Scan-Speak has a new line: The Ellipticor

Datasheets, buff....:eek: See how you cannot tell customers the naked truth?:p

They always know more than the designers...

If it looks like a duck, it probably is a duck.

We'll no for sure when people make some independent measurements.

Edit: It could be that that is exactly what the designers wanted, I know quite a lot of people who love highly coloured sound. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Oval / elliptical drivers are as common as it gets in car audio, and there's a few new hi-fi units in the works, along with the usual suspects like the infamous B139. Not a bad idea if you want a slim box & as much radiating area as possible.

That's correct. In reality it looks different though, the vast majority of the buyers want 'slimmer, smaller!' - and the industry answers with smaller drivers with low spl and more excursion. And ofcourse that leads to longer voice coil windings, to make up for the low spl, power capability has to go up, the diameter of the VC has to increase too, which makes the coil again heavier. Small- and big-scale dynamics suffer but noone will notice anyway with all the loudness-war-compression-madness, right? And it looks soo nice and with all the technical stuff the manufacturer promises, it's ofcourse the best thing ever since the invention of sliced bread. So the average joe buys it. And there you have it, the circle is complete, the look and the technical mumbo jumbo doesn't allow for oval drivers (remember, the ScanSpeak is actually round?) besides niche market.
Though, honestly, I doubt the optics of the cone makes this one a main attraction.

For tweeters, Audax's equally infamous HD3P piezo-electric gold dome comes to mind. I don't recall any with ovoid voice coils though, which appears to be the USP of these. It will be interesting to see the effects; the supplied data does not show any advances over conventional types, but is of too limited a scope to make major judgements on.

Well, the HD3P was very interesting but it was only oval to lessen radial foil resonance. Maybe the D3404/552000 tweeter actually gets some advantages from the shape, the diaphragma size is unusually big, so it probably improves the radiating pattern.

The difference is of course that those were elliptical drivers with circular voice coils while we are talking about circular drivers with elliptical coils.

Exactly! While I can see possible advantages from the shape at the tweeter, I cannot imagine the oval VC provides any benefits to a round cone/driver - except for being that unicorn some ppl have to have.

The impedance curves of these speakers hint to severe resonances.

That's exactly what I already said! It doesn't make sense to do something different just to be different, if it doesn't provide any advantages.

I would not use them no matter how cheap they are.

Oh, believe me, they won't be cheap. ;) I expect them to have a suggested retail price of about 500.

If it looks like a duck, it probably is a duck.

>> Oh, well << :rolleyes: :D :p

J/K, I totally agree with you there, that WILL show.

According to whom? The voices in your head? Nobody has said anything of the kind. For your information, my own favourite Scan units are 9900, 7100 and 7140. I don't much care for any of their current midbass drivers.

People read what they want to read, not what's written - so you shouldn't be upset over a trolling comment. I was quite surprised that there were so little of it so far...

Last edited:
According to whom? The voices in your head? Nobody has said anything of the kind. For your information, my own favourite Scan units are 9900, 7100 and 7140. I don't much care for any of their current midbass drivers.

And these show better curves than the new ones?:hypno2:

Because all the buzz generated in this thread is based on our individual likes/dislikes on curves esthetics, nothing more i'm afraid.... And of course, as usual, I AM the troll, lol...

Last edited:
...Because all the buzz generated in this thread is based on our individual likes/dislikes on curves esthetics, nothing more i'm afraid....

It's their fault threads like this exist. When they provide us with right kind of measurements, there will be no buzz about their fugly drivers that, judging by the curves they did provide, seems to underperform. We will see if they do, as soon as someone buys it to test it.

I didn't care much for Scans ether thinking them overpriced and underperforming with mid bass drivers with irritating rising responses. Their interpretation of the XT25 in the Discovery range and their redoing of the vifa P 17 turned me around. Having been burnt by the nasty Chinese P17 seeing quality of these actually improve beyond all former incarnations was like a breath of fresh air. After hearing their 10F fullrangers and the 7100 tweeters I'm not afraid to admit a bit of a fan. Still a bit hit & miss subjecively sound wise on some models but the quality of construction is undeniably excellent

Fault... I'd rather say this thread is part of their marketing plan...;)

As it is not too important if a majority don't like and criticize a product when a small minority really loves it, I guess for the moment they are not too unhappy with the result...:xfingers:

I'm not sure that there's "no bad publicity" policy in speaker manufacturer world.

If it is someones plan, it's a lousy one.

I'm not sure that there's "no bad publicity" policy in speaker manufacturer world.

If it is someones plan, it's a lousy one.

If you find it bad, it might simply be that you don't belong to the target.

If i find it good, i might be a potential prospect.

As commented before there exist totally different animals in SS ranges, to suit the taste of different animals too, included trolls...:p

Btw, I like drivers with rising response, and these tweeters have catched my eye, same as i find nothing appealing at all in the 7100 response, pistonic or not pistonic, Be or not Be...