Single Ended Tokin SIT THF-51S Common Drain Mu Follower Amplifier, 45W?

Joined 2012
Paid Member
The right channel is done, it's cooking as I up the current to the target of 3.0A. Testing and listening tomorrow.

The power supply filter board also arrived the other day. From ordering to arrival at my door was 12 days using their cheapest shipping option.

Meanwhile, an assortment of pictures taken at various points of construction:

Attachments

• MuFo Fokin Right Channel board partial stuff.jpg
    MuFo Fokin Right Channel board partial stuff.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 215
  • MuFo Fokin Right Channel board partial stuff2.jpg
    MuFo Fokin Right Channel board partial stuff2.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 204
  • MuFo Fokin Right Channel chassis new PS board.jpg
    MuFo Fokin Right Channel chassis new PS board.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 226
  • MuFo Fokin Right Channel board Current Source test.jpg
    MuFo Fokin Right Channel board Current Source test.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 220
  • MuFo Fokin Right Channel CookingVds 33.2A 2.86A.jpg
    MuFo Fokin Right Channel CookingVds 33.2A 2.86A.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 210
  • MuFo Fokin Right Channel Interior.jpg
    MuFo Fokin Right Channel Interior.jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 203
Reactions: 7 users
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I did some tests. I didn't hook up the oscilloscope so no pictures of the waveform, but at 47W that is probably at the onset of clipping.

I am listening to both channels right now and they sound good. But it sounded good before in its previous iteration. However it was worth the effort as I learned how to do pcbs.

I have decided that I will not do any revisions to the boards as they are functioning as they should. So I will make them available to those that want them. But there will not be a group buy organized by me. After seeing the low prices of pcbs produced by JLCPCB, and considering the cost of Canada Post shipping, I will make the Gerber files available for diyAudio members to buy direct from JLCPCB. So it will be a do-it-yourself buy, and you can share your boards with friends, neighbours, and diyAudio members that live close by, or at least in your country. That will keep costs down. And you will get the boards quicker.

If you would like a copy of the Gerber files, place a request here on this thread.

I will have two complete sets of boards (left channel, right channel, 2 PS boards) and one set of left/right channel boards (no PS boards) available to Canadian diyAudio members (mailed to a Canadian address). First come, first served - please post here on this thread (do not PM me).

Just a note - I have not tested the PS board with capacitors as I already have functioning power supplies, so I did not want to spend the money to purchase some capacitors just for testing the boards. I have checked the footprint dimensions and also checked the electrical paths and they all seem correct.

Attachments

• THF-51S MuFo Fokin PCB Left Channel 2SK79 Pre Vds 33.0V iq 3.0A 8R 47.3W.jpg
    THF-51S MuFo Fokin PCB Left Channel 2SK79 Pre Vds 33.0V iq 3.0A 8R 47.3W.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 75
  • THF-51S MuFo Fokin PCB Left Channel 2SK79 Pre Vds 33.0V iq 3.0A 8R 10W.jpg
    THF-51S MuFo Fokin PCB Left Channel 2SK79 Pre Vds 33.0V iq 3.0A 8R 10W.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 71
  • THF-51S MuFo Fokin PCB Right Channel 2SK79 Pre Vds 33.0V iq 3.0A 8R 50W.jpg
    THF-51S MuFo Fokin PCB Right Channel 2SK79 Pre Vds 33.0V iq 3.0A 8R 50W.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 68
  • THF-51S MuFo Fokin PCB Right Channel 2SK79 Pre Vds 33.0V iq 3.0A 8R 47.4W.jpg
    THF-51S MuFo Fokin PCB Right Channel 2SK79 Pre Vds 33.0V iq 3.0A 8R 47.4W.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 65
  • THF-51S MuFo Fokin PCB Right Channel 2SK79 Pre Vds 33.0V iq 3.0A 8R 10W.jpg
    THF-51S MuFo Fokin PCB Right Channel 2SK79 Pre Vds 33.0V iq 3.0A 8R 10W.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 73
  • THF-51S MuFo Fokin PCB Right Channel ACP+ Vds 33.0V iq 3.0A 8R 1W.jpg
    THF-51S MuFo Fokin PCB Right Channel ACP+ Vds 33.0V iq 3.0A 8R 1W.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 75
  • THF-51S MuFo Fokin PCB Left Channel 2SK79 Pre Vds 33.0V iq 3.0A 8R 50W.jpg
    THF-51S MuFo Fokin PCB Left Channel 2SK79 Pre Vds 33.0V iq 3.0A 8R 50W.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 74
Reactions: 2 users
Ben Mah - I’d like to take you up on your offer for one set of complete boards if they’re still available. I’m in Barbados but my partner’s kids are in Mississauga sand are coming home for Christmas so they could collect the boards if you’re relatively close to Mississauga. Also happy to reimburse you via Interact for mailing and cost of boards. I have two sets of 180’s - one for me and one for a friend.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks everyone for your interest. Gerbers have been sent.

Tomorrow I will post a parts list, include the actual parts that I bought for my boards.

I will draw up a schematic of my power supply too, and write up some tips for building the amp.

It's been mentioned before but I will mention again that each channel dissipates nearly 200 Watts, so lots of heat sinking or forced air cooling is needed. There is no replacement for displacement if you want a lot of Class A Watts. :)

Reactions: 1 users