Signalyst DSC1

Resistors type are not crucial in this case, temperature stability is more crucial, for example NOMCA have temperature coeficient +-25ppm/C which is not that very good for a dac of shunt type, there is much cheaper resistors with +-10ppm/C for example PTFR from Resistor Today. And also regulator must be of utra low voltage drift for better dac result, for example LT3042 is a good option for this dac type.

Last edited:
But to get a good sound you need temperature stable resistors, if they are temperature-coupled, even better, and a voltage stable regulator . In my opinion the most crucial on whole design is a i/v stage, in our case the sound most depend of good quality audio transformer. Also the head of the story around that can be wiring! They have to be RF connectors with a shielded cable for even better result, a better result for both the dac and the environment! Generaly DSC sound very good, very realistic sound, I will single out excellent dynamics. I'm fan of dsc, like it, I can reccomend this one with huge dynamic, no audio transformers, no opamps, just D to A conversion at LC+speker! : )

Last edited:
Pavel, or someone else, I am busy with the DSD'it Amanero version and I need help.
I am trying to program the ATTiny85 but Arduino gives back an error in compilation of the sketch file 'Scetch_for_ATtiny85.ino' that Pavel provided.
I've verified that the ATTiny works correctly, I can succesfully upload a simple LED blinking test program on the sparksun Tiny AVR programmer board with the ATTiny85 on it and the LED blinks nicely.

Well, thank you all very much for your help!!!

In the meantime, I was able to fix it. I discovered that with the standard Arduino software the Wire instructions did not work with the USBtinyISP programmer as provided in the online manual for the Sparkfun Tiny AVR programmer board.
You have to install an extra boards manager named ATTinyCore: https://github.com/SpenceKonde/ATTi...-head-submit-PRs-against-this/Installation.md
After installing and selecting the ATTinyCore board under tools and selecting a new programmer USBtinyISP (ATTinyCore) FAST, for parts running =>2 Mhz, the compilation and uploading went like a breeze.

Last edited:
Oké i will put the bom here with the mouser parts.
Tot update the ibom is not funny in kicad.
I have the iBOM updated with the parts, whare Mouser parts are available i have used the MN (Mouser partNumber).
Also all links have been updated from the global mouser site including the datasheets.
The transformers have the link where to purchase them.
I can recommend the AT1 transformers, They do a verry good job.

I have not selected on the availability, the items in the ibom ware available when we ordered the items.
As you know that can change, finding an replacement part is your own reasonability.

It was taking a bit longer as planed, my work was taking me to Greece the past week so i was not able to work on the Pure dac.

Attachments

• ibom Pure DSD dac DSC3 rev2.zip
    413.6 KB · Views: 119
Hi Jeroen, I have not forgotten the heatsink, it is in the iBom.
Only the URL is not there. That has to do with how the iBom works.
The information of the components is stored in the schematic. Since the heatsink is an item that is living on the PCB only i do not have the same fields available like i have in the other components. instead i have changed the part number that will bring you to the correct part.

Also the extra items are missing in the iBom like the stand offs.
i have listed them here under.

Mouser-nrMF-nrMFDescription (in Dutch)QTY
534-2550925509Keystone ElectronicsAfstandhouders & tussenstukken 5.0 HEX 8.0mm NYLON
6​
534-2551125511Keystone ElectronicsAfstandhouders & tussenstukken 5.0 HEX 12.0mm NYLON
3​
534-2551025510Keystone ElectronicsAfstandhouders & tussenstukken 5.0 HEX 10.0mm NYLON
4​
649-68683-310LF68683-310LFAmphenolHeaders & Wire Housings RECEPTACLE 20P
1​
649-77313-101-20LF77313-101-20LFAmphenolHeaders & Wire Housings 20P STR DR TMT HDR .76 AU .425IN LENGTH
1​

Also i have the complete project here for those that like to continue where we have stopped.
I have to split the files in to separate ZIP's just copy the BGG files in the 3D folder and the 3d folder in the project folder.

Have fun Building the DAC!

Attachments

• Pure DSD dac DSC3 Kicad Project Files.zip
    8.6 MB · Views: 149
  • packages3D.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 116
  • BBG_04.zip
    5.9 MB · Views: 132
Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 3 users
The DSD'it works! And sounds surprisingly good! I expected a bigger difference with HQPlayer. It is there of course but this little board sounds very nice so I can imagine that Pavel himself also plays with this a lot for convenience. Pavel, thanks a lot for this design!

DSD'it werkt!.jpg

It does its job nicely under the Xing U30.

Xing U30 + DSD'it.jpg