So I did try all those different potentiometers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pan said:
You mentioned something about one/some of your volume devices "almost as transparent as a piece of wire" how did you come to that conclusion?

I'm not aware of anything like that. If you point out the exact quote, I will tell you how I came to that conclusion.

From browsing through my posts, you should be informed that I'd rather say that even 2" of wire has a sound of it's own, so comparing resistor to a wire is something I would never do ;)

Pan said:

the stepped attenuator in the shunt position, is it constructed by a long serie of resistors or do you use only one resistor at the time to GND?

Also it would be interesting if you could try a simple metalfilm (vishay) voltage divider, using low value like 1k for the series element, and run it against your TVC.

High values and series attenuator like DACT is a no no IMO. If a stepped attenuator is to be used, it should be a two element shunt solution with lowest possible value for the given circuit.
The stepped attenuator in a picture has shunt element made out of series of resistors (Holco). I used it like that, because I didn't want to go through the process of making my own switcher, and this one I already had. However, the Vishay was the single, permanent series elemement.

When it comes to TVC, it's not that much a matter how much sound of its own it has or how it compares to even the best resistor. It works somewhat different than a simple, 2 resistor voltage divider. It is more of a transformer interface and besides serving a purpose of attenuation, it also adds some "organic" properties to the sound, something that none of the resistors are capable of doing, yet this "organic" flavour makes up for a very natural sound signature, quite neutral BTW.

I did some simple attenuator out of 6 series Vishays, but I was not impressed much by those either.

"Also the detail is very good, but not as good as straight wire."

Sorry for quoting you wrong.... also sorry for not being able to spell right ;).. "quoting"?

So the attenuator had a series of elements and you were tapping the signal in this chain?

"I did some simple attenuator out of 6 series Vishays, but I was not impressed much by those either."

Would be interesting if you could try only two (one series and one shunt) for the simplest voltage divider possibly made and compare this to the TVC. I know how TVC works and I´m still interested in what makes people like them. IOW do they perform better than the best voltage divider or do they add a nice coloration.

Since a TVC has a low ouput impedance it´s only "fair" IMO to test it against a resisitve voltage divider of similar value. I do not believe a DACT type 10k-50k attenuator is a very good solution. I do think though, that a shunt attenuator with two fixed elements (the series and one fixed shunt for the first step matched to the rig) of as low as possible resistance is very good.... in particular for a balanced set up.

/Peter

rdf said:

I've used a Bourns 10k's in a passive (with hot and ground switching pgm selector) for ten years now and never felt the need to change it. My impression is the pot does have a sound, midly subtractive and benign but no where near the effect I hear by changing out a coupling cap or interconnects. I'd be curious if anyone else here uses or has experience with them.

Which kind of Bourns are you using?

I've just got an offer to buy Bourns series-91 - stereo log. - it's "leitplastik" one ... I gues I could use it for my passive "GC preamp"?

I tried the small green Taiwan Alpha pots and they're not bad at all!

I replaced a Noble 50k log pot in my Micro-ZOTL with the Alpha and, boy, are these different sounding pots.

In my system, the Alpha sounded livelier and more transparent than the Noble. It made the system more fun to listen to. The Micro has great timing and rhythm, and this was further enhanced with the little green pot.

The Noble, however, had a weightier presentation. Unless I was sitting right in front of the speakers enjoying music in the soundfield, the Alpha could at times be a little too thin sounding.

Of course, this is most likely due to the Micro driving a set of medium efficiency speakers - not too much bottom end in this setup. I suspect this wouldn't be an issue with a better matched amplifier/speaker combination. Maybe?

Also, the Noble had a way of making the music sound a bit stiff. The Alpha was much more open and free sounding.

I like the way the Alpha sounds enough to say that the Noble won't be going back into the Micro-ZOTL. The Alpha works much better in my setup.

Can't wait to try the PEC pots, though.

Best,
KT

KT said:
I tried the small green Taiwan Alpha pots and they're not bad at all!

I replaced a Noble 50k log pot in my Micro-ZOTL with the Alpha and, boy, are these different sounding pots.

In my system, the Alpha sounded livelier and more transparent than the Noble.

Now, intead of 50k, try the Alpha 10k log pot.
You will be even more surprized.;)
Lower impedance pots always sound better to me.
10~20k it is for me.:angel:
The Alpha 10k log is fantastic.

Peter, in my life I had BUILD several thousand amps and I am not any " gluer ", I am strictly scientifictly thinking man. My questions was asked logicaly and they was not answered. Here is claimed thing, which bring superstitions and I don't like it :( . In my hands I was holding hundreds types of pots and I know all about construcion of this ones. Don't make me an idiot.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.