Soekris' DAC implementations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I am getting "I3 V+00" on hyper terminal running on my old laptop via serial port. 5.5V measured.
When I type +++ cursor stops blinking but no response. When I type "download" no response. I tried sending .skr but connection timed out. Any ideas?

I would try some other terminal software, like ExtraPutty.

I have mixed feelings about HyperTerminal. It has hung on me too many times these past few days (on Windows 8.1 64bit).

Following the instruction on Dimdim's blog,
I managed to update the firmware with a UNITEK USB-2-RS-232 adaptor.
Here are a few cents that may be useful for Windows XP users:

1. When setting up a Hyperterminal (I use Windows XP),
please check the communication port.
My computer automatically select the wrong one.
You may use the hardware list in control panel to look up the com port used by the adaptor.

2. When setting the 115200, 8, n, 1 in a dialog box,
MAKE SURE that there is no flow control.
The default setting does not work with the Dam1021.

3. Make sure you select "Xmodem 1K" before you click SEND.

Sorry for attaching Chinese Windows dialog boxes, but boxes in other languages should look similar.

Attachments

• connect.png
    connect.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 518
  • Flow-Control.png
    Flow-Control.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 509
  • x-modem.png
    x-modem.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 527
Last edited:
Finally, could it be a good solution as said somewhere else to play upsampled via a software to 384 (even 44.1 at 388 instead 352.xx !).

Could be possible to upsample in a standalone job all our collection on a second HDD with Sox software ?

If dynamic is not here after that : beginning to play with output buffer, little, traffo, tube !
And or on the PS layout : swapping PS caps or go with a shunt PS like some did ?

Is someone happy with 380 material playing NOS with the stock dam1021 filter ? (memory aid : dam1021 plays NOS with no filter or a very little one at 388 Khz)

From what I have read, using HQ Player or the like and processing pre dac has several possible advantages compared to doing it in the dac:

1) More processing power means more complex, perhaps "better" filters can be used.

2) Removing the processing from the dac removes the burden on the dac. Less load may mean better performance.

3) It is easy to process on the fly a wider variety of filters.

4) Filters contained in HQ Player, for example, were designed and tested over a long period by someone expert in digital signal processing. Personally, I doubt my limited experience and knowledge in this field would allow me to come up with anything nearly as well designed and executed. Of course, that is just me....

Julf

The NOS speed of the dam1021 is 384 ! RTFM... ah no there isn't manual yet :D ! So it's my understanding and of course I was not only talking about red book materials as I guess about upsampling it with a soft despite the FGPA ! Pfffff !

The reason to use a pc could be a more complex filter, than the one from a chip with limited taps number ! You know the old conversations between filter chip + oversampling Vs upsampling made on the PC by soft (being proprietary algorthym like HKR player or not !) ?

An other one could it be to let the chip quieter ? thermal drift ? hahaha, dunno ! Sometimes the theory ! We have now people who listen to difference between the dam1021 feeded by the USB vs a spidf a=t the same Fs.... despite the FIFO! I asked if it could be about the capacity in nano/m s of the FIFO buffer chip... technical guys didn't answer !

You know yourself being engineer there are sometimes too much parameters to have theory conjectures as you like to write to stay playfull ! This is not everytime a marketing plot and eachtime bad technicians !

Btw being electrical engineer doesn't avoid to do mistakes as I see !

Last edited:
You're welcome !

At least, after a proof of concept to avoid just educated guess : it plays bad to my ears for the moment !
My simple understanding of no brained man is at this time of the project:

- It's very hard to swap the FIR 1 filter and thank-you Paul to work on it with enthusiasm.
- or : because a deeper scenario programmation of the FGPA which is the choice of the engineer the chosen speed without filter is 380 (with a few FIR2 job but non as strong than the FIR1 which waste the "real" NOS material (we have mostly !)

In my ceratinly too simple scenario, I would like to know if some guys has tryed to play it with upsampled red-book to 380 with Sox soft or whatever (HQR player would be better but expensive) which not involved the FGPA and are able to hear (better) difference ?

From here, understanding as well if there are some layout/development limitations which sounds bad to try to fix it ! (mostly the main pre PS and an aded outputstages to mod (taylor it) the sound to try a more pleasant sound signature !

Last edited:
:mad: TNT, It's not your business I contribute or not and at least I made it with this thread ! Should it be modest, I made it !

I'm fed up with the egotronic sided behaviour ! Some spent more time to give lessons than help ! Or just help at the price of polishing (not to say worst) their ego when answering !

I don't want to re invent the Wheel, just asked a question and maybe just somebody tried it already ! That's all !

Last edited:
:mad: TNT, It's not your business I contribute or not and at least I made it with this thread ! Should it be modest, I made it !

I'm fed up with the egotronic sided behaviour ! Some spent more time to give lessons than help ! Or just help at the price of polishing (not to say worst) their ego when answering !

I don't want to re invent the Wheel, just asked a question and maybe just somebody tried it already ! That's all !

+1

Thank you to TNT for your work on filters.

@Eldam

Thank you for creating this thread. As a Dac beginner, I have learned from some of the conversations. Also, some of the links on the first page, in particular components for the build, are very useful.

Please allow me to contribute to the component list. For those in the US, one option for a transformer is the Antek AN-0107 - 10VA 7V Transformer. I've had good luck with Antek transformers in other projects. If appropriate, please add to the list of transformers.

@Eldam

Thank you for creating this thread. As a Dac beginner, I have learned from some of the conversations. Also, some of the links on the first page, in particular components for the build, are very useful.

Please allow me to contribute to the component list. For those in the US, one option for a transformer is the Antek AN-0107 - 10VA 7V Transformer. I've had good luck with Antek transformers in other projects. If appropriate, please add to the list of transformers.

Good if you are in the US I guess, otherwise paying $40 to ship a $10 part is a bit much.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.