Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The 9610/610 have 25C 1.8A and 100C 1A drain current DC absolute max spec. Means their core will handle 1.8A to 1A between 25-100 degrees Celsius. Core is hotter than the outer case and sink. At 258mA you have plenty of headroom before challenging those specs. In general, for reliable long term operation and acceptable home hi-fi temperature, look for no more than 55C on the UBiB sinks.

I have a few of Samsung SFP9610 and Vishay IRF9610.
There was no need to curve trace them but I did anyway and got interesting results.
Behaviour is different.

Attachments

• 9610.png
    9610.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 85
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
They also state different enough Ciss Coss Crss in their datasheets. So they are same power class mainly but not the same die. Especially in such low test Id for Mosfets there will be more pronounced differences in curves between not exactly same parameter types.

The Leds shouldn't change brightness as you adjust the Vout pot. They are supposed to use constant current. Check Q2 Q3 for a start.
I have done some more measurement according to your suggestions and I found VGS for M1=FQP3P20 is 5,15volts, Vbe for Q1=BC-327-40 is 0,
62volts. Voltage over R4 is 0,57volts. With that I think this first section working pretty correct.
Next section is voltage over R5 0,17 and voltage over R6 is 0,17 Vbe for Q2 BC560 is ca 1volt and Q3 is 4,5volts and voltage drop over R7 is zero. And the leds light up.
Last section (may suffer from previous stage) M2=IRF530 VGS= 0,42volts no voltage drop over R8 and finally Q4 = BC327-40 Vbe is 1,03volts.

All set up for 5volts 100mA and output is ca 4,7volts right now with a 33ohm 3W wirewound resistor as load. I have measured IDSS > 7,5mA at J3 PF5102

Any help or suggestions is most valueable,

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Vbe Q1 must be about 0.6V as much as VR1. VR4 suggests normal 2mA Q1 bias. VGS FQP is normal for the type at over 5V. So yes, your CCS section looks like working correctly.
Vbe Q2=VR5. Normally about 0.6V. Something's wrong with Q2 and/or Q3. VR7=0 shows no bias current. Pull out & measure/replace Q2 Q3.
If they will prove good, then J2 must be bad not biasing them.
Last section may suffer from the previous stage indeed. When it will fully work expect 3.5-4V VGS from the M2 IRF at this range of settings.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That test is sufficient to just know if transistors are broken or not. Nothing about meeting spec. Maybe its enough of a test for now.
J2 because a JFET it takes an Ohm meter to compare its RDS with healthy ones of same type and alike IDSS. RDS magnitude is inverse to IDSS. Must not read near a short neither in the kΩ.
If you will not find bad semiconductors in any section, there could exist a layout bug if its your own design board on first time assembly. Verify all connections proper vs the schematic with the DMM's continuity beeper.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
4.9V should be within any 5V nominal gear's tolerance of operation. Why's 4.9 fixed? Using only Leds? No output voltage trimmer installed?
Chinese R-Core or older French shop sourced one? What are those graphs showing, what is red and what is yellow?