, you can see the rear wave reflection at 700Hz in both the frequency response and represented in the impedance as well. A sudden cliff in the response by 5dB is usually not wanted by anyone, yet it's advertised as a feature "Tuned closed-end transmission line chamber".

md60n-freq.jpg