Simple DSD modulator for DSC2

Use oemtool 1.17, you can download it from Amanero site.

Attachments

• amanero_pcm_swap.jpg
    amanero_pcm_swap.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 73
Go then to the "Configuration bits" tab and check "PCM Channels swap" box. For all the modifications you make here, there is no need do reinstall your favorite firmware, but only to press "Write Flash". It will take less then a second.

Attachments

• amanero_config_bits.png
    amanero_config_bits.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Go then to the "Configuration bits" tab and check "PCM Channels swap" box. For all the modifications you make here, there is no need do reinstall your favorite firmware, but only to press "Write Flash". It will take less then a second.
Doesn't works, are you sure that don't need to erase the flash & re-install again?

Attachments

• pcm swap 3.png
    pcm swap 3.png
    115.7 KB · Views: 53
  • pcm swap 2.png
    pcm swap 2.png
    74.8 KB · Views: 54
  • pcm swap 1.png
    pcm swap 1.png
    73.7 KB · Views: 50
It should work, but maybe your board is different. As I can see, it has an oemid = "nativedsd", which is different than my board "combo384".
Even if you reinstall the firmware, you still have to modify "Configuration Bits" pressing Write Flash.
In this case, I would reccomend you to re-flash your firmware using DSDSWAP version for CPLD, so it will bring DSD channels in phase with PCM ones, and after that you can swap the wires inside - or outside - your DAC.

Attachments

• amanero_dsd_swap.jpg
    amanero_dsd_swap.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 43
Joined 2009
Paid Member
It should work, but maybe your board is different. As I can see, it has an oemid = "nativedsd", which is different than my board "combo384".
Even if you reinstall the firmware, you still have to modify "Configuration Bits" pressing Write Flash.
In this case, I would reccomend you to re-flash your firmware using DSDSWAP version for CPLD, so it will bring DSD channels in phase with PCM ones, and after that you can swap the wires inside - or outside - your DAC.
Thanks Thorp

Just received advice from Dom (Amanero). "swappare i canali dsd usa cpld slave 1081 dsdswapped"
Doing that would swap DSD channels only if DSD was sent from your PC, such as if you were using HQ Player to software convert PCM to DSD.

Thorp was correct in advising you to swap PCM channels since in this case PCM will be converted to DSD by Simple DSD Modulator only after passing through Amanero as PCM. Does that make sense?

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
No, Dom (Amanero) is right, I'm just listening PCM converted to DSD with the Simple DSD Modulator and LPF and now the channels are OK. For sure Amanero doesn't convert pcm to dsd.....

I'm using Daphile without PCM to DSD converter

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221202-225929.png
    Screenshot_20221202-225929.png
    173.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
So, I assembled one side of the board this afternoon. I've bought myself a cheap USB microscope from Amazon, which made applying the solder paste and placing the components much easier and more precise. Soldering was done with a hot-air workstation. Apart from missing C18 I'm pretty pleased so far. I need to check carefully for solder bridges before I flip it over and work on the other side. BTW, I'm waiting for the AMS1117 but I can hand solder that when I do the other side.

CKMitme.jpg

Well, finally have some preliminary results to report on Simple DSD Converter. Rigged mine up to work with I2SoverUSB so that there is galvanic isolation from USB. Also driving I2SoverUSB from external clocks that I like better than the built-in clocks. The output of the DSD Converter is reclocked before being sent to a custom AK4499 DAC.

Previously the dac obtained upsampled conversion to DSD256 using a very carefully tweaked pair of AK4137 chips. My AK4137 implementation is a bit more technically involved and expensive to build than the DSD'it AK4137 DSD converter forum project (so I would not expect them to sound exactly the same, just sayin' ).

First listening impression using Simple DSD converter was with xx3stksm's 2nd version of his 5th order modulator. To me, the sound was 'soft' in a way that some people have described not liking about DSD reproduction they have heard before. Again to me, I liked the 5th order DSD Converter modulator sound less than that of my AK4137 implementation, which was more dynamic, had plenty of punch, and clear low level delineation between instruments.

Today have ollo's 7th order modulator running, and I have to say that its very similar in SQ to what it possible using AK4137 along with somewhat more complicated circuitry than is needed to use Simple DSD Converter. In other words, ollo modulator overcomes that 'soft' DSD sound some people may not prefer, and it does it pretty simply in terms of hardware. However IME, soft as versus tight and dynamic, can also be very much affected by Vref regulator design. So, it appears that particular subjective SQ effect is not simply a function of one variable.

Hope to do some more tests comparing software based DSD conversion and also PCM playback. Will see if I can spoof Simple DSD converter into passing PCM by asserting DSD_ON when its really PCM data format.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users