SissySIT R.3

Joined 2001
Paid Member
You can swing axe more decisively and connect BA3 preamplifier to the C101, as it has enough swing and juice. This will transform Sisy to fancy F4 cousin or lean output stage.
That's a good point. But I just find some sort of allure with the passive voltage gain of the transformer. Distortion worsens on the bottom end with the transformer but I only use my SissySIT above 80Hz. Currently I'm just really happy with the synergy I'm getting. And the buffer delete just turned the resolution up another click, without any drawbacks IMO.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Finally back to checking out any potential ground loops in my build.

I did find that disconnecting/reconnecting my transformer shield/static wire to the chassis makes no audible difference in the hum level. I would've expected there'd be at least a little bit more hum with this not connected, or is this meant to be only a safety ground?

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Tried the donut in multiple configurations (vertical against plate as well as rotated).
Zero impact on hum level. Same with moving the mains cables to different positions.

So, there must be something going on with either my grounding config or my PSUs. The hum was in both channels pre-monoblocks, and also goes away immediately after powering off -- even tho the caps are still providing juice for a couple seconds afterwards. Maybe I need to revisit the PSUs.

Joined 2001
Paid Member
Does the hum level change with the RCA input shorted? Since we're trying things, move the speaker ground wire from the amplifier pcb to the power supply board instead, like in this picture.

wiring change.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Try taking the star ground off the power supply board. You could put it between the amplifier pcb and power supply board.

This is one of Andrew T's many valuable tips:
"The star should be located to minimise the LOOP AREA of the circuits that circulate current into and out of that star.
This requires the star to be on the PSU to AMP twisted triplet.
When you go to a stereo build you will find it is better to have the star very close to both channel amplifier PCBs.
In a mono block build the star ends up ON the Amp PCB."
Andrew T.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Have you measured ripple at the PS output and do you have efficient loudspeakers?

It looks like you have 33 mF capacitors and calculated output ripple with 33 mF/0.11R/33 mF and 1.8 A load is about 28 mV rms. If I am to believe LTSpice, amplifier has Sissy PSRR of 30 – 35 dB. That would leak 0.5 to 1 mV 120 Hz signal from rails to output, even with grounded input. With 90 dB/1W loudspeakers, 1 mV will produce about 20 dB sound level and that can be heard in conditions you describe.

Lot of assumptions and theory, but it's better to check before tearing apart complete amplifier or using sledge hammer for a corrective action. :D

Edit: Measuring or estimating weather hum is 60 or 120 Hz, gives indication do you deal with EMI from transformer or with PS ripple.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2001
Paid Member
First monoblock shown here just before being buttoned back up, and a shot of the back. Installed tombo's input stage (https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...t-and-similar-amplifiers.382345/#post-6922424) for Cinemag Tx direct drive. Verified correct operation of the IPS at my workplace where I have access to test equipment. Gain was exactly 4x, as expected. Haven't placed back into system yet, but should work great.

Attachments

• IMG_0656.jpg
    IMG_0656.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0657.jpg
    IMG_0657.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Bad luck on this SIT, I guess. I do have some others, but thought these 2 were the best of the bunch.

I went and ordered the 82R resistors, and some pin sockets to make it easier to change this value, if needed some more.
Will I want to swap R115 on the other side, or its ok since we are in the envelope for that SIT already.

I want to have the pin sockets in hand before I take the board off the heatsink, and a beach weekend, so it will be first of next week before I do the swap.
Which pin sockets did you order?

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Oh man... This is promising!

I went ahead and swapped in the SLB PSU and Neurochrome goodies, and from a quick test tonight I could not tell if the amp was on or off when pressing my ear to the woofer.

Now, to find time to work on the second channel. Mono is fun and all, but I don't own any mono records so.. ;)

PXL_20220901_060535761.jpg
PXL_20220901_060513509.jpg