SB Acoustics Textreme

Time will show if they're worth the price - one is for sure - price does not reflects costs but rather what SB thinks they can get for drivers. When it comes to performance I think that for this price they should at least come with much improved motor that would challange sensitivity of ellipticor.

Reactions: 1 user
Time will show if they're worth the price - one is for sure - price does not reflects costs but rather what SB thinks they can get for drivers. When it comes to performance I think that for this price they should at least come with much improved motor that would challange sensitivity of ellipticor.

pretty happy w parameters .. smaller ellipticor doesnt go that deep .. more a wideband mid

pretty happy w parameters .. smaller ellipticor doesnt go that deep .. more a wideband mid

... and that's correct about ellipticor - finnaly SS come to their senses about design needs (surely not about the price). 6,5" is not a bass driver because no 6,5" can give real bass, unless it has like 50mm xmax (but then it's going to be 75dB/W). What's the point in making so small bass driver? I'm long done with small bass drivers and for me the real bass needs SD. Only driver with textreme that can be of interest to me is sensitive mid around 4 or 5" in size.

Did'nt they just cheat a little, by comparing two drivers, one with 4 ohms and one with 8 ohm - so they get more sound out of the one with 4 ohms, cause it draws more power from the amp?
SS Elipticor 18WE/8542T00(8 ohm) is 89dB
Bill Poster claim Satori will see a sensitivity bump, meaning if that is the case, the SBA has to redesign the motor - increase strength so it becomes more efficient.

The 8 ohm version of Satori paper and TX has a sensitivity of 87.5dB. SS Elipticor has a sensitivity of 89dB. You state and I quote:

Sorry mate, I wasnt making comparison with Ellipticor in that quote.
6.5" Ellipticor - someone was suggesting was more a midrange- is a similar sensitivity to the MR series Satori, at least the 4 ohm versions are.. nearly identical

SS Elipticor 18WE/8542T00(8 ohm) is 89dB
Bill Poster claim Satori will see a sensitivity bump, meaning if that is the case, the SBA has to redesign the motor - increase strength so it becomes more efficient.

Again. I was pretty clear in my separate posts.
The latter post was comparing the Textreme with paper satori.
The post repliying about Ellipticor was a comparison to MR series Satori. No redesign necessary
Thanks.

Last edited:
piotr z said:
6,5" is not a bass driver because no 6,5" can give real bass, unless it has like 50mm xmax (but then it's going to be 75dB/W). What's the point in making so small bass driver?

They may be small if you have a big listening room and or want to listen at high output levels, but for small rooms and modest drive levels they can work very well, and you can double them up if you need to drive them at higher outputs

Okay, thank you for clarifying - but Elipticor is still 1 dB higher. No matter, sensitivity is only a portion of the things we need to look at and I am not ready to fork out almost $1600 for a pair of the 18WE/8542T00. The pricing is insanity, but some will buy them.

That driver 18WE is $1095 in Australia with an sd 133 compared to the MW16P-8 Satori 6.5" Mid-Woofer, Sba Satori Range | Wagner Online Electronic Stores $219 and an sd of 119 so no brainer in Australia and the sensitivity difference doesn't warrant that extreme cost . Imagine an "Elsinore " speaker build using Ellipticor Would there be any hope of a big performance gain relative to the price ?

They may be small if you have a big listening room and or want to listen at high output levels, but for small rooms and modest drive levels they can work very well, and you can double them up if you need to drive them at higher outputs

Now I have like ~~ 25m2 and I'm using 13" woofers - wouldn't mind 15". I'm using tube amps so sensitivity is a must. Beside - my finding is that large woofers sound much better - kind of natural and effortless.