some samples box very good for full-range speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Vvxuan,
Thanks for sharing your design and measurements. Good to see others providing measurements as well as sound clips - something I have always done to give others an idea of the performance and the sound. It looks like Diy is very much alive in VN. Those are very nice antique drivers and BLH boxes. For your measurements, can you also provide the harmonic distortion plots for 2nd through 5th? Also, impulse response curves are very useful. On the plots try to expand the range so that we can see more resolution in the vertical axis. Perhaps show 40dB to 100dB as vertical axis. On the data in general can you show with 1/12oct smoothing? I did not catch if your microphone has been calibrated.
Regards,
X
Thank you. I am a vietnamese, wellcomes you go to Vietnam.
There are many results shown on REW software I also understand some (a little). I don't understand 'harmonic distortion plots for 2nd through 5th'.
The frequency response graph of my I is relative, not in accordance with international standards. I do not have test sound room, not setup correctly 1w / 1m. I just compare the frequency response graph of the speakers in the same conditions (same equipment transmitter and receiver signal and distance 1m). I can show with 1/12oct smoothing in next time.
Regards,

Here is a sample box for full-range speaker driver 8inch. size H110cm, W30cm and D40cm.
I have many form, This is only test samples. I do not have time to complete the
outside.
DSC_7876.jpg

DSC_7871.jpg

Very simple and easy. You hear some video clip I recorded with Laptop.
I used driver Klangfilm simiens 8inch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzKvdnFThpw
Fist is Klangfilm simiens in my box, second is Nirvana 10inch Alico in Canterbury.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtoicA098M0
Fist is Nirvana and second Klangfilm.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thank you. I am a vietnamese, wellcomes you go to Vietnam.
There are many results shown on REW software I also understand some (a little). I don't understand 'harmonic distortion plots for 2nd through 5th'.
The frequency response graph of my I is relative, not in accordance with international standards. I do not have test sound room, not setup correctly 1w / 1m. I just compare the frequency response graph of the speakers in the same conditions (same equipment transmitter and receiver signal and distance 1m). I can show with 1/12oct smoothing in next time.
Regards,

Under the harnonic distortion tab, select the check boxes for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th harmonic to be displayed.

Here is an example from my XKi speaker showing the 2nd through 5th harnonics.

461179d1422071148-xki-xs-ab-initio-karlson-6th-order-bandpass-xki-rs100p-hd-eq.png

Here some the frequency response graph that I measured is compared with a other speakers.
I show with 1/6oct smoothing, if I show with 1/12oct smoothing will be nicer.

You know, here is box of Fostex 208, it quite complicated
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I used the same driver Klangfilm siemen 8inch for Fostex 208 box and my box, I measured and the results as follow

Red is my box and blue is box for Fostex 208.
range >10khz the same because they used driver the same. Range bass < 100hz, my box than better.

Here is Coral BL8

It simple than the box for Fostex 208, but it is more complicated than my design.
Here is the frequency response graph, I used the same driver Klangfilim siemens 8 inch in box Coral BL8 and my box.

I used driver Philips 9710M01 for my design, very good.
Here is the frequency response graph of Klangfilm siemens 8in, Philips AD9710M01 in my box and Nirvana in Canterbury box.

Red is Klangfilm, Blue is Philip AD9710 and Green is Nirvana.

Here is the frequency response graph of Klangfilm siemens 8in, Philips AD9710M01 in my box and Heathkit AS-101 (the genuine goods)

Red is Klangfilm, Blue is AD9710 and Green is Heatkit AS-101.

Here is the frequency response graph of Klangfilm siemens 8in, Philips AD9710M01 in my box and Onkyo Scepter 10 (the genuine goods)

Red is Klangfilm siemen, Blue is AD9710 and Green is Onkyo Scepter 10.

You see, all driver in my design range bass very good.
Now, you can try take a pair to enjoy great sound quality.

Next time, I will design box for full-range speakers, driver 10inch and bigger. When good results I will share for everyone.
Thanks for reading my post, have fun!

VUXUAN thanks sharing your nice work.

Did a listen your 8" diy box design it sounds good. When comparing sound your box design to the Nirvana design i perceive your design adds a long reverb tail to the kick drum transient and for me this reminds they have a signature as a nice live concert :).

If interested attached is a picture (copy) of one of your plots added some small guide.

Try by exercise to create a picture file directly from REW program instead of capture the hole program window (gives cleaner plot area as the one xrk971 uploaded), first prepare the scale in the plot area with the green tools seen in attached picture and last create the picture file with the brown tool.

For info latest REW now at "v5.01 Beta 24 build 3556" it's free software though needs a user registration profile and active logon. A possibility is try in your current version hit "Help" menu then "Check for Updates Now".

Attachments

• Vyxuan.png
    Vyxuan.png
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,147
Last edited:
Nice work vvxuan !

I found this type of design work well for subs. This was my first prototype years back.

http://www.coolcat.dk/bjoern/HideAway_Contruction.pdf

I like your idea to use this type of enclosure FR. Have to look more into this :)

Hi
Bjærn
Thank you! I think you and me have the same idea. You used driver 12inch? I think, in your design, if you extend the line to double, then you will have bass range is terrible. When I used driver 8inch (AD 9710 or Klangfilm siemen) in my design, I I can hear very good about 35Hz frequency. If I design enclosure TL for driver 10-12inch, it would be good to 25Hz frequency. Next time, I'll do it.
I tested the samples enclosure TL for driver 4inch (FOSTEX 103), 5inch (RFT 2323), 6,5inch (AD7064 Philips, Pioneer, FOSTEX 166 sigma), 8inch (AD9710M01, Klangfilm Siemens, FOSTEX 206E). With many different shapes and sizes, but they all have good results.

Here is for 4inch.

DSC_7383.jpg

DSC_7387.jpg

Here is for 5inch

DSC_6785.jpg

DSC_6825.jpg

Here is for 6,5inch

DSC_7295.jpg

Here is for driver 6,5inch withi 4 line in box, size 70x32x32cm.
DSC_7297.jpg

DSC_7877.jpg

Form that I share everyone's beautiful form, compact and easy to construction.

VUXUAN thanks sharing your nice work.

Did a listen your 8" diy box design it sounds good. When comparing sound your box design to the Nirvana design i perceive your design adds a long reverb tail to the kick drum transient and for me this reminds they have a signature as a nice live concert :).

If interested attached is a picture (copy) of one of your plots added some small guide.

Try by exercise to create a picture file directly from REW program instead of capture the hole program window (gives cleaner plot area as the one xrk971 uploaded), first prepare the scale in the plot area with the green tools seen in attached picture and last create the picture file with the brown tool.

For info latest REW now at "v5.01 Beta 24 build 3556" it's free software though needs a user registration profile and active logon. A possibility is try in your current version hit "Help" menu then "Check for Updates Now".

Thank you very murch! I will updates softwave, then I show all graphic for you.
If you can, please do a pairs for the driver 6,5inch or 8inch the same my design, and the measurement results and review for everyone. I do not speak English well, then I can not explain and guide for everyone.
Thanks!

Here is the enclosure for driver 5inch. If you use driver RFT 2323 or similar, can listen to good frequency range 45Hz.

13cm.jpg

SplitterE.jpg

I used unit mm. You can use MDF or Okal 15mm.
You must be stuck to the "sound absorption material" for in side surface to avoid reflections sound echoes of parallel surfaces.

HideAway SUB

Hi vvxuan

I use 10" ScanSpeak 26W/4558T00 in the final version. I used a Peerless earlier, but the ScanSpeak has better performance. I have all the deep bass I want.

The design was inspired by Augspurger´s "Pipe with Coupling Chamber".

Hi
Bjørn

Attachments

• Ax Hideaway.pdf
    220.2 KB · Views: 190
  • Hide Away SCANSPEAK.pdf
    809.8 KB · Views: 179
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Vvxuan,
Do you ever model your cabinets before building to get the design optimized or you just build based on estimates and rules of thumb (general best practices from experience)? You might want to look at the many software packages out there that will let you get the most out of the TL's.

To capture all the folds you like to do Akabak is very good and free. Martin J King's Mathcad worksheets are good too but not free and require Mathcad. There is Leonard TL,, AJ Horn, etc. Some packages approximate well as they don't have folding capability like HornResp. In any case all of your designs would probably benefit with not placing the driver at the closed end but to offset it by 20% to 33% from the closed end to help reduce the first peak/null from the reflection at the terminus (exit).

The software will also let you see the effects of a tapered or expanding TL. Also the effects of putting a smaller opening or terminus to "mass load" so that you can get deeper bass for same length TL as a MLTL.

I can get you started with a basic akabak script for your TL as I have built something very similar before.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.