• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Six Year SSE Project Nearing Completion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I installed and wired up the choke and OPT's.

I'll give my eyes and mind a rest and tackle the PT when I'm fresh.

If anyone sees a glaring (or, minor) error, please let me know!

cogitech, I probably won't power up until the weekend, either. I need to hit HomeDepot and buy the parts to make a dim-bulb tester. Like every new hobby, you can spend more on tools and equipment than on the thing you're building.

Thanks.

Attachments

• opt01.jpg
    opt01.jpg
    441.4 KB · Views: 218
  • opt02.jpg
    opt02.jpg
    554.2 KB · Views: 221
OK, well, I shortened the primary leads on the OPT's. I'll test it before messing with the speaker leads.

I found a huge mistake from earlier. I had the choke attached to the wrong terminals!

I wired up the PT. I'm assuming the 6.3V center tap is not used. I tucked it away.

There's clearly an art to chassis layout that can only come from lots of experience - that I don't have. But, I've managed to learn some things for next time.

The day of reckoning for this project is near. I'll spend a couple of days triple checking everything. The funny thing is that it's gotten more and more challenging the closer I've gotten to the end.

Attachments

• wiring-01.jpg
    wiring-01.jpg
    581.3 KB · Views: 190
Thanks potepuh. I removed the zip ties (laces); they were pretty tight. After it's up and running I might just go ahead an shorten the OPT secondary leads like I did with the primary wires.

Thanks sq225917. That platter looks amazing. I actually went back and hit the chassis with a couple more coats of the texture spray after posting the previous pic. I'm happy with it now.

I also wired in a CL-90 on the "L" terminal of the IEC (I was previously told here in this forum to attach it to that point).

I've checked everything for continuity to the chassis: RCA jacks, speaker terminals, volume pot, transformers, and IEC ground pin (the one on the outside that the AC cable connects to). All is good. I wiggled every resistor, capacitor and other parts; all have solid solder joints. Again, everything looks go to go. I just need to make a dim-bulb tester...

Attachments

• cl-90.jpg
    cl-90.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Well, we're looking at the underside of the board! I should have been following George's underside wiring diagrams.

And, another mistake: I could swear I wired the CL-90 to the hot "L" terminal on my IEC; I even used a magnifying glass to make sure. Still, I managed to solder it to the "N" terminal. Like the choke, it was a very easy fix. But, it goes to show that I really need to triple-check my work and go slow.

BTW, I put the amp on a digital scale. It weighs 24.4lbs without the tubes!

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The polarity thing on AC always baffles me, to be honest. I am willing to bet it would have worked perfectly with the CL-90 on the N terminal.

I am saying this so someone jumps in and corrects me with a thorough explanation of why polarity matters in this AC scenario. :)

Thanks mike567. Glad I took the time to move it to the line terminal.

Are you sure you want the RCA jacks and speaker posts to be tied to chassis ground?

Hi Vunce, the jacks and terminals themselves are isolated from the chassis. The RCA jacks are using those plastic washers that fit into the chassis holes. The speaker binding post bodies are plastic. There are no metal parts touching the chassis.
Sorry, what I should have said was that the ground wires that George indicates in his diagrams have good conductive connections to the star ground.

Attachments

• SSE_grounding_1.jpg
    SSE_grounding_1.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 168
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.