SB Acoustics Textreme

It should be Al/Al-Mg domes. If we look at SBA's Be domes, they don't show that type of breakup. Irregularities above 20kHz can be from multiple sources, so issues above 20-25kHz can't be exclusively traced to the dome material. Take TW29DN which is a soft dome tweeter, it has som elevated energy above 10kHz and evidence of cone breakup at 15kHz which can be seen off-axis (SBA's own measurement), but its not evident in the harmonic measurements (see link) while SB26STC can't be said to show this. Hificompass measurements show different content off-axis compared to SBA's while on axis is fairly similar.

Satori TW29DN | HiFiCompass
SB Acoustics SB29SDAC-C000-4 | HiFiCompass

The question I have regarding TeXtreme as a tweeter material is: What does it solve or contribute to ? With the existence of already nice tweeters from SBA, right now its difficult to see what this TX tweeter will offer. TeXtreme as midrange and woofer material is much more interesting.
Sorry, you mean to say that they're using different dome materials for the different impedance versions?

Sorry, you mean to say that they're using different dome materials for the different impedance versions?
That's an odd question.. he he. No and I'm not sure why you are asking. So had to check the Fr response for both. The 8ohm has less cone breakup above 20kHz@60 degree. The only reason this exist - in my mind - is less motor control on the 4ohm. Its not an issue bellow 20kHz, but non the less, interesting to see. Thanks for pointing it out :)

2x MW16TX-8: Sealed vs Aperiodic vs Ported (Bass reflex) - Simulated

Ql is the Q-value due to unwanted enclosure and woofer leakage losses
Qa is the Q-value due to enclosure damping material (or absorption losses)
Qp is the Q-value due to port losses

In normal cases Ql is in the range 5-20. Ql is 7 in most cases, but 15 to 30 if the enclosure has very little leakage. Ql may be 7 even with an enclosure with no leakage because the driver unit itself may have leakages.

A box with moderate lining has a Qa of about 30. A heavily stuffed box can have a Qa of 3. Qa is 7 for about a half-filled enclosure.

A perfect port will have absolutely no losses in which case Qp is very large. A good port, one which does not significantly restrict air flow, has about 100 of Q-value.

For the sealed cab, I used a Ql = 30 to simulate a very tight cab.
For the aperiodic cab, I used a Ql = 1.9 which kept the Group Delay bellow 3ms.
For the ported cab, I used a Ql = 30 just like for the sealed.

Keep an eye on the phase response (gray curve in the impedance column), impedance and group delay (transient response)

Which enclosure would you build and why ?

Click the X in the bottom left corner for full size.

Attachments

• 2 x MW16TX-8 Woofers in parallel.jpg
    2 x MW16TX-8 Woofers in parallel.jpg
    618.8 KB · Views: 1,225
Last edited:
I would wait with the wow reaction until they are available from other vendors. Don't complain yet unless you have heard them. There is no 3rd party measurement or proper listening reviews yet. If the performance is top notch, then the price might be justified. Its a new material, some new (perhaps) motor features etc.