Soekris' DAC implementations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
for the hammond : there is a link for the US market in page 1, courtesey of a member who gave it for the North american owners of the dam1021 ! If you asked for the main 7v traffo !

I have been known to miss stuff, so forgive me if my mind and my eyes just aren't working, but I don't see the Hammond on page 1 of this thread. Only toroids for the 7 VA transformer section of the parts source. Am I missing something?

Cool! And I'm a touch jealous.

If you have a source and a part number for the Hammond tranformers, it would be good to share. Same for the A123 batteries, LiFePO4 battieries, etc. It's good to have sources.

It is the HAMMOND 166G7 - only 4.7 va.

I am in the US so my sources might be expensive for freight.

I get the transformers from angela.com.

My source for the A123 batteries lost their arrangement with A123.

Best US supplier (only?) A123 System High Power Nanophosphate LiFePO4 26650 Rechargeable Cell: 3.2V 2500 mAh, 120A Rate, 8.0Wh

at least they will put tabs on which is a little tricky to do at home.

Their price is almost twice what I paid before. I will eventually replace thos transfomers. Like this weekend!

Thing sounds quite good using upsampled files (not on the fly) and using the new JPlay 6 (beta 3). Quite an achievement and they are not through with it.

Oh, well ...

Last edited:
Not saying it is ideal. I usually like a little more VA, too.

But it does work. There is no heating of the transformers so I guess they are not stressed.

I got them just to make sure everything worked as it should.

I will use two sets of three of the A123 26650s - hope to make the change this weekend.

Have not done anything with the filters yet since to be honest I have yet to get the link to work to upload (another task for the weekend) but as is with the upsampled files (24/196 by dBPoweramp since it is easy and I already have it) sounds quite good to my ears. With regular files it is far from horrible but lacks dimension and atmosphere in comparison.

Will be interesting to hear what difference the batteries make. Might be an unfair comparison with those puny transformers!!!

For those of you with operating boards, do we still see an issue with the rails dropping unevenly at turn off? Or asked another way, will you still get a "pop" if you turn off the dac before the power amp?

I'm curious and having been playing around with a couple of 555 timer and relay circuits to protect the output by making sure that the rails stay powered longer than the relay in the output circuit. Honors to Jean-Paul who made a similar suggestion earlier in one of these threads.

My assumption here is that the "plops" from sample rate changing are handled by Soren's firemware updates, but that the rails are potentially more risky and won't be addressed by firmware.

Thanks in advance.

Jac

Post Script - Just as I was typing this, the delivery man delivered my DAM1021. I'm finally in the group for real.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.