Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Iload 0.8A and -for example- at this load spare current on shunt device is 0.1A, so M1 overall current is 900mA.

R1: 600/900 = 0.6666R 0.56R .. 0.62R minimum 3-5W.

5V (DC_out - DC_in) voltage on M1 and 0.9A produces 4.5W dissipation.
Shunt dissipation is 5V*0.1A= 0.5W.

Overall dissipation on the heatsink is 5W.

This heatsink IMHO is insufficient (poorly designed, not anodized, the lamellas are horizontals, no enough air flow -convection-).

It has about 5-8 K/W thermal resistance(without forced convection), so 5W produces 25-40 Celsius grade OVER the base -ambient- temperature (25 C ), so heatsink temperature would reach even 50-65C grade.

Hi @Salas ,
I am newbie, I will use this ubib (photos) to power a new Dac with 5v and 500ma Power requirements.
Is it compatible??
Thanks
Antônio 20200207_093349.jpg 20200207_093325.jpg 20200207_093310.jpg 20200207_093247.jpg

Hi,
I attached one more heatsink. I think now would be ok. I can add a fan in necessary.
Any help is welcome.
Thanks View attachment 815910

I think only the bigger heatsink will do already.. But the way it is posisioned now(fins downward) will close off the airflow. So no cooling down of the sink.
If you bring it in standing position (vertical fins), small side down a few centimeters from from the groundplane, you will have flow. Just try it and mesure the temp on the metal, just above the fets. I think it will reach 45/50 Celcius. Will be oke.

Last edited:
I think only the bigger heatsink will do already.. But the way it is posisioned now(fins downward) will close off the airflow. So no cooling down of the sink.
If you bring it in standing position (vertical fins), small side down a few centimeters from from the groundplane, you will have flow. Just try it and mesure the temp on the metal, just above the fets. I think it will reach 45/50 Celcius. Will be oke.
Thanks.
I will try and measure the temperature.
I will get back
Thanks again
Antônio

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
In shunt regulator you want the load to consume near to the constant current setting. The less the load consumes the difference is burned off in the shunt itself. Just 100mA diff would be thermally optimum. Dummy load value is easy, calculate a power resistor by Ohm's law. Rdum=Vout/ILoad.

Read the instructions.