Some kind of FAST / WAW

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It'll be fine?

One cycle of a 40Hz wave takes 25ms. A 40ms delay results in the driver being almost 2 cycles behind.

If it does sound bad, try sealing up the port, and adding a little boost to the low end. The drivers you have look like they'll take it, even if its just for a test.

Chris

I haven't started building yet, working up to 12hrs per day so not much time for building really...

But I had a listen at a pair of Transmission Audio M3 speakers today. Bass-like I want to achieve something like them. They were powered by a Primare I32 amplifier.
We played the song Stimela (Coal Train) with Hugh Masekela at insane volume and they kept control throughout all the song and the bass was nice (although a little too much in that small room, about the same size as my room). The M3 had two 7" woofers per speaker and I think that might be enough, in a transmissionline that is...

adjusting group delay and things...

Anyone model an aperiodic enclosure (i don't have the capabilities on my iMac...)? I suspect that the bass will get tighter and "quicker". This has become one of my faves. The thing is if one has a vented enclosure, things can be tightened up and in my mind improved, with but a few straws or an old pair of (clean) socks or make your own "Variovent" as per Scanspeak. Ever VB that I have tried that I don't like becomes quite palatable after this seemingly dumb fix.

A nice side-effect is that the impedance of the driver drops and the curve smooths out significantly at its resonant frequency. The overall load to the amplifier becomes less, so more current is available at lower frequencies (and therefore "headroom")

Not sure if this is directly related to the newest discussion here...sorry if I'm side-tracked.

I'd reduce the aspect ratio of that slot a little - you might end up with it not-acting-like-a-port-any-more at higher volumes when the wind starts (30mm isn't much). As a preliminary test, carry right on.
Along which axis will the port be bent?
(its really hard to get this into words) If it's bent so that the 290mmm bit ends up curved, it could end up problematic as there's a large length difference between the longest and smallest paths.
If the 30mm bit ends up curved, the different made will be so small that I wouldn't worry about it, just make sure everything's rounded nicely.

In short, could you post a quick sketch of the slot port?

Cheers
Chris

here's a diagram...is this what you mean?

Does your enclosure look something like this? If so the dimensions are as indicated (if I respected your dimensions correctly)

Attachments

• vent diagram.png
    vent diagram.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 92
Rullknufs, Do you gave the Voice coil lengtyh and the Magnetic gap length? Xmax is needed ...if ya have that. I'd also check with Dave (P10) regarding this as he is the "F.A.S.T" originator. Tou can calculate it as:

Xmax=(voice coil length-magnetic gap length)/2

Rullknufs, Do you gave the Voice coil lengtyh and the Magnetic gap length? Xmax is needed ...if ya have that. I'd also check with Dave (P10) regarding this as he is the "F.A.S.T" originator. Tou can calculate it as:

Xmax=(voice coil length-magnetic gap length)/2

IIRC xmax i 9mm. I know this because there was a guy on a Swedish forum who had a lot of these drivers and he opened one just to see xmax. I don't know about vc length and magnetic gap length...
I have one extra driver which is broken (doa, scrapes when cone is moving), maybe I can "open" it somehow and measure myself?

oops, my Bad.

Here's a calculation I did with an online calculator...I just used this:

Area of a vent:= π X r², and Area of a rectangle:= L X W

equating them becomes: π X r²= L X W
isolating for r------> r²= (L X W)÷π -----> r=√((L X W)÷π)

so using L=3, W=29 the result is as follows : r=5.2624cm

so the 3 cm X 29 cm rectangular vent is the same as a circular vent with a radius of 5.26 cm, or a diameter of 10.52 cm.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.