Signalyst DSC1

I should use it with a i3 NUC using Daphile. By the way, how does the DSC go with Daphile? I would use it to obtain the DSD streaming...

Gaetano.
Yes i am using Daphile for playback.
The conversion to DSD will be done by Daphile and sounds good. I use a original Amanero for the USB input, the Xing U30 will do that even better.
Here you can find the correct settings for Daphile
http://www.audiodesignguide.com/DSC1/index.html
I was running Daphile on an old 2007 Mac Mini what works well for PCM. for the conversion to DSD it is limited to 64.
The i7 7th gen dose that better job and is able to convert to DSD 512. Depending of the i3 if that will run the 512 conversion.
Make sure you use Daphile with dynamic processor settings.
I also use HQ Player embedded combined with LMS.
Using the DLNA you can feed HQP with PCM and let the conversion be done by HQP.
In that option i use the Beagle Bone as input for the Pure DSD dac.
That sounds even better than the Daphile only option.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks a lot! Is L1 not needed, even if you feed the board straight from the streamer? Is the ground plane the reverse side of the board? How can I find a suitable spot to connect ground?

Gaetano.
The board contains a 0 ohm resistor on that spot so apparently no inductor needed.

Ground plane is reverse side yes. You could scratch or connect to the ground of a capacitor. E.g. the yellow one on my picture of the previous page.

...may I use a thick film 0805 0ohm resistor to jumper JP5 and JP6 in DSC 2.6.2? Should I consider any power rating?
Don't have a schematic in front of me. However, if its in the audio path then I would probably use thin film. If its for digital logic the thick film should be okay. Since its nominally zero ohms, power rating shouldn't make much difference in a dac.

Not a bad idea but it will make no difference because the onboard LDO regulators will be the limiting factor.
If you want to do this: https://m.nl.aliexpress.com/item/10...07fb4c14981842082dd6ff644f7&afSmartRedirect=y
Yes but if the good one is as a preregulator your linear post regulators going to get a lot of PSRR!

IIRC the LT304x datasheets point out that performance is quite dependent on PCB layout. That board doesn’t look like following on those recommendations?
I agree!

I am very content with how the DSD'it sounds but I have a problem when feeding DSD from HQPlayer. PCM from HQPlayer works perfect. But with DSD I get a very strong, audible noise floor. I will have to dig into this further. Maybe one of you can help. The DSD'it board 5V is coming from the Beaglebone power supply.

This problem it not new. Someone else is experiencing the exact same thing, but then not in combination with Xing U30 but with Beaglebone. See this post: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/simple-dsd-src-for-beaglebone.358147/post-7345755
I solved the noise problem by giving the master clock some extra delay. The U7 74LVC157 Mux had a spare 3rd channel with inputs connected to ground. I removed the connection to ground and connected the master clock coming from the DAC to it. Master clock signal is taken from Jumper 1. The output of the Mux channel is routed back to Jumper 1. Normally the used Jumper 1 pads were connected directly. Now through the mux.
bottom_mod.png

Now the DSD'it also works flawlessly with DSD input coming from HQPlayer. Direct comparison between the AKM4137 modulator and HQPlayer modulator is easy now. And yes, with recordings were it really matters (such as good classical recordings), HQPlayer is better with a rather large margin. But with mainstream stuff, DSD'it modulator is already doing a very good job. But in direct comparison, a bit rough, less smooth and resolving, a bit further away from how instruments really sound. HQPlayer is still worth it when you do not need the ease of DSD'it which enables any USB streamer source.

Reactions: 1 users