Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Good eye !
That is a ZX-9, which I refurbished a few months ago ... you may have seen a picture of it in the recent Cassette thread.

Attachments

• 2022-09-11 11.22.51.jpg
    2022-09-11 11.22.51.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 98
BTW, Regarding the Ethos / ART9XA, I have a Sowter 9570 1:10 step-up. It is perfect for the Ethos but might be a bit low for the ART9XA. If I were to go with the latter, I was thinking of setting the FSP to the HiMC mode at 43dB for a total for 63dB.

Is your preference using a SUT or just more gain on the FSP?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
SUT to HMC mode offers high source impedance to the 2SK369s performing best for noise. Something paricularly helpful for such a low output cart as the ART9XA. Nonetheless straight LMC mode is just a few switch positions setting affair in the UFSP to compare the two strategies. Skipping the extra interconnect run and a magnetic transformation component in between. You win some you lose some. SNR vs closer to the cart. Since you got the SUT already there's no investment risk, just to compare and decide in the context of your own system and taste. When carefully auditioning don't forget to compensate on the volume pot for the two dB weaker LMC gain. That's between same one cart. For same mode and method there will always be almost double the phono output signal from the Ethos vs ART.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Was just listening to this one. Well locked imaging, hefty body of sound, depth perspective, very low surface noise. DV 500 table (Well Tempered) DV 507MK2 arm DV Te Kaitora Rua MC cartridge.

Attachments

• IMG20221126194036.jpg
    IMG20221126194036.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG20221126194055.jpg
    IMG20221126194055.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG20221126194157.jpg
    IMG20221126194157.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 149
Reactions: 1 user
Was just listening to this one. Well locked imaging, hefty body of sound, depth perspective, very low surface noise. DV 500 table (Well Tempered) DV 507MK2 arm DV Te Kaitora Rua MC cartridge.
Indeed the deck is very good.vinyl sounds more like a master tape.the ufsp is a great partner,and because I listened the deck with the audio note kondo Japan phono preamp also,I can tell that ufsp is upper level.congratulations Mr Salas!

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I have been thinking about getting a DS 003 optical cartridge. It has a 70mV output. The cartridge has really good write ups and is neutral which I like. Is the FSP adaptable to that output. I love my system sound. SP10, EPA tonearm, AT PTG33/2 cartridge, FSP, DCG3, M2x Monoblocks with Norwood and Monkey Tower Speakers. I would very much like to change the cartridge only.
Thanks,

Don

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The optical cartridge needs it's own dedicated phonostage. Any 'normal' phonostage is incompatible.

The DS optical cart and the DS compatible phonostage is $6k for the set. That money could buy a LOT of experimenting with other cartridges, even expensive ones...

Reactions: 1 users

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Although I've never had one of my own before, I've had a hand in building two FSP and hearing them in my system...

This phonostage stands shoulder to shoulder with anything I've ever heard, and significantly better than most. It's genuinely special, if you are thinking of building one, do it as fast as you can, you won't be disappointed, in fact you'll be amazed, and you'll have a measuring stick to judge all other RIAA against.

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Although I've never had one of my own before, I've had a hand in building two FSP and hearing them in my system...

This phonostage stands shoulder to shoulder with anything I've ever heard, and significantly better than most. It's genuinely special, if you are thinking of building one, do it as fast as you can, you won't be disappointed, in fact you'll be amazed, and you'll have a measuring stick to judge all other RIAA against.
:):):)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Jim:

I've had one for about 2 years now -- it replaced a Pearl / Ono phono stage -- but I haven't had the opportunity to compare it to anything else. There is no doubt in my mind that the UFSP is superior to the Pearl/Ono combination but, as I recall, you have a collection of phonos stages. So once you're done with your build and have broken your UFSP in, I'd love to hear your impressions of it in contrast to whatever else you have on hand.

Regards.