So I did try all those different potentiometers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yesterday I replaced my Alps blue pot with cheap plastic Piher
on my GainClone just for fun to see the difference.Both pots are 50k log.
Excelent sounding GC changed to dull sounding with no
soundstage and botom end with no definition.Mids and hights
changed from smooth to harsh and details were lost.
I am very superstitious; thats why I can hear the difference
of the passive components.;)

To Igla : Blue Alps is the same carbon s..t as the Piher, with the same power dissipation. Only one objective difference is collectors - Alps one have both five multiplicated, Piher is simplest, so transient resistance should be bigger. Exist certainly one big advantage of japanese one : price, which cause in your brain feeling of perfecion :D - or can you to say, that japanese carbon have different atomic or crystalic structure than spanish one :D . To Peter : " .. substantial claim .. " - yes, it is. And I must say : I don't like wizards, mainly in electronic.

You might like wizards or not, but this won't change the fact that people have preference for one pot or another only because of the sound quality (and not build quality) and adding price factor to that is simply childish.

One might have hold hundreds pots in his hands, but if it never occured to him to listen to them, what good was it for?

Peter, if I will hear, that similar test was make with independent people by double blind method, by strictly the same condition ( measured the same listening level ) and that claimer have explanation for it, I will start think about it. I'm sorry, but what you say, is only claiming without any " scientific weight ". Preferences of people are offten tendencionaly, because especialy on hifi region offten wish is father of idea.

You don't need a crowd of people to confirm your personal observations. It all depends on personal aspects of judgement making, proper choices and coming up with decisions. It's not an esy task and for some people it may be something they are either not ready to cope with or simply don't want to bother. That's why they prefer to hold on to scientific methods or substantial number of people to make that choices for them.

But as I already mentioned in other threads, we are dealing here with perception and with perceiving things, and you cannot expect others to have it the same way as you do.

sss said:

The beech wood [knob] is coated several times with C37 lacquer for best sound as pointed out by Dieter Ennemoser. How can this make a difference??? Well, hearing is believing as we always say. The sound becomes much more open and free flowing with a nice improvement in resolution. Dynamics are better and overall naturalness is improved.

Simply astounding. Just when I though I'd heard it all, people reach new levels of audio bull****.

Igla said:
Yes Upupa; I hate the price of Alps pots but sonicaly
they worth every penny over Piher pots.
I can't lay hands on Noble or Panasonic pots around here to try.

These Alpha pots are not inferior to the Alps Blue.
Compare the price and have a shock.
So... is this just in my mind?
Do I want a cheap pot that sounds good?

Upupa, is it hard to understand that a bad (I don't say cheap anymore:D ) pot sounds bad?
Is it black magic for you?:xeye:
You are generalizing in saying that a passive component doesn't have a sound of it's own.
Change your speaker cables for another type and listen.;)

Vikash said:
Simply astounding. Just when I though I'd heard it all, people reach new levels of audio bull****.

:D

RAM would like to introduce a new signature level knob developed for the mighty Silver Rock potentiometer. [/B]

:yikes:
Hey!
Here's my opportunity to make the project I had in mind!
A device to :hot:-in volume knobs.
I'm gonna be rich!:cool:

Audiophiles are so easy to fool.:whazzat:
Write a good text, one that makes sense, and you can sell everything to them.
Even cable elevators!:clown:

I broke my sword over this discussion here - now I see, where some guys are going for inspiration - positive vibration ! Jesus ! Wood knobs ! Only is missed silver wire with spider's fibre insulation. :D Some buy an 10 k buck " pot " in crazy wood box, while in " third world " is salary one buck per day. Strange times. :xeye:

This one's pretty funny too:
Just place one to three disc on top of your preamp, CD transport, DA converter, turntable etc, and listen for the wonderful change in your Hi fi system. When this disc is excited by any external acoustic energy, it will resonate throughout the entire audible spectrum, thus overriding unwanted harmonic distortions and at the same enriching the musical reproduction.

carlosfm said:

Here's my opportunity to make the project I had in mind!
A device to :hot:-in volume knobs.
I'm gonna be rich!:cool:

I still prefer my invention: Acoustic Air in a Can™ Only £9k each. Email me for orders.

Re: ... bad pots sound bad...

Upupa Epops said:
Carlos, you are electroengineer.

No, I'm not.
Let's say that all my life (until married) I had one at home.:D

Upupa Epops said:
Can you precise define, what is bad pot ?

A Piher is a bad pot.
Besides sounding murky compared to an Alpha or an Alps Blue, you will have pick half a dozen and measure them, so that you don't have differences in level between channels at low volumes.
In the end, the Alpha is cheaper.:D
I have some Piher pots here, I can sell them.:clown:

Seriously Upupa, changing a pot like this to a good one is almost like changing a crap JRC op-amp with a better one.
The sound opens up, detail and harmonics appear.
I don't know how this can pass unnoticed.

The signal must be treated with love.
A bad pot sounds bad, as a bad cap in the way of the signal kills it.
No?:usd:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.