Scan-Speak has a new line: The Ellipticor

Too few are interested in it because they look spooky :) Looks like they are constantly looking at you - "Eye of Sauron" drivers :D

scanspeak_speaker.jpg

attachment.php

Last edited:
I guess we'll never know - they haven't provided us with right kind of measurements :)

Sooner or later Troels G. will show us how civilized these threatening rising responses behave in a room sweet room with the proper Clio measurements and the usual combination of Jantzen caps resistors and coils, for a slowly falling BK curve any serious audiophile would DIY for...:D

Last edited:
Boys and girls, IMO, it's all been done before. :D

Elliptical loudspeakers are a goodish idea. EMI used to make 10x 6 inch speakers years ago. They also made 13x8 inch speakers.

Your grandads 50-y-o radiogram used to use them. :D

Here's a thing that not many people know. 13:8 is one of the great ratios of the Universe. It is exhibited by the (near) 13:8 resonance of Earth and Venus:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentagram#Pentagram_of_Venus

13:8 is actually quite close to the Golden Ratio of 1.618...

This is why it works well. And in a sense it scatters the troublesome resonances of a round speaker better than the seemingly perfect round speaker.

Should the voicecoil or the diaphragm be elliptical? I really don't know. But it certainly breaks conventional wisdom. See image below. :cool:

Attachments

• EMI_Style_10X6_Elliptical_Loudspeaker.JPG
    EMI_Style_10X6_Elliptical_Loudspeaker.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,168
Sey Heeloo to my liitle friend! A Swedish fullranger with instant appeal. Especially with a name like Sinus (Swedish for sine wave apparently) Jokes aside they sound surprisingly good. For what it is astoundingly so. Go back to the late 60's early 70’s Everybody was into elliptical Yamaha, Kef, EMI, Isophon, Philips, Goodmans. Guess style wins out over substance nearly always. What I find interesting is the arm chair canning of the Scans when no one has any hands on read REAL experience of LISTENING!
BTW I LIKE the idea of an eye of sauron speaker staring @ me WOOOHAHA!

Attachments

• 20160709_122047.jpg
    20160709_122047.jpg
    873.3 KB · Views: 551
Last edited:

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
That looks like a Grundig wide band driver. They indeed sound good. Though, I would not assume how a speaker sounds from the shape of the membrane. Besides that, the cone of the 18WE/4542T00 is not oval, just the coil and dustcap is.

Thanks ICG that was the point I was trying to make. But I would bet good money that the oval speaker shape petered out despite its advantages in resonance dissipation due to lack of consumer appeal.
The driver pictured had a Sinus insignia but that could have been done by Grundig as OEM. All I know is heard their potential in the 2nd hand shop & after damping the cab correctly was proven correct. Woops steering away from the orig post!

Last edited:
Oval / elliptical drivers are as common as it gets in car audio, and there's a few new hi-fi units in the works, along with the usual suspects like the infamous B139. Not a bad idea if you want a slim box & as much radiating area as possible. For tweeters, Audax's equally infamous HD3P piezo-electric gold dome comes to mind. I don't recall any with ovoid voice coils though, which appears to be the USP of these. It will be interesting to see the effects; the supplied data does not show any advances over conventional types, but is of too limited a scope to make major judgements on.

Boys and girls, IMO, it's all been done before. :D

Elliptical loudspeakers are a goodish idea. EMI used to make 10x 6 inch speakers years ago. They also made 13x8 inch speakers.

Your grandads 50-y-o radiogram used to use them. :D

The difference is of course that those were elliptical drivers with circular voice coils while we are talking about circular drivers with elliptical coils.

A rather fundamental difference I would have thought and any experience with the one can not be transferred to the other IMO.

I totally would, but I blew my wad of cash on mercury filled speaker cables and rhodium foil capacitors rolled on the thighs of virgins.

Keep on laughing but there are guys here that have between 50000-100000 $ in their systems easily, and they are part of the diy community.

Do you know what is the price of RCA, ALE, Pioneer TAD or GOTO drivers these days ? And we have a number of DIY community members who own them.

These cost 14500 up to this point, and they aren't done yet. I hope/believe they will be better than Tidal Akira.

Last edited:
We ain't all ignurunt! Whaddayasayin? Circa 2008 - 2012 RIP my stereo hit the $ scales @ $50 000 Tannoy Canterbury SE’s hand selected by the chief production engineer and paid for in cash$25 000.
Custom built c core el34 monoblocks @100wrms each replacement value $10 000 TT rig custom ThorensTD 125 mk 1w audio Origami rewired & restored SME 3012 with ZYX Ayame cart
& first gen RCM phono with discrete op amps. I could go on but mongo bored now.