Silver RCA Cable-share your experience, opinions here!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Clearly you don't have kids..:D

I was king until they were teenagers..then humble pie made with fresh crow was a consistent diet until they were in their 20's..then I became smart again.

jn

Hahahaha! I have two teenagers now- My girl, oldest, is 15 and I know what you mean. My boy, just turned 13 and I can still (barely) beat him in wrestling, so I have his respect... for now! :D

I have had convo's with each of them that included the phrase, "You know what... that's pretty dang smart. Ok, just forget what I said- let's go with your idea." :eek:

Last edited:
I remember my dad had this habit of starting sentences with: "I don't know whether you know...." He used it with everyone...more often than not people's eyes involuntarily glazed over, that's if they didn't just immediately walk away, you could always tell the more experienced ones....

Clearly you don't have kids..:D

I was king until they were teenagers..then humble pie made with fresh crow was a consistent diet until they were in their 20's..then I became smart again.

jn

“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to 21 I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.” (Mark Twain)

My dad and I still battle when he too confidently wanders into my domain of expertise and I have to correct him. He doesn't do well with being wrong much less dead wrong.Doesn't help we're both know it all types. (I clearly don't have kids)

Of course there's huge swaths of his expertise that I don't even know I don't know.

Last edited:
Jakob2 said:
I guess you´ve seen Galu´s post that i´ve cited. I´m not sure, but do you think he realized that there could be justification for the directionality (arrow) and that it would be a good idea, to use the shield connect to ground at the preamplifier input? (in case of an ordinary ungrounded phono system)
He probably knew that. Which end to ground a shield depends on application details. The main point is that such a situation is not what most people mean by 'directional cables' although it may be that some cable vendors deliberately (or ignorantly?) conflate this with cables which claim to have had their copper drawn in a particular direction (or whatever) in order to spread confusion. Ensuring that a real phenomenon and an imaginary phenomenon have the same name is a good way to make it harder to argue against the imaginary phenomenon; when you try to point out the difference peoples' eyes just glaze over and you get accused of peddling 'conventional engineering'.

@Galu,

thanks for the note.

@DF96,

He probably knew that. Which end to ground a shield depends on application details. The main point is that such a situation is not what most people mean by 'directional cables' although it may be that some cable vendors deliberately (or ignorantly?) conflate this with cables which claim to have had their copper drawn in a particular direction (or whatever) in order to spread confusion.

I don´t know either. Maybe it is deliberately, maybe it was randomly happening or it might even been the STP case (shield connected only at one end) where people noticed it and - as it happens imo quite often - the directionality issue suddenly took on a life of its own; people were noticing the arrows asking which way to connect, another answered but forgot to explain or even didn´t know about the physical reason and voila a new child was born.

Ensuring that a real phenomenon and an imaginary phenomenon have the same name is a good way to make it harder to argue against the imaginary phenomenon; when you try to point out the difference peoples' eyes just glaze over and you get accused of peddling 'conventional engineering'.

Isn´t the other way even more damaging? If you don´t mention the case where directionality might have a justification then people tend to think it was neglected on purpose or due to non-knowledge which makes it imo even harder to argue in other cases.

A mains cable with connectors is usually directional, in the sense that it can't be physically connected the wrong way round. This, of course, proves that cables can be directional - in this case for safety reasons.

A piece of mains cable without connectors should not be directional, but I expect someone somewhere is adding arrows and increasing the price accordingly.

@DF96,

I don´t know either. Maybe it is deliberately, maybe it was randomly happening or it might even been the STP case (shield connected only at one end) where people noticed it and - as it happens imo quite often - the directionality issue suddenly took on a life of its own; people were noticing the arrows asking which way to connect, another answered but forgot to explain or even didn´t know about the physical reason and voila a new child was born.

Isn´t the other way even more damaging? If you don´t mention the case where directionality might have a justification then people tend to think it was neglected on purpose or due to non-knowledge which makes it imo even harder to argue in other cases.
Quoted with accentuation for future reference.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
BTW, several encoder vendors have specific shielding requirements for their long encoder runs. It is a double shield technique, coaxial shields.
Interesting. I use Triax cable almost every day in my work. It has long been the standard way to connect a video camera to its control unit (CCU). It's a two way signal flow and includes power for the camera. I think that both shields are connected at both ends. Normally the camera isn't grounded to anything else, much like a microphone, so it becomes the end of the cable.

Nice to know that triaxial cables have other uses.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A mains cable with connectors is usually directional, in the sense that it can't be physically connected the wrong way round.
Ditto XLR cables and video camera triax. Very frustrating to run a few hundred feet across a venue only to find it's the wrong direction. That why they make turnarounds.

BNC and Ethernet cables don't have that problem, bless them. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.