SEWA - Seven Watt Amplifier

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Welborne has a Borbely inspired hybrid line module with ECC86, and they say ECC88 works fine at these low voltage

I would like to combine SEWA with Aikido, but I guess it will be expencive with regulated supply and all

Broskie(TCJ) has shown a similar design, but I like SEWA better, maybe because Mads has learned from NelsonPass

Another one:xeye: for Planet10 to judge if he wants of course..:)

Attachments

• sewa-ecc86-ccs.gif
    sewa-ecc86-ccs.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,052
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: tube guys

SCD said:
I am pleased that Planet10 is followiong this thread and I hope he stays with our little discussion. he has a lot of knowlege to offer regarding tuber stuff.

I'm still a tube neophyte... i have a good broad handle on the generalities, but i still need to reference the books for the detail.... hopefully Gregg will check in -- he is helping on this project and he is good with the detail -- he toob-fied my tuner.

dave

Re: Re: tube guys

planet10 said:

I'm still a tube neophyte... i have a good broad handle on the generalities, but i still need to reference the books for the detail.... hopefully Gregg will check in -- he is helping on this project and he is good with the detail -- he toob-fied my tuner.

dave

* hears a shout to come play in the "sandbox" *

Good day gents! :)

I have been given some idea of what the need is here.

Yes, the MOSFETS need a little more current than the CCS or perhaps resistor loaded tube can handle? ECC88 is a good choice, since it likes current at low voltages. Must do some listening tests.

We want some reserve with some gain. I'll be cooking up some single tube circuits as well as a totem variety or two and post the results in here.

@ Ryssen - coupling cap?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: tube guys

Geek said:

* hears a shout to come play in the "sandbox" *

Good day gents! :)

I have been given some idea of what the need is here.

Yes, the MOSFETS need a little more current than the CCS or perhaps resistor loaded tube can handle? ECC88 is a good choice, since it likes current at low voltages. Must do some listening tests.

We want some reserve with some gain. I'll be cooking up some single tube circuits as well as a totem variety or two and post the results in here.

@ Ryssen - coupling cap?

yo,mate ;)
5mA through driver stage is enough for this Mistfet application (don't ask me how I know that ;) )

speed is important,so I'll not try to torture 88 with sissy voltage;

been there.......

and-one eeny weeny additional xformer can't be xpensive :devilr:

If you're going 6mA, you've opened up more options - trioded 6EJ7 for example. Gain the same as ECC88 and just as linear, if not more and easier to get :)

Should I use one? Thougt I get by without if I used the same voltage as the gate.How much current is nedded?Maybee squeze a little bit more out of Ecc86?

Sorry, I didn't realize at the time ECC86 was a space-charge tube. I thought 30V was a typo ;)

The folks have mentioned 5mA is adequate for driving those plastic tubes, but the ECC86 specs show 0.9 mA as the average goings. Might fall flat without a CF or something.

but the ECC86 specs show 0.9 mA as the average goings. Might fall flat without a CF or something.
If i run the ECC86 at 15,5v/5mA will it work to drive the mosfets?That´s 0,08w the limit is 0,6w.And can I paralell the halves of one ECC86 to get 10mA?If this does not work and I use ECC86 as a voltamp and add a CF what tube should that be ECC88?I´d like not to have a to high volt as I have done a box for the amp with to 9 pin sockets not to much room for an extra trafo.Many clues,Geek give me hint..;)

Ryssen said:

If i run the ECC86 at 15,5v/5mA will it work to drive the mosfets?

If you can get it that high at that V, great! Let us know :)
(I've had many ask about this and I couldn't answer them)

If this does not work and I use ECC86 as a voltamp and add a CF what tube should that be ECC88?

I experimented with many tubes as LV CF's and was disappointed. But I did not try an ECC88, so I say try it.

Miles Prower has had success with another MOSFET as the follower (OK, I said CF... whazza fet-follower called?) to drive a power stage. That way you could keep your DC coupling :)