Slewmaster - CFA vs. VFA "Rumble"

Spooky IPS QUANDRY

Since there are now counting three different versions of the SPOOKY IPS wouldn't it be nice if we could see three FFT plots of each version to compare them?. I would really like to see the poles especially 3rd, 5th, 7th. Has Pete posted those? I know he is ill and hate to press but has any been posted? These "slew" threads are extensive to search through. Thanks Ray

I don't believe V1.3 or 2.0 ever made it to the prototype stage, they have only been simulated.

V1.3 only has some resistor changes and an added trimmer to allow more adjustment. Since it isn't a radical redesign, it should be stable as-is if someone wanted to try it. If you want to use existing PCBs, I noticed there will be some re-work required. Most notably adding R25, R26, & R29 in the 1.3 schematic.

V2.0 has a different VAS stage, it is an attempt to re-introduce the finicky super pair. Reworking the PCBs to this schematic doesn't look feasible.

I consider V1.2 the best version of the Spooky to build at the current moment. Parasitic capacitance from PCB rework can easily negate any potential benefits.

This thread is massive! Even though I have read through it all in the past, it is easy to lose track of what was and wasn't tested.

Thanks T.

But those are oscillographs and they are a step in the right direction. I guess I'll wait for the spooky 2 to advance to real world bench assembly with real parts and hope someone TESTS them. By test I mean: Phase Angle, Slew Rate, Open Loop bandwidth, Compensated bandwidth with FFT poles out to the 13th and I sure would like to see someone bias the thing into full Class A. Just my 2 cents. Ray

hello guys I got a question, it might be silly but is really important for me, what is the purpose of this two diodes circle by a red circle

Attachments

• diodes purpose.JPG
    diodes purpose.JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 733
hello guys I got a question, it might be silly but is really important for me, what is the purpose of this two diodes circle by a red circle

Hi Vargas, these diodes protect the output devices from possible back emf from the speaker - if some nasty high amplitude pulse is coming (higher than the rails), it gets shorted to the rails through these diodes.

Not really a high probability event, but you know ... if it comes, it's better to be prepared in advance :)

Cheers,
Valery

Hi Vargas, these diodes protect the output devices from possible back emf from the speaker - if some nasty high amplitude pulse is coming (higher than the rails), it gets shorted to the rails through these diodes.

Not really a high probability event, but you know ... if it comes, it's better to be prepared in advance :)

Cheers,
Valery

thanks man I keep forgetting better write that down :p "in Spanish too" lol

Regards
Juan

these protection diodes are very important if there is current limiting or IV protection in the output stage.
The very sudden switch off as the protection is triggered will inject back emf into the output stage.
I also add supply rail to Power Ground diodes on the amp PCB. Thses protect for silly mistakes connecting to PSU.

The 4 diodes work in my amplifiers using 1n400x. These have never failed, yet.

Salutations and apologies - I'm back !

First , I just had cervical (neck)spinal surgery 48 hrs ago.

I did not have ALS/ Parkinson's , but a fixable spinal stenosis.
I thought I was a dead man a week ago. No arms , legs ... falling .
Spinal cord was pinched down to a couple millimeters (yikes)!
Surgery was massively successful.

I would like to apologize to anyone who I presented with a negative attitude.
Especially , my good friends Vzaichenko and J. Wilhelm - to whom I probably
came across as uncaring and disrespectful.

These forum members and others are most likely the kindest and high quality
people I have met in either the virtual or real world. If the whole world was
like this we would have peace.

It's kind of surreal being able to type this easily , being able to feel my digits.
I am VERY happy. Very good to know I do not have a long term degenerative
condition .

I intend to (and look forward) to contribute further as I continue to improve.
I hope I can be forgiven for any negativity I might have conveyed in the last
few months.

Thanks and happy "tinkering"
Peter Vogel (OS). :)

Last edited:
Yaaayyyyy!!!!:):) Welcome back OS, its great to know you're alright now. You dont know how much we missed you. And please, no apologies, only you know what it feels to be staring at a degenerative disease, its us fortunate ones who tend to be insensitive. Just get cracking with those designs :cool:

Hari