Slewmaster - CFA vs. VFA "Rumble"

I like this way ,come on OS make a layout like this.:)

I plan to even do better.

Have to make better component artwork . JK's style is the metric , some
additions (like a zener symbol -below) .....
Had to make all new art for my sprint 5 , sprint 6 was made to force an
upgrade with a few stupid added features.
Upgrade cycle on most software is a "racket" (ripoff). Sprint 6 also likes
to communicate , which I DO NOT like.

OS

Attachments

• sprint components.jpg
    sprint components.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 430
I bought Sprint 6.0 about a month ago but it is harder to get my head wrapped around than I had hoped it would be. There aren't too many good video tutorials around so I have had slow progress trying to learn it. I am keeping at it though as I think it adds quite a lot to the hobby.

There's a bit of a learning curve to any Cad software. Usually after a couple weeks you start to hate it, then after that it becomes easy. The trick is to keep working with it.

JW,
Very true about learning any cad software, it takes time and practice. I still get pissed at my cad software when it just doesn't do what I know how to draw and I have to create a workaround. And I ain't talking about no free software but mega bucks software, what a pain it can be.

Terry,
Keep it up, you are so far ahead of me I wish I could do half of what you are already doing. By the way those boards you sent look really nice.

JW,
Very true about learning any cad software, it takes time and practice. I still get pissed at my cad software when it just doesn't do what I know how to draw and I have to create a workaround. And I ain't talking about no free software but mega bucks software, what a pain it can be.

Terry,
Keep it up, you are so far ahead of me I wish I could do half of what you are already doing. By the way those boards you sent look really nice.

I'm always amazed how much worse cad always works on a laptop. I've destroyed many screens getting frustrated with Corel Draw on a laptop. I've finally trained myself to do some quick sketches on the laptop, then move to a desktop.

JW,
You're not supposed to beat up your screen when Corel pis*es you off! I'm using Solidworks among other cad programs and I still find things that just don't always work the way they are supposed to. I do have thousands of hours on that program and I still haven't used all the function, some I just don't need and others I could shot the guy who came up with the way they work. Once you move beyond working in solid and move into doing surface development the level of knowledge to make things work goes way up, And doing surfaces with great surface reflection quality can be a real art unto itself. For just doing a mechanical drawing of a typical part cad does make things much simpler than the days and weeks I use to have to spend to create 2d drawings by hand for machining.

OS,
If you had to choose one of your input sections for a full range amplifier and weren't worried about driving you sub-woofer do you have a favorite at this point? I'm not sure you have compared them all at this point, but you being the designer I respect your choices.

Only the spook and kypton C for my full range. spook is just a bit "bassier".
Both sound stellar with imaging. Both have given me 2 months of listening
pleasure.
I'm sure all these IPS's are quite above average.

OS

Only the spook and kypton C for my full range. spook is just a bit "bassier".
Both sound stellar with imaging. Both have given me 2 months of listening
pleasure.
I'm sure all these IPS's are quite above average.

OS

Are the spook and krypton C line stage amplifiers?

Can someone please provide links to them? I didn't come up with anything after a quick search on this forum for krypton C.

Another dumb question...what are IPS's?

Thanks...

Ammel,
These are power amplifiers. The inputs are the input sections of the power amplifier. The Krypton-C is one of the many input sections that Ostripper has designed. The concept is a modular power amplifier where you can chose the type of input section you like and chose the number of output devices you want to use depending on the output power you need. I'm not sure if you could use one of these input sections as a line amplifier? It may have to much gain to use as a line amp.

Last edited:
The input section terminology was what was throwing me off, but now I understand that you're referring to the input section of a power amplifier.

Do you know where I can find the schematic or more information on OS's modular design using the Krypton-C input stage?

I don't need a lot of power since I have efficient speakers plus I don't listen to music loudly, so I would like to try one of his lower power designs perhaps with only one or two pair of output transistors.

Are PCB boards or Gerber files available for the Krypton-C input stage and power amp stages?

Ammel,
all the Gerber files are readily available from OS himself or several others. I would have to look through the thread to see how far back the Krypton-C artwork and schematic is. It is all here somewhere in the thread. I have a couple of different output boards, one has only a single pair of output devices and another is the 5 pair design. Others have made two pair boards also I think. Several of the guy's on here have some of these boards and if they still have some may sell them for a reasonable price. The quality of the boards are excellent. You could make your own, many have done that with the Gerber and Sprint files, I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable people will chime in once they see your questions. I don't think you will find better amplifiers than what is going on here.

Are the spook and krypton C line stage amplifiers?

Can someone please provide links to them? I didn't come up with anything after a quick search on this forum for krypton C.

Another dumb question...what are IPS's?

Thanks...

Ammel - this is the 50 -500W diy thread. :D Some of these input stages
could be used as a source for a line stage.
The "pitchfork" (below) .... link -
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/272915-pitchfork-pre-amplifier-6.html

...was originally simulated with a spooky. An IC was chosen because most
line stages are 12-24V powered.
The IC in class A actually beats many of the slewmaster input stages ,
with less gain and current involved.

All art is noted by post # in the first thread post or on my signature link .

OS

Attachments

• pitchfork.jpg
    pitchfork.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 509
Ammel - this is the 50 -500W diy thread. :D Some of these input stages
could be used as a source for a line stage.
The "pitchfork" (below) .... link -
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/272915-pitchfork-pre-amplifier-6.html

...was originally simulated with a spooky. An IC was chosen because most
line stages are 12-24V powered.
The IC in class A actually beats many of the slewmaster input stages ,
with less gain and current involved.

All art is noted by post # in the first thread post or on my signature link .

OS

I'm still interested in the Kapton - C also, so don't feel alone.

1. OS I've got a couple of questions as the KC functions,
that board is the CFA input stage board. IPS?
2. Can I use the KSC1845F/Ksa992F BJTs?
2a. what would other changes I make to use them?

3. There is a standard output driver board
a.Thinking I could use the same KSC145F/KSA992F
b. Try also the Sanyo 22sc2362kg
c. Fairchild MPSA05/MPSA55
d. Toshibs 2sc2240bl2sa970bl.
e then end with the 2n5084 to66.

Okay then for outputs....
us the to66 to3 might as well use the steel case ones.

Okay so is this duable?
What other stuff do I need to consider?
4.then there is a standard output board
why not make the high power one, useing
some of the ON semi steel cased to3 on the heat sinks
somethink just the MJ21194 deiven by a MJE15028/MJE15029s.
This seemns duable and would have some reall good power.

OK I better qqut as my night meds are kicking in. /Anyway
my thoughts are I have to buy parts for th eold McIntosh,,,
they are good parts why not buy them for this project also?

worth while to try?Cheers...

"IJM quitting whilew a head...whooop tea do.

/Note: Sync is frugal, but not cheap. I will buy a lot of good parts and try to use them in many good
projects. My problem come from now, I have a lot of very good HIGH VOLTAGE tube complement
of parts which is great for tube amp....for the board power Transistor/IC sfuff it is way too much.
like putttin a .1uf Teflon 600V cap across a solid state thingy. They just don't need that much.

Then I've got these giant .1uf x 750 VAC signal caps or bypass cap.

Last edited:
Ammel,
all the Gerber files are readily available from OS himself or several others. I would have to look through the thread to see how far back the Krypton-C artwork and schematic is. It is all here somewhere in the thread. I have a couple of different output boards, one has only a single pair of output devices and another is the 5 pair design. Others have made two pair boards also I think. Several of the guy's on here have some of these boards and if they still have some may sell them for a reasonable price. The quality of the boards are excellent. You could make your own, many have done that with the Gerber and Sprint files, I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable people will chime in once they see your questions. I don't think you will find better amplifiers than what is going on here.

Thank you Kindhornman. I think the boards with only a single pair would work well for me. I assume they would be the 50W version that OS refers to above when he stated 50W-500W?
As you stated, perhaps someone with an extra pair that they're willing to sell, will chime in.
That would be faster than making my own.

Sprint files would also be nice since I have Sprint-Layout 6 installed and understand most of its features.

I certainly don't doubt that I'll not find better amplifiers than these. From all the posts I've read from OS, he literally seems like an amplifier genius.

I'm still interested in the Kapton - C also, so don't feel alone.

1. OS I've got a couple of questions as the KC functions,
that board is the CFA input stage board. IPS?
2. Can I use the KSC1845F/Ksa992F BJTs?
2a. what would other changes I make to use them?

3. There is a standard output driver board
a.Thinking I could use the same KSC145F/KSA992F
b. Try also the Sanyo 22sc2362kg
c. Fairchild MPSA05/MPSA55
d. Toshibs 2sc2240bl2sa970bl.
e then end with the 2n5084 to66.

Okay then for outputs....
us the to66 to3 might as well use the steel case ones.

Don't bother with the old TO-3/TO-66 stuff... not fast enough !

You could build and old 70/80's leach amp with to-3's and TIPxx's - sure !
Or find an old Maplin/tigersaurus project.

These modern amps of mine are all CHEAP TO_3p NJW0281/0302 (1.73 and
2.03$ for 10) - right out of texas (Mouser) !!!

The triple works best with fast modern devices.

2240/970 and 992/1845's are 10c parts . Perfect , most slews use these.

I spent 40$ at mouser and built my first amps (badgers) 6 years ago in
a e - waste old receiver case.

You also can use big old decoupling caps for input and other uses. Many
deviations from the basic design will still get perfect operation - that is
how I designed them.

OS