• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

SDA-400 Professional multi-way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't need the Remote control on/off but I would really appreciate to connect a fan on this switch. You mean that I need to modify something on the smps right?

If you could tell me what I have to do it would be great Roberto :)

Alexandre
I think it is right to add this modification in the scheme, it is also for others can be of help. I put tomorrow.

Only 2 steps: WARNING! Connection under high voltage,NOT ISO
1-Remove the white long jumper at bottom of smps. (and save...becouse is not simple jumper)
2-Change in 1206 R 4.7 R "R1" behind the 2-CN FAN :)
Max current is 120mA, this voltage switch on,after the sartup time.
Also,The fan does not produce any noise when connected to this CN.

Last edited:
Hello,

I tried to figure out how to configure 2 amps with quad channels each, in 2U x 300mmx 435 with 2 heatsinks.
one amp with 2 DPS and 4 SPS would give that, with the power filter socket and the conector at the rear:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

one amp with 2 DPS and 4 VSSA would be that:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

by the way I realized that the DPS-400 DOESNT fit in 1U , the Rubicon cap and the bridge rectifier are two high

Also I m thinking to put a steel panel in U between the VSSA and the DPS to isolate them from some radiations...

any feedbacks welcome
cheers

Hello Fabrice, This is the best arrangement of the modules inside a case, is not the only course, but I have considered many factors.
the "L" alluminum you can easily find in the city, from small artisans aluminum is widely used. normally at around € 3 x1mt

If you need to use small spacers x DPS-400 (instead of 7mm), I recommend adding a sheet of mylar or other insulating material, under the DPS-400.
the same can be used under the SDA-400 (right below the voltage regulators).

For SDA-400, Also you can see the arrangement as the 4CH, the pictures that I put in the thread.
I remind everyone that the SDA-400 Heatsink, do not need even to use as party..:)

Thank for nice photos shared..:up:

Attachments

• DPS-400-Vssa.png
    DPS-400-Vssa.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 187
Perfect Roberto thank you!

yes I m going to use the L aluminium, just to feel better :)

yes you are right, some milar spacer will provide some dielectric and better security.

I have some more question:

you mention on a previous diagram that if we use "unbalance", then we should isolate the DPS from the chassis by using 3 plastic spacer (7mm) instead of the steel one. I can understand that, in fact you want to avoid noise due to "ground loops" trough the chassis, right ?

Another question about the remote control.
if we do not want to use the Remote control, shall we just let the connector "open" ?

Another question about the mute input on the 10 pin header: what level shall we put on the intput to effectively mute the amp ? (0V /15V ...?)

Perfect Roberto thank you!

yes I m going to use the L aluminium, just to feel better :)

yes you are right, some milar spacer will provide some dielectric and better security.

I have some more question:

you mention on a previous diagram that if we use "unbalance", then we should isolate the DPS from the chassis by using 3 plastic spacer (7mm) instead of the steel one. I can understand that, in fact you want to avoid noise due to "ground loops" trough the chassis, right ?
Even if you try all modules to on a piece of wood (as they have already tried some in the thread)
There is no audible noise, amps are muted.
But if you do the audio measurements, there is still a slight thd in the segment 0 to 400Hz.
This occurs due to the current flowing through the electrolytic capacitors, via loop to inputs.
Also,

when you hear a noise, the problem is different, these modules are well kept in the project in order to avoid surprises of this kind.
Another question about the remote control.
if we do not want to use the Remote control, shall we just let the connector "open" ?
Yes, as default, the DPS-400 start via Main switch,without connections on 2Pins CN.
I add, in case di off or 230Vac cable disconnection, the DPS-400 use a circuit as "sentinel AC" same when switch-off via remote control.

Another question about the mute input on the 10 pin header: what level shall we put on the intput to effectively mute the amp ? (0V /15V ...?)
Mute function play as some mute that drop at minum (not zero), I remember around -23dB. simple put to gnd mute Pin. but this function is not enabled as default,then need one intervent....if I remember right, better I check it.

Last edited:
okay, I couldnt wait, I m really keen to give it a try in pure stereo mode with less glue as possile so directly driven by an ES9023.
I ve put 1dps+1 psu+2 sds in a small box

the PSU is connected to the DPS by 3 big wire directly soldered on the botom side of the PCB between the two 3 pins connectors.

then I have a single 3 pin connector going on 1 single 5 connector, but wires are directly soldered.
Then the second SPS get the power by 3 big wire soldered on the botom side.
same for the low power with little wire, and same for agnd (not shown)

tomorow, hopefully I can try powering the DPS, and then the SPS... let see after a good night!

Hi Roberto, good morning;
just powered my DPS and PSU,

without load I have +-54V.

regarding the other connector, I have -24V, +24V and then "-40V" for the +VD .....!
it seems to be -16V below the negative voltage

in you shematics, you say that +VD is +13-15V ref to VN ... I m confused, can you please confirm ???? !

I prefer not to plug the amp now :) awaiting your feedback

Hi Fabrice,
Uh! Your stereo is perhaps the smallest in the world? considering power/dimensions (there is space for the connectors on the rear s panel?) or just to test sound?
ok, it seems proper connection, certainly unprofessional. (please, put a isolation form under regulators of SDA-400)
please eliminated in blue wire (gnd) connection with gnd layers pcb under the SDA-400.
Yes, in DC mode is Already to gnd but AC has to go to gnd, as original layers.
sorry if I'll note that it is dangerous, the two wires of the same color (red), double check the polarity on the connectors. (+ / -)
A good is that I'm happy if you try in full stereo, just feel if the amplifier has quality, or certain other typical defects such as D Class. (voice and Cymbal in particular)

I'm wait

Last edited:
Hi There,

it rocks :) first start with Take Five of course :)

imediate perception of nice bass and after 3 minutes I realized some strange noise I never minded. gosh thats some strings of the bass... humm need to seriously listen and compare now.

cannt say more for time being, will run it all the day to get better feedbacks. So far so good.

Its really small. it stands on top of the DAC and on top of a 1200VA dual stereo (quad amp)... let see if it can competes :)

Take Five ahh... this means that you have good ears, just what we need.:up:
feel free to bring all your impressions.
Compliments for big Quad.
P.S. You have put isolator form under regulators? without is dangerous.
Sorry, I not realizze from photo...where you connected the negative of the speaker?

Last edited:
Hi
well didnt put isolator yet ...

I took the speaker gnd from here (see red arrow) but on the component side, so I m in an almost perfect star configuration.

I still have questions about AGND... I think you should do a more detailed shematic/recomendation for a stereo config with 2 RCA. shall we bring the 4 AGND and IN- close to the RCA gnd, or it is beter to shortcut the 2 AGND and the 2 IN- with short wires and then bring only a single AGND to the 2 RCA socket.?

after this first hour, I can say that your SPS is "holographic" lots of details which can be felt in position, space, reverb, breath taking... more than my current amp which I was quite proud of. and of course bass are really sharp. Now I ve put an MP3 radio and will listen it all day while working. I feel good :)

cheers

gosh looks like Diana Krall and her piano are in the living room despite the album title (The girl in the other room)
You have equal my favorite albums at this point. Diana Krall I know every note should sound like hehe! listen to his voice at 60-70% of volume and analyze the envelope-bass voice.:)
If you can, listen Daire street first album.-track 4 "Six blade Knife", feel the vibration of the bass drum skin...you hear my job..
-------------------------
We have a different view of the technical principles of the assembly, but it does not matter.
if you use only the unbal input, you can connect directly pin "-Input" to "-Agnd" with a jumper used in the same PC board, put directly in the first two pin right side of first 2pin,in side the connector 10PIN. or solder this two pins,under the 10pin connector.
each RCA, must have its own gnd, each in its own Agnd amplifier.

Last edited:
ouchhh, I see what you mean , I decided to start by the track 6 at first :) then yes track 4 is cool, I will check with a remastered SACD version later as I have just the original CD with quite some noise floor.

Not sure how much I can push without extra heatsink. what do you think about 15-30W average in 6ohm load ? this is the level I m used to for serious listening on the JBL LS.

thanks for the precision about AGND, will correct this asap

ouchhh, I see what you mean , I decided to start by the track 6 at first :) then yes track 4 is cool, I will check with a remastered SACD version later as I have just the original CD with quite some noise floor.

Not sure how much I can push without extra heatsink. what do you think about 15-30W average in 6ohm load ? this is the level I m used to for serious listening on the JBL LS.

thanks for the precision about AGND, will correct this asap
I know these amps for a long time, normally use a simple "L" to dispel a bit of heat to the bottom panel. but this still allows the use of all the power for hours at 4R passive crossover.
In your case, you can find a way to mount this "L", right to the very small space that you have in this mini-case, (I hope the covers have slits for airflow). (even the smps is designed for an "L") there is a screw hole in the profile of the heatsink). If you have decided that this is the final assembly (as mini-case), simply measures the temp after one hour of listening. (My measurements on SDA stereo (as you have), on 4R passive loudspeaker, record a thermal delta of 32 ° , this means 62 degrees with ambient temp 30 °)
I'm glad, at end, the real reason for the sale almost 50%, it is right to introduce these products.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.