Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2006
Paid Member
:santa2::xmastree::xmasman::deerman: Merry Christmas to all from Portugal

PS

After serious listening, I can report that using 4 wire shunt provides gain in tighteness and control all over the spectrum.

The tone is very similar but I can diferentiate the attack edge and decai much better (I have two similar riaa, one with and one without the 4 wire shunts).

Ricardo

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I believe I am addicted to modding so I can not stop (even during Christmas :)) so here is the last part:

Having perfected the DL160 riaa, it became better than the initial one (Benz riaa).

The main differences consist in the psu.

Benz riaa (the one I will be talking about) has only one TX winding feeding 30v to two paralleled sets of rectifiers followed by smoothers.

From the begginning I had big hum issues using this configuration, so I played around with TX placement and GND configurations but could never get the quietness of the DL160 riaa that uses 1 winding per channel in a dual mono configuration.

Today I decided to place a resistor between the rectifier bridge and the smoothing cap (in both channels) in order to get a RC filter and guess what: Noise almost disappeared to the point where TX placement seems irrelevant now. :):):)

There is a lot more low level information apparent just because of this reduction in the noise floor.

Now I still have an unsolved problem:

Before the mod, the psu produced 40V raw dc to the 28v shunts and this seemed to help in the "sound spatiality" domain.

Now I have only 34v raw dc feeding the 28v shunts....

I do not know if it is detrimental as I read that the minimum slack should be about 8v ?!

I will keep listening so I can get report better after it all settles.

PS
I am using 10r ... should I use 5 r instead....

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
6V I would advise as minimum Vin-Vout. This large change in buzz residual, rather shows that rectification gremlins looped somewhere in your build, and now that you smoothed the charging angle they lost their edge, but they do loop if there. Didn't you lose something subjectively on the other hand by dropping Vin in half?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
The resistors are working at 90ºC... it seems excessive.... Sound is comming together now.... quite good... bass is comming back with better detail...

Just experimented with 5r (using a shunt and another 10r //).... noise reduction is not so potent.

Maybe I should consider replacing this TX by two r-core so I get true double mono and avoid this gremlins that I am sure are looping inside the TX (because of the common winding used by both channels).

Last edited:
My R-Core order jumped from 36Euro listed to 71 with tax, expensive shipping, and bank arrangement! :eek: So, better two toroids in a separate box.

71 € :eek: Are you kidding?
I know Selectronic charge a lot for shipping outside France, but what kind of tax did they charge within EU? Also bank transfer within EU cannot be more expensive (by law) than a domestic bank transfer from, let's say, Alpha in Athens and National Bank in Pireaus.
My bank charge only 0.65 € within EU.

8.80 € is a rip off! OK, my 65 cents is very cheap, but 2 - 3 € is almost std here (on line banking).
They probably add VAT to shipping as 36 € is "T.T.C." or VAT included, but 10.16€ referred to 26 € is nearly 40%: too much. I never heard of 40% VAT.

We need a friend in France ;) Free shippimg over 150 €

Or we can take a LC flight to Paris if we need two or three R-Core

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
''Port Et Emballage'' 26E ''Montant T.V.A'' 10.16E EFG Eurobank charged 8.8E for clearing it when I did everything on my personal e-banking! +36E list price = 70.8 Euro.:D

Greek banks closed this international crisis year in very healthy profits btw.;)

Is not only to Greek, to Spain will did the same:mad:

There is few better diferences between Toroids & R-Cores when mounted in the same box, IMHO isn't neccesary to pay the difference between both TX.;)