SB Acoustics SB34NRXL75-8 vs SB29NRX75-6 vs SB29NRX75-8

Joined 2005
Paid Member
@hifijim

Consider measuring closer to the woofer
eg. 50cm, 31.6cm, 10cm, or 5 cm.

This will allow +6, +10, +20, +26 dB higher signal to background noise ratio, and more accurately assess the HD of your SB34RNX.

Of course, your microphone needs to be able to manage that without much distortion itself. The Audix probably could, but some clues are when Distortion goes up 20dB, when the SPL only went up 10dB.

If this happens, then you will have to reduce the input level to the device under test.

@HiFiCompass measures at 31.6cm and I think that’s a good compromise to increase SNR by 10dB.

The rationale for my commentary is that you may find that your SB34 non L model measures better than what your current
“ 1m in-room” response currently shows, and the gap between the non-L and L may be smaller than you think. Particularly when intend to use it, at the bottom of a 3 way under 200Hz.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
SB Acoustics has some gems in their program but their "normal" driver range can't compete with the best from ScanSpeak.
Hi Iam, which others would you rate as gems? Any 15"s? I have no experience with SB acoustics, but there is a compression driver which I would like to try. I have checked the small coaxial drivers (5-6"), but it seems Sica has better offers (my application would not be hi-fi with the coaxes).
I only use 8" ScanSpeak drivers (which are also fabulous!) and a LAB 12 which surprised me with also pretty good quality and low THD
I found this comment specially interesting, I have 3 sealed LAB12s going below 80-90Hz and I was wondering how the SB34NRXL75 would compare. The labs sound very good and volume is small (sealed). The SB34NRXL75 seems to be a better option if crossing over higher, say at 150 Hz, but, how would you compare both below 100hz?

I don't know the SB Audience drivers. They seem good for the money but not sure if they can compete with a little more expensive B&C or 18Sound? The compression drivers are interesting for Power HiFi use - but I really like DE360 for that. Coax don't look very promising to be honest.
There is a HiFi 15" which looks very good in a closed cabinet - but had no use for that up to now.

I'm not a friend of heavy membrane hard surround long stroke drivers. But that's definitely some bias cause the LAB12 really works and measures and sounds good! The REAL strength of the SB34NRXL is the use in a 3way, up to 4-500Hz. It is still great as subwoofer of course but there are plenty of good chassis in this range. Past 200Hz ... not so much.
So when you are happy with your LABs there is no reason to change them until you want to change something in your system in a bigger scale. Just build 5 more and do a 2x4 double bass array ... :cool:

I don't know the SB Audience drivers.
Thanks for your reply. They seem to have at least two which are well regarded, the 15" for OB and the Rosso compression driver (I cant remember the model names, but they are popular here as you might know).
It is still great as subwoofer of course but there are plenty of good chassis in this range. Past 200Hz ... not so much.
This was an interesting comparison Link .

However, there are some ScanSpeak drivers which provide something that no other driver can match.
Hello hifijim,

I would like to learn which drivers they are and what performance behaviors they may offer over Acoustic Elegance, Audio Technology (Skaaning) or pro woofers.

I don’t need a lot of power handling as my listening levels are lower. Quality is my goal.

Regards