some samples box very good for full-range speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank xrk971.
I don't use any software for my design. I think, if I can use software for design, there are a lot of people can use and I will not need share.
All my designs just build based on estimates from experience. Actually, all form I share for you, I've constructed samples for testing, as you can see in the video clips and pictures that I post.
Many of my friends have to listen and appreciate the sound quality. Some people are using form Fostex 206 or Coral BL8, but after coming to listen with me, they decided to follow my design instead.

Vvxuan,
Thanks for sharing your design and measurements. Good to see others providing measurements as well as sound clips - something I have always done to give others an idea of the performance and the sound. It looks like Diy is very much alive in VN. Those are very nice antique drivers and BLH boxes. For your measurements, can you also provide the harmonic distortion plots for 2nd through 5th? Also, impulse response curves are very useful. On the plots try to expand the range so that we can see more resolution in the vertical axis. Perhaps show 40dB to 100dB as vertical axis. On the data in general can you show with 1/12oct smoothing? I did not catch if your microphone has been calibrated.
Regards,
X
I already update software REW5.01 Beta.. I will show the measurement results the same you. But I understand a litter, I don' understand it good or bad. Who can understand, please explain to me, Thank you!

Here is Fostex 166 sigma in TL for driver 6,5inch.
fostex166sigma-1.jpg

Here is Philips AD9710M01 TL for driver 8inch.
9710.jpg

Here is Klangfilm siemen in TL for driver 8inch.
klangfilm-1.jpg

Here is Heathkit AS-101

heathkit101.jpg

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
In the frequency response graphs, I understand the sp-line on top of the speaker, while the 2nd-5th hamonic and THD I don't understand, who understand please explain to me? thanks a lot!

The harmonic distortion represents frequency content that was not in the original signal fed to the speaker. So for example if you put a 50Hz sine into the speaker you get 100Hz, 150Hz, 200Hz, etc. the ideal is zero harmonics that are not supposed to be there. The bigger the HD is the less pure it will sound. Most people are not bothered by HD until is is in the 5% and up. But is you listen to a speaker with sub 0.5% HD you will hear that bit is clean. In your first graph the THD or sum of all the HD is -15dB. That is not bad given you are getting bass down to 40Hz from a full range. In the 300Hz to 10kHz good speakers are less than -40dB THD. Odd order HD is worse than even order because it is more audible.

this is interesting, do you think the box will work for most full-range 8"?
Im sorry, I do not have any driver Lowther for my test. I tested Philips, Klangfilm siemens, FOSTEX 206, all with good results, bass range very impressive . If you are not satisfied with the box that you are using for Lowther, why don't you try to follow my design? will be very interesting. I think if you use PM6C in my design, you can hear a good bass range 35Hz.

The harmonic distortion represents frequency content that was not in the original signal fed to the speaker. So for example if you put a 50Hz sine into the speaker you get 100Hz, 150Hz, 200Hz, etc. the ideal is zero harmonics that are not supposed to be there. The bigger the HD is the less pure it will sound. Most people are not bothered by HD until is is in the 5% and up. But is you listen to a speaker with sub 0.5% HD you will hear that bit is clean. In your first graph the THD or sum of all the HD is -15dB. That is not bad given you are getting bass down to 40Hz from a full range. In the 300Hz to 10kHz good speakers are less than -40dB THD. Odd order HD is worse than even order because it is more audible.
Thank you verry murch!
All of my designs offer only the most basic, it has many advantages, but there are still many shortcomings, I will continue to study it more complete.

You try to follow my design for driver 13cm, I'm sure there will be good results. If you want a more suitable design for your speakers, you just tell me what size you want your cabinet finishing is how much? (H = ?, W ?, D?).

I have the same driver as this cabinet I built several years ago and I like that size. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/89831-bib-underwear-nothing-top.html

I like to try your cabinet H=60", W:7", D:10", all inches and inside dimensions. Would appreciate your suggestion.

I have the same driver as this cabinet I built several years ago and I like that size. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/89831-bib-underwear-nothing-top.html

I like to try your cabinet H=60", W:7", D:10", all inches and inside dimensions. Would appreciate your suggestion.
oh, very interesting. Your box is big, you have large listening room. I'm always looking for to minimize the size enclosures, because listening room of every body about 15-25m2. For the speaker driver <5inch, I just do bookshelf type, because it can strip down deep bass, but the music scene that it performed relatively small, to have a wider music scene you have to use the driver with a diameter> 6,5inch.

oh, very interesting. Your box is big, you have large listening room. I'm always looking for to minimize the size enclosures, because listening room of every body about 15-25m2. For the speaker driver <5inch, I just do bookshelf type, because it can strip down deep bass, but the music scene that it performed relatively small, to have a wider music scene you have to use the driver with a diameter> 6,5inch.

thanks, will try your 13mm design.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Please view some my video clip of Fostex 206
You should use good headphones to hear the bass range

All I have to do is dream

All I have to do is dream Fostex 206 in TL - YouTube

In The Hollow

http://youtu.be/g6mTmsyl0vA

Jazz variants

http://youtu.be/usXS9q59SCw

That sounds nice - I can definitely hear the bass. It sounds a bit thin in the mid range though. Which version of "Dream" is that so I can hear the source?

The Fostex definitely has some good highs though.

That sounds nice - I can definitely hear the bass. It sounds a bit thin in the mid range though. Which version of "Dream" is that so I can hear the source?

The Fostex definitely has some good highs though.
Yes, This problem is my video recording by web cam on laptop and driver, my fostex 206 is new not enough to run 100h review. When I used philips 9710 and Klangfilm siemen this problem not to big. This is also the biggest obstacle that I had to overcome in nextime.

Here is the frequency response graph of Fostex 206
fe206.jpg

And here is overlay of AD9710, Klangfilm and Fe206

fe206-9710-klangfilm.jpg

The blue is fostex 206, range 50hz-200hz no good than the AD9710 and Klangfilm, although fe206 used ribbed speaker is soft cloth.

In my experience old style end-loaded TL like this tend to prefer drivers with a Qts in the .7 range. However, a low Qts driver combined with a high output impedance tube amplifier can sometimes be a magical combination with this sort of TL. I'm not sure what amplifier you're using, but if you can get your hands on an old single ended 6AQ5 amp or something like that, it would be worth trying.

When simulations became available, people mostly stopped making this sort of transmission line, because offset driver ML-TL's sim so much better. But we shouldn't forget these, as their audio benefits are not immediately obvious on 'paper'.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.