Signalyst DSC1

Who did order differential kit from ebay ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272342961175?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&clk_rvr_id=1083967641635&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Please share how its sound.
How about SMD, Surface Mount Device that seller soldered for us? And how about component quality
BK

To the best of my knowledge nobody has built/listened to this kit yet - I have one on order.

The seller doesn't appear to sell assembled boards so it'll be down to you, but this is DIY Audio! I've taught myself to solder small SMD parts and, with my aging eyesight and hand coordination, if I can do it anyone should be able to.

I generally replace the parts supplied with these kits with parts from a local reputable supplier. I think the supplied parts will be OK but with the stories about fakes I take the view that it's best to safe. Better tolerance resistors for the filter should be of benefit too.

To the best of my knowledge nobody has built/listened to this kit yet - I have one on order.

The seller doesn't appear to sell assembled boards so it'll be down to you, but this is DIY Audio! I've taught myself to solder small SMD parts and, with my aging eyesight and hand coordination, if I can do it anyone should be able to.

I generally replace the parts supplied with these kits with parts from a local reputable supplier. I think the supplied parts will be OK but with the stories about fakes I take the view that it's best to safe. Better tolerance resistors for the filter should be of benefit too.

Thank you I will do per you recommended.

I have one on order as well. These kits are board only afaik.

Well, I had had to hammer out the original BOM from Jussi's documents, and it took me hours to understand and order. I was very pleased when I saw that the parts were in there. It appears to be complete sans a couple of inductors.
That's what I expected following my purchase of the original version DSC1 from this seller. I'm still waiting for my differential kit to arrive.

differential DSC1

I just ordered the differential DSC1 kit from China. The price is amazing. I like the idea of replacing a 7th-order filter with a transformer. I plan to use 0.1% Susumu RG SMD resistors instead of the ones supplied in the kit.

I built and modded the DDDAC NOS PCM1794 DAC which sounds great with the Cinemag transformers and no other filters. The eBay site says not to even ask for a schematic for the differential DSC1 kit. If no drawing becomes available, I plan to draw up the circuit after I get my kit and put it in the forum.

Not yet mine is not build.

I like the idea of replacing a 7th-order filter with a transformer.
Are you sure, filter is replacing by a transformer?

I plan to use 0.1% Susumu RG SMD resistors instead of the ones supplied in the kit.
I plan to use Kiwame resistors. 1% tolerance.

I plan to replace AD844 by LME 49710 + Sowter 3575 transformer.

Are you sure, filter is replacing by a transformer?

I studied the pictures of the differential DSC1 on eBay as closely as I could. There are twice as many bit-shift IC's and resistors as the original DSC1 and very few components by the transformer and none that resemble the filter stages of the original Chinese DSC1.

By inverting the bit stream to the second set of bit-shift IC's an equal and opposite signal is created which may cancel out some of the potential distortion transients created by a 32-bit averaging filter. The pairs of opposite average signals are fed to the differential leads of the transformer.

Earlier in this thread someone reported an improvement by changing from 1% to .05% resistors. There are scope displays showing the improvement.

I studied the pictures of the differential DSC1 on eBay as closely as I could. There are twice as many bit-shift IC's and resistors as the original DSC1 and very few components by the transformer and none that resemble the filter stages of the original Chinese DSC1.

By inverting the bit stream to the second set of bit-shift IC's an equal and opposite signal is created which may cancel out some of the potential distortion transients created by a 32-bit averaging filter. The pairs of opposite average signals are fed to the differential leads of the transformer.

Earlier in this thread someone reported an improvement by changing from 1% to .05% resistors. There are scope displays showing the improvement.

I'm still awaiting for my differential kit to be delivered, it's now about 10days longer than the delivery of the standard SE kit took from the same seller - fingers crossed!

I have also looked at the images and I wonder if there is a first order LP filter before the transformers - there are smd resistors and a plastic film cap located just in front of the transformers on the PCB? Anyway, that's just conjecture but I'll try to derive a schematic once the kit arrives.

Ray

So - nobody had a listening yet? :)

I heard the sound. It's nice overall, but with some recordings I noticed modulated noise, depending on low level audio details. This exact file plays without problems with PCM1795 (dual chip implementation) DAC.
As Mac user, I can use only DSD64 and DSD128 files, there is no difference - both files are affected.
Only thing what is not done yet, R1/R2 are 500 ohms, not 1k as Jussi proposed, all other mods are done.

Player was Audirvana and Tascam DSD Editor (Editor can play native files or convert PCM in realtime playback). And Tascam Da-3000 DSD Recorder with pair of PCM1795 for reference.
I don't make hard conclusions yet, my friend is finishing his version, and with X-Mos USB interface, not with Amanero as mine is.
I also know that Jussi prefer upsampling to DSD512 with his HQP software and maybe DSD64/128 is not sweetpot his design (DSD64 at least).

Last edited: