Scan-Speak has a new line: The Ellipticor

I didn't care much for Scans ether thinking them overpriced and underperforming with mid bass drivers with irritating rising responses.

For a midwoofer, a rising response that prolongates the baffle step up to the xover point is a nice handy feature that simplifies the xover design: a bigger coil as usual on a 2nd order filter is all you need to low pass and bsc, killing two birds in one shot...:)

it'just the new eliptocoiatal made for sport cars ! they can not resist to G or speed if no ptofiled !

@ScottMose : very attracted by your 3 ways with the SS tweeters : never tried before if i remember... I assume the 999 is near from the floor !

Last edited:
Mid Qt 0,27: Could make a quite small cabinet with total mechanical Q of 0.5. So optimal time responce of mechanical system. Then the extra xmax can be usefull for electrical correction.

Tweeter: New possibilities of lobing design at crossover freq. for vertical off axis. Maybe Linkwitz can make us a optimal filter for eleptic tweeters also;-)

Last edited:
As commented before there exist totally different animals in SS ranges, to suit the taste of different animals too, included trolls...:p

I don't know why you insist to call yourself a troll. I was referring to cph2000 creature.

Yes you do have few joker posts, but you are knowledgeable - and you helped Merlin in thread with SB23NRXS, which is not a small matter.

If you find it bad, it might simply be that you don't belong to the target. If i find it good, i might be a potential prospect.

Btw, I like drivers with rising response, and these tweeters have catched my eye, same as i find nothing appealing at all in the 7100 response, pistonic or not pistonic, Be or not Be...

I don't consider rising response in midrange a bad thing unless there is some anomaly (sudden peak or dip in the response). Rising response in tweeters... no extra air for me please:)

Last edited:
I don't know why you insist to call yourself a troll.

I don't consider rising response in midrange a bad thing unless there is some anomaly (sudden peak or dip in the response). Rising response in tweeters... no extra air for me please:)

Thanks for these good words, but i also know i am trouble, except when people like Merlin have no problem to feed the troll...:D

That said, it seems that sudden peaks and dips are common place in midrange response when a midranger is also required for bass duties...

www.audioexcite.com AudioTechnology 15H521206SDKM

www.audioexcite.com AudioTechnology 15H520613SDK

Regarding rising tweeters, well maybe my ears are aging but every day i have to thank Jordan JX92, Raal 140-15, or old Audax designs for their rising response...:)

For a midwoofer, a rising response that prolongates the baffle step up to the xover point is a nice handy feature that simplifies the xover design: a bigger coil as usual on a 2nd order filter is all you need to low pass and bsc, killing two birds in one shot...:)

I'm with GDO here, my 2-way SS design uses the simplest of LP filters. Careful choice of the first coil's H and DCR made it a breeze to work with and avoid a dedicated BS circuit, while getting ridiculous sensitivity compared to traditional BS compensated works.

Also, fantastic bass and warm natural presentation. I wish I could get the same response in a cabinet half the size though. :) Otherwise the Revelators are thrilling mid-woofers.

Would not mind comparing them to the SB/Satori lines head on though. :)

Best,

E

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Theoretically it should transfer the drive force to the cone at uneven distances from the suspension, so cone breakup related distortion is reduced. I guess....

With that you put uneven tension on the cone, introducing radial resonances on the cone, that is a known issue at oval drivers. And well, they DO have a big resonance and also cone breakup. In fact, the breakup of all the 18cm Revelators (I stayed at scanspeak for comparability of the measurements) is much tamer, same for the resonances.

The eliptical thing with Scan Speak will probably be as succesful as the headlights of the Porsche 911 (996) and we know that true Porsche fans never found these looking right. The same happened to BMW when they hired the wrong person to ruin the traditionally nice BMW look.

Last edited:
The Real Deal

Hi folks,
I heard those speakers. They are made by Troels G. So, the build quality is insane, really. Frank, from sales said, that they had problems to find a company, that can do that kind of machining. To the sound itself... It is very good. Very fast, natural, very low distortion. Very, very, very ;) Although the price is a bit too much.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
So, the build quality is insane, really. Frank, from sales said, that they had problems to find a company, that can do that kind of machining.

That's plain wrong. There are precision machining companies all over the world which use CNC. They had probably problems to find a company that would do it for their price though. Look at the crude toolmarks on the poleplates of the bass or the very uneven bevel on the edge of the poleplates, that's not status quo of metal working. I know that it does not affect the sound but if they demanding such prices, I expect them to do better. I mean, Focal does these things much nicer and even much cheaper drivers deliver better machining quality at such details.