Soekris' DAC implementations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
@DimDim

I see on your blog that you have switched from a transformer to BiB regulated supply. I was wondering if you heard any difference between the power supplies and, if so, different in what way? Thanks.

Jac

DimDim:

Same here.
I picked out the BiB PCBs yesterday and going to make a psu for the DAC too.
Your comments about BiB's performance is highly regarded.

Arthur

I'm afraid that while I did go to a Salas BiB PS, I still haven't had the chance to actually listen to the DAC play. This last week I was down with the well known and extremely annoying flu, so I'm still waiting for my sinuses to clear (and my ears to come back on-line). I will reserve judgement until I can do a proper A-B test.

I'm afraid that while I did go to a Salas BiB PS, I still haven't had the chance to actually listen to the DAC play. This last week I was down with the well known and extremely annoying flu, so I'm still waiting for my sinuses to clear (and my ears to come back on-line). I will reserve judgement until I can do a proper A-B test.

I'm waiting for my transformers from AnTek and I'm powering the board with SSLV right now.
I can provide my 2C once youve got my hands on them.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
DimDim:

Same here.
I picked out the BiB PCBs yesterday and going to make a psu for the DAC too.
Your comments about BiB's performance is highly regarded.

Arthur

I did get one of the 7v Antec toroids back when the board came out. I have a set of BiB boards though, and would be interested if anyone finds a good setup for one of those.

I am going to use a Salas Reflektor @3.3v to power my USB board (Sonore AudioByte).

I did get one of the 7v Antec toroids back when the board came out. I have a set of BiB boards though, and would be interested if anyone finds a good setup for one of those.

I am going to use a Salas Reflektor @3.3v to power my USB board (Sonore AudioByte).

Similar to my build - I'm using two Reflektor-D's, a 5V to power the Sonore, and a 3.3V to poser 3.3v iso. I'm not convinced the DAM needs this quality of power to perform well, but with them and an SSR03 to power the DAC... It's performing very very well.

Similar to my build - I'm using two Reflektor-D's, a 5V to power the Sonore, and a 3.3V to poser 3.3v iso. I'm not convinced the DAM needs this quality of power to perform well, but with them and an SSR03 to power the DAC... It's performing very very well.

MR,
have you tried to power the DAM directly from the AC transformer?
I'm curious if there is any difference versus the SSR03, since the DAM has on-board rectification and power from the SSR03 goes through it anyway.

Anyone tried such comparison - to feed AC vs tightly-regulated DC?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi guys, sorry for the dumb question, I already got my dam board and I also have purchase an Antek 7 VAC 10 VA traffo (AN-0107), but how I must conect the green and blue secundaries wires to the J1 connector of the DAC. Thanks in advance...

One pair of secondaries to pin1 and 2, and the other pair to 3 and 4.

One pair makes the positive rail, and the other the negative.

I don't know the colors, but they should be available from Antec, on their website.

One pair of secondaries to pin1 and 2, and the other pair to 3 and 4.

One pair makes the positive rail, and the other the negative.

I don't know the colors, but they should be available from Antec, on their website.

if it is standard Antec, it is marked on the side. However, there are two blue - green circuits. You must check which blue - green pairs have continiuty and mount them as pairs on the DAM1021 board. I usually use green as ground, blue as AC+, for no reason.

Hi everyone,

Everything is working perfect for me except for the serial connection. I've tried a usb to serial interface (including a ttl-rs232 adapter), as well as real PC comm port. I'm just not getting a connection (I've crossed TX and RX)... anyone have any hints that can possibly help me?

I have two DAM1021 and it's not working on both (one of them only has power connectors and serial connectors soldered... awaiting use for when I can run them in parallel). I've been trying for a few days, so any help would be useful!

Best,

Hi everyone,

Everything is working perfect for me except for the serial connection. I've tried a usb to serial interface (including a ttl-rs232 adapter), as well as real PC comm port. I'm just not getting a connection (I've crossed TX and RX)... anyone have any hints that can possibly help me?

I have two DAM1021 and it's not working on both (one of them only has power connectors and serial connectors soldered... awaiting use for when I can run them in parallel). I've been trying for a few days, so any help would be useful!

Best,
Did you read this:
https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2015/01/30/building-soekris-r-2r-dac/
You need more than 5V on the serial line, this is important and it seems random which usb to serial interface delivers that. Somewhere there is a list posted with working interfaces.
By the way, serial cables have tx and rx crossed internally, so crossing again at the dam is not necessary (happened to me) if using such a cable.

Last edited:
Did you read this:
https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2015/01/30/building-soekris-r-2r-dac/
You need more than 5V on the serial line, this is important and it seems random which usb to serial interface delivers that. Somewhere there is a list posted with working interfaces.
By the way, serial cables have tx and rx crossed internally, so crossing again at the dam is not necessary (happened to me) if using such a cable.

Yes I did, as well as Dimitris' blog. I get -10.7v on the TX line from the PC comm port and -8.7v on the TX line (both referenced to the ground on the respective ports) of the USB to serial adapter. I'm just stumped.

I've tried crossing and uncrossing. Right now, I've put together a short ethernet cable that I've soldered to a female db9 and connect that straight to the PC comm port. Just not understanding why no connection is made at all.

Check solder joints in header?

Been checking for three days :)eek:)

Just found out the problem... the com port adapter does not match my motherboard... I just measured the pins and it does not match up with the motherboard manual. Just rigged up another ethernet cable as makeshift to connect to the board and it's a success!

So be careful when you buy com port adapters for your motherboard I guess. I'll rig a proper one tomorrow.

Thanks for trying to help glt (I've usually commented as anonymous on your site... but my 8-ch hifiduino 9018 is still one of my fav dacs :D)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.