Soekris' DAC implementations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you spzzzkt. I am having trouble connecting via terminal or the serial app on Mac. Maybe I have the wrong cord, not sure. It has gotten to the point where I have 5 or 6 windows open just to cross reference instructions- do I cycle power, reverse connections, change speeds, have the right cord, etc... Anyhow I will just wait patiently for a manual to come out! In the meantime most music sounds quite good as is :)

Thanks Paul for the given links.

Normundss : 0805 case size is ok.

I discover smd soldering for the first time one year ago and finally deal now with 0603 case size. Most of us with a the adapted iron and some flux will be able to do that with some spare parts for the little resistor or caps for the beginners !

Check that you are getting >6V at the end of your wire (with it disconnected from the DAC).

What terminal program are you using?

dimdim, you should know I am following your blog!

Using PUTTY and to repeat for nige2000 my computer has a serial port.

I will make that measurement as soon as I get home.

I assume that would only exist on the transmit line or both?

I had soldered the wires directly to the DAC since I did not have a connector as you used. With the DAC off could I still get a voltage measurement? If necessary I can remove the wires, of course.

What is the connector you used called? I hate connectors so it is no surprise I know very little about them.

Another thing - will the DAC be recognized (by the serial port) if it is not connected to a source? In my case WAVE IO. I assume that is why the green LED is blinking. I will have it connected tonight but thought I would get the firmware out of the way. Having to prepare the ends of my uFL connectors to solder into the DAC board and ran out of time for that (unpleasant) kind of work.

Soekris, at this point I am using two seven volts transformers and no funny stuff! Wanted to re-assure you.

Thanks!

From a PC, I would expect a little less than 5 volts on the serial lines.

Real RS-232 is 12v, but you don't see many of those anymore.

From what Soekris said, if you get 5v it should work.

Rick
Since a real PC 232 port is supposed to work fine, I think the most likely problem is the RX and TX lines are crossed. With both the PC and DAC on, I would expect to get 5V on both. If you only see 5V on either RX or TX, I would swap and see if it works.

Nigel
Some USB to RS-232 adapters work, some don't. Some only put out 3.3V signals, and those don't work, you need to get one that puts out 5V signals.

Also, I started a wiki here, and it has a couple sources for adapters which people have used and they say work
dac wiki

Page needs a lot of work still, but its a start.

Randy

Last edited:
From a PC, I would expect a little less than 5 volts on the serial lines.

Real RS-232 is 12v, but you don't see many of those anymore.

From what Soekris said, if you get 5v it should work.

Rick
Since a real PC 232 port is supposed to work fine, I think the most likely problem is the RX and TX lines are crossed. With both the PC and DAC on, I would expect to get 5V on both. If you only see 5V on either RX or TX, I would swap and see if it works.

Nigel
Some USB to RS-232 adapters work, some don't. Some only put out 3.3V signals, and those don't work, you need to get one that puts out 5V signals.

Also, I started a wiki here, and it has a couple sources for adapters which people have used and they say work
dac wiki

Page needs a lot of work still, but its a start.

Randy

It would be JUST LIKE ME to have reversed the leads.

I checked more than four times and sometimes that is not enough!

dimdim, you should know I am following your blog!

Using PUTTY and to repeat for nige2000 my computer has a serial port.

I will make that measurement as soon as I get home.

I assume that would only exist on the transmit line or both?

With the wires disconnected, the voltage will exist on one of the lines (can't really remember which one). It is a negative voltage wrt ground if I remember correctly.

I had soldered the wires directly to the DAC since I did not have a connector as you used. With the DAC off could I still get a voltage measurement? If necessary I can remove the wires, of course.

I think you can get a valid measurement with the DAC off.

What is the connector you used called? I hate connectors so it is no surprise I know very little about them.

It's just part of a long .1" female header.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I buy long strips of it (as in the picture) and just cut them to length.

Another thing - will the DAC be recognized (by the serial port) if it is not connected to a source? In my case WAVE IO. I assume that is why the green LED is blinking. I will have it connected tonight but thought I would get the firmware out of the way. Having to prepare the ends of my uFL connectors to solder into the DAC board and ran out of time for that (unpleasant) kind of work.

It doesn't matter whether you have a source connected or not.

If you want to be sure that everything is working properly, first connect your serial cable, power up your PC and run your terminal software. Then power up the DAC. You should get something like "I0" followed by "V+00".

That will mean that you are OK.

Tomorrow I'll do an edit to my blog adding more detailed steps for uploading firmware/filters to the DAC.

It would be JUST LIKE ME to have reversed the leads.

I checked more than four times and sometimes that is not enough!

Rick
You can't damage 232 lines, so if all else fails, swap the lines. Worst that can happen is it still wont work, but there will be no permanent damage. Trust me, people reserve them ALL the time, so they are made to survive that.

Randy

Thanks dimdim and Randy for your help.

I was able to measure voltage on the transmit side and it was approx 11 volts.

I must admit I was in a hurry and was not paying attention to polarity.

There was vestigial voltage on the send side.

I will be more attentive tonight.

I just ordered an USB-232 adapter, so will be playing with this soon hopefully.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.