Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Of course it can but some high frequency switching noise could still couple over various antennas like traces and cabling. Or remain at ground side if the SMPS originally has there. If the shunt's output ends up switching ripple free or not it should be verified with a scope.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Any additional local caps beyond some required small bypass bring an effect. The more you put there the more they dominate. Is it a useful effect or not for the situation is another matter. Mostly subjective. Sometimes there is a certain uF technical demand in a chip's datasheet though. Really high should be considered 100-200uF of total extra and above.

Any additional local caps beyond some required small bypass bring an effect. The more you put there the more they dominate. Is it a useful effect or not for the situation is another matter. Mostly subjective. Sometimes there is a certain uF technical demand in a chip's datasheet though. Really high should be considered 100-200uF of total extra and above.

Basically I did without any consideration, and just some days later I realized that it can be a wrong decision.
I'm removing them and testing the ffect on the voice. I some result is available I will post.

Thanks again

closed account
Joined 2007
Of course it can but some high frequency switching noise could still couple over various antennas like traces and cabling. Or remain at ground side if the SMPS originally has there. If the shunt's output ends up switching ripple free or not it should be verified with a scope.

I would be curious if anybody has tested this configuration. I am very interested to use your regulator to power the Neurochrome universal buffer in a Purifi based amplifier. But I would not want to use a linear power supply, this would defeat the goal of compactness and high efficiency (in a sense, regulators reduce the efficiency, but SMPS + regulator > LPSU+ regulator from this point of view).

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Is there any concern with running the board at 5v? I seem to recall reading a comment about the last versions that there may have been an issue running them that at the very low end of their operating range. Would the SSLV1.3 still be better than a Reflektor-D board running at 5v?

Not an issue really. Rather an expectation to perform little better beyond 6V. Due to the J3 JFET allowed more breathing space of VDS vs VGS then. Thus lowest IDSS J3 available is advised there for a 5V output situation so to have less intrinsic VGS for helping the matter.

Some prefer the 1.3 on everything, some the REF-D when for digital. Especially with the JFET instead of R6 resistor REF-D. In any case both won't let you down. For 1.3 the C2 value and type choice or bypass with film cap is also permitted if you want to experiment, but no C3 tweaking.

Hi Sálas. You were right.
I changed it back. The voice became extremly clear.
You can see rhe result here

Sz