Soekris' DAC implementations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Been checking for three days :)eek:)

Just found out the problem... the com port adapter does not match my motherboard... I just measured the pins and it does not match up with the motherboard manual. Just rigged up another ethernet cable as makeshift to connect to the board and it's a success!

So be careful when you buy com port adapters for your motherboard I guess. I'll rig a proper one tomorrow.

Thanks for trying to help glt (I've usually commented as anonymous on your site... but my 8-ch hifiduino 9018 is still one of my fav dacs :D)

Hi ristar,

Could you please share the usb to rx232 chipset maker on your adapter? I haven't bought mine yet, but it looks like the FTDI chips seem to work. Of course, nothing could have prepared for your motherboard issue. I am so glad that you found it.

Jac

Hi ristar,

Could you please share the usb to rx232 chipset maker on your adapter? I haven't bought mine yet, but it looks like the FTDI chips seem to work. Of course, nothing could have prepared for your motherboard issue. I am so glad that you found it.

Jac

Hi Jac,

I didn't manage to get my USB to serial adapter to work... the loopback checks work with TTL signals... but when I try to convert to rs232 signals with the MAX3232 IC the loopback test fails. I'm wondering if I killed the converter somehow.

The motherboard I have does not have a standard 9-pin com port header (it is an x58 board so well past the common use of com ports). Just wanted to give a heads up to other folks struggling with the PC com port that's all.

Best,

Hi Jac,

I didn't manage to get my USB to serial adapter to work... the loopback checks work with TTL signals... but when I try to convert to rs232 signals with the MAX3232 IC the loopback test fails. I'm wondering if I killed the converter somehow.

The motherboard I have does not have a standard 9-pin com port header (it is an x58 board so well past the common use of com ports). Just wanted to give a heads up to other folks struggling with the PC com port that's all.

Best,

Hi Jac,

Just managed to sort out the issue with my usb adapter. The loopback test is working now (the arduino hookup wires that I was using... one of them is broken internally even if visually it looks ok Zzz. It may have been from all the trying.)

In any case, really cheap solution even if a bit fiddly. There may be some that incorporate real RS232 signals. I just used what I had already bought prior FTDI 232 TTL board with a cheap MAX3232 IC. Total US$5. Links below:

FT232RL FTDI USB to TTL Serial Adapter Module for Arduino Mini Port 3.3V 5V Free Shipping-in Other Electronic Components from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Y92" Hot Sale! MAX3232 Serial Port Mini RS232 To TTL Converter Adaptor Module Board Free Shipping-in Other Electronic Components from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Hope it helps!

Download the VCP drivers for the FTDI adapters from here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

I'll probably be mounting this to the final chassis so it's easier to update the DAC. Those USB cables are more ubiquitous than serial ports on PCs after all.

Last edited:
Hi, I want to share my crappy build. It consist of the dam board powered directly from a 7 VAC antek traffo, the i2s source its a banana pi pro running mpd and the files are in a old sata drive, the banana and the HDD are powered from a two port 20W cellphone SMPS. The unbuffered out are conected to my old and trusty Logitech Z-Cinema, but in the future I will be using the balanced out in to a pair of LPUHP amp powering an Alpair6p based bookshelf... Some crappy pictures... and sorry form my bad english

Attachments

• WP_000129.jpg
    WP_000129.jpg
    892.4 KB · Views: 719
  • WP_000130.jpg
    WP_000130.jpg
    814.6 KB · Views: 696
Looks like a great start. It looks like you are controlling the banana with wi-fi (antenna?). Just curious, how does it sound and what MPD client are you using to control it?

Yes, Im using wifi (in the firts picture you can see the tiny antenna beside of the HDD, that come bundle with the banana pi pro, its snall but work great), but initially I was using the ethernet port. Cantata (linux and window version) and mpdroid are the client that I've tried...

To my sound great, better than the build in soundcard of the Z-cinema and a raspberry pi with a hifiberry dac... But this is my first full blow DIY project, maybe Im not the best person to give you the best opinion...

Last edited:
Hi,
Do you use I2S "directly" to connect between Banana Pro and DAM? If so,how? need special setup on Banana Pro?

Yes, Im using wifi (in the firts picture you can see the tiny antenna beside of the HDD, that come bundle with the banana pi pro, its snall but work great), but initially I was using the ethernet port. Cantata (linux and window version) and mpdroid are the client that I've tried...

To my sound great, better than the build in soundcard of the Z-cinema and a raspberry pi with a hifiberry dac... But this is my first full blow DIY project, maybe Im not the best person to give you the best opinion...

Hi,
Do you use I2S "directly" to connect between Banana Pro and DAM? If so,how? need special setup on Banana Pro?

Wiht the banana pi pro you have I2S and SPDIF output (also 3v3 and GND), Ive tried both but the spdif out only have support for 16 bit resolution not 24 bit (it seems that this is a software issue, because the hardware should support it)... Follow this tread in the lemaker forum:

Banana Pro - I2S interface - Advanced users - Banana Pro | Banana Pi Forum

The last post, guide you to where donwload the correct image with the I2S driver integrated, how to activate the driver, etc... When you have the banana pi pro up and runing, with mpd installed, in /etc/mpd.conf make shure that you have selected the correct sound output...

Last edited:
Subwoofer implementation

As a few people here are using this strategy I thought this would be an appropriate question for this forum.
I have been running my subwoofer amp from the balanced outputs and my main amp from the direct outputs simultaneously. When one of the rcas came unplugged I discovered that the sub amp is introducing phase cancellation in its mono summing circuit.
If I switch the one of the buffered outputs from +/GND to -/GND will it fix the phase issue in the summing circuit?
Also- would this introduce crosstalk into the direct outputs or otherwise risk harming anything on the DAM?

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
As a few people here are using this strategy I thought this would be an appropriate question for this forum.
I have been running my subwoofer amp from the balanced outputs and my main amp from the direct outputs simultaneously. When one of the rcas came unplugged I discovered that the sub amp is introducing phase cancellation in its mono summing circuit.
If I switch the one of the buffered outputs from +/GND to -/GND will it fix the phase issue in the summing circuit?
Also- would this introduce crosstalk into the direct outputs or otherwise risk harming anything on the DAM?

You might want to ask Søren...

Both XLR and the buffered outputs are run from the output of the differential opamp, so you are paralleling the loads. If you have RCA on +ve/GND and XLR connected as well the RCA will change alter the loading on the +ve and effect both RCA and XLR.

Attachments

• Outputs.png
    Outputs.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 794
Hi,

This discrete R2R dac looks like a very nice design.

I have been using a 4 board modified 1794 dddac that sounds fantastic.
I am curious as to how this dac compaires.

I see some posters that are also active on the dddac thread so maybe they can elaborate on the sonic signature in relation to the dddac?

Regards,

Hi,

This discrete R2R dac looks like a very nice design.

I have been using a 4 board modified 1794 dddac that sounds fantastic.
I am curious as to how this dac compaires.

I see some posters that are also active on the dddac thread so maybe they can elaborate on the sonic signature in relation to the dddac?

Regards,

if both were in stock configuration single dac board
soekris dac is much better in every way but flow/fluidity

I'm still trying filters and modding to beat my version of the dddac
I think it will as it's far more detailed
definitely try it
good project :)

if both were in stock configuration single dac board
soekris dac is much better in every way but flow/fluidity

I'm still trying filters and modding to beat my version of the dddac
I think it will as it's far more detailed
definitely try it
good project :)

I'll be joining you soon in that comparision. First thing for me will be to hook it up to a unregulated choke(d) supply, similair to what we did with the DDDAC.

Last edited:
Hi. I have a question regarding the Amanero supply using the GB Input PCB. I just want to confirm that in addition to the Dac 7V,10VA transformer, we need an other supply for the Amanero.

I also want to confirm that the Amanero needs an external 3.3Vdc supply, anyone knows the supply current needed? I was thinking to use Salas Reflecktor-D shunt supply for that.

Thanks in advance, any information appreciated.

Hi,

I do use the amanero with external 5V supply: it's also a lab supply with current sense, it shows 135mA consumption in full operation mode, 192 kHz.
It also can get higher, like 170mA in cases when something gets stuck. Maybe also higher at higher rates, did not try that.

Ciao, George

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.